Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you consider your style to be. I dont know if I have a style as far as I dont think my home decor is modern or country. I love older things but I also like a lot of color. We are big fans of building our own furniture or repurposing things we find at good will so we can work on a budget.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm into the cottage style but my overall look is eclectic because I also use Moroccan and Ottoman elements (like antique copper vessels and so forth). But I love the white cottage look.

That said, since we just moved here this summer and I decorated the whole apartment at once - and from scratch! - it has a very pulled together look, and I did it all in a gray/silver & purple color scheme with a lot of white. So the walls are gray, the furniture is charcoal or white, and there is a fair amount of purple textiles. The overall look is both luxurious (because of the silver and purple) and airy (because of the white). The copper grounds it and the gray makes it very "now." I LOVE it. My decor lifts my mood, makes me proud to share my home with guests, and makes chores a pleasure.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Depends on the room -- my kitchen is a semi-modern Industrial, bathroom is modern Industrial, master bedroom is Italian Tuscan, Diva's room is neo-bohemian, living room is in transition :lol: on it's way to neo-Asian

Now, what I would REALLY like is vintage. Not 70's, more 50's -- just not going to happen in here because I am not buying new things for THIS place, when I know I want to move, and would be heartbroken if I finally got everything I wanted, and not be able to fit it in the new house.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My style is Art Deco / Mission. Love the 20s-30's look.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I don't know the official name but many people have described our home as southern elegance. I can assure you I am not elegant in the least!

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Ours is traditional ecclectic. Most of our furniture is traditional pieces from my grandparents or his parents, with a few country style items I haven't been able to get rid of yet. New things we have bought are "mission" styled. My lamps, pillows and accessories are modern or ethnic.

My kitchen is vintage ecclectic, which is a fancy way of saying most of it was bought at yard sales years ago. I have a lot of bright 50's and 60's era Pyrex and Fire King cookware, and a lot of Depression Glass on display. My serving pieces are milk glass or white china from thrift shops.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I let the style of the house dictate the decorating. Our current home was built in the 1950's so we have an updated version of mid-century style.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I'm going to call my style 'rooms with stuff in them'.
The initial goal was Swedish cottage. I think the end result was Canadian bungalow (which is, of course, what I started with).

Oh well, I spend more time looking out the window than around the room. I can't really compete with that.
<-----

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
My home is chocolate brown with tan and paneling it has a modern sectional, with glass tables and oak side tables. it is Modern country. with lots of vintage stuff thrown in..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a victorian home. Which i love victorian stuff, love vintage and primitive decorating.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do love how everyones style is so different! I had a friend over the other day who had never been to my house. She said being in my house made her want to craft!

·
4,028 Posts
Sadly, style seems to be something my home lacks right now. Greebo is modern and I could live in a Saxon Round house with dirt floors, a central fire and outdoor plumbing. LOL

I do have a lot of iron style furniture (dining set table frame with glass top, a four poster bed with scroll work around the upper frame, and shelving units from Ikea). Beyond those things... it is pretty much wooden Ikea book cases, a few antiques and mix and match.

Greebo informs me he likes medieval styles (which I could go for) but needs modern equipment.... and plumbing. I am enjoying the steam punk look as well.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I like honey oak furniture. the style around here is stuff we found at S.A.,estate sales, and garage sales and liked. We have a ton of books but no knicknacks or things hung on the wall. I guess style is beyond us.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't know that I would call anything in my house a "style" lol, it's just pieced together over time with what we've been given and what we bought used. I do tend to lean towards "earthy" colors (greens, burgundy, tans, and wood finishes) and a most of my decorative pieces are usually native american in style. So, maybe early native american lodge style? lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a traditional style with some florals. The main colors are sage green, burgandy and cream with cherry colored wood. I like more of a romantic looks, but I always wind up buying things that have cleaner lines and less frou frou.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Mostly my style is minimalist. I don't like knickknacks, stuff all over the walls, too much pattern, etc. I do like clean and clear spaces, and balance. Most wall color is a sundrenched Tuscany yellow/gold, but the accent wall in the living room is sage, and the accent wall in the family room is rust. We have ceramic tile and hardwood flooring, with large area rugs to anchor the conversational areas. Furniture is dark oak, and tends toward the mission style. We collect pottery, and have it displayed or in use in every room. We also are book lovers, and one whole wall in the family room is shelves. We like a comfortable relaxed look, no clutter, places to put up our feet and places to set a cup of coffee. Come on over and enjoy a cup with us!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
While I am trying deperately for a style NOW (see previous post) for most of our married life, our style has been Goodwill/ homeschooling!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts