Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious when do you start Christmas Shopping? 6 months? A few months before? Year round? 1 week before (LOL)?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I usually start shopping a month or so before hand. But this year I've already started thinking about it so I may start picking up gifts here and there. :D

·
27,948 Posts
I try to pick things up all year long. Never know what goodies are lurking in the clearance section. It's like a treasure hunt, lol.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have picked up a few things. This year I'm getting some nice yard sale stuff to give. I'm tired of going broke for Christmas each year. DH says "retail is for suckers" lol.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I start buying for the following Christmas on December 26th ;) if money allows. This year we are only buying gifts for the kids and each other. No more extended family....there are just too many of us, and we can't afford to do it any more.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
it all depends on what is going on with money. if i see something that would be good for someone on the list and i have the extra money for it, i'll get it then especailly if it is on sale or clearanced. if not, i'll make a note of it and check again later to see if it is on sale when i have the extra money.
i wait until closer to christmas for the kids. less time for it to be discovered, and their tastes change quicker than adults' do.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I buy for the neices and nephews all year. Amazon.com has some great toy sales ($5.00 toys that are usually $25.00-$40.00 and that qualify for free shipping) and I buy them and put them in the basement. Last year I had a whole bunch of free Christmas wrapping paper that someone had given me, so I also wrapped them early to make the season less hectic for me.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I shop year round......... but I make most of the gifts we give

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I too begin Dec26th!
I already have my inlaws gifts in the closet. The boys are going to get more money than gifts, now being teens they are just to hard to choose for!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I keep a gift closet (cubby hole, really!) year-round. I start shopping right after Christmas. I pick up things all year to use either for birthday/graduations/Christmas/whatever. My goal every year is to be completely done by Thanksgiving... I've been close, but never completely done yet!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This yr will be difficult to find things for my dd...My son is still at an easy age....sigh...It's just soooooo expensive anymore!

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I try to shop year round but don't always make it...so far I've got some on clearance, working on a bath basket about 1/2 done. and a few items on lay-away...do really need to get more done though.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I shop year round, always looking for bargains on gift items. If I see something that I know "so and so" would like or need and it's on sale, I pick it up if I can afford to at that time. My only problem is buying things for DH. I end up wanting to bless him ahead of time, so I give him gifts early and then go and get more! :) That's okay though, he deserves to be blessed as often as possible. He's just the best guy in the world as far as I'm concerned and I love him beyond all reason!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I really do try to pick something up every month but that doesn't always work. A very dear friend and I plan a very special day of shopping and yes it is the day after Thanksgiving!!!:D We have a blast and spend the day out with the crowds!! We plan the day very well so it isn't too bad!!!!

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
The past 2 years I have kept a gift closet and it has been a huge help, financially and psychologically. I still have to fill in the blanks in December, but my in laws were done at a Kohls 80% off sale in February.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I shop year round. I am actually already finished except for DH and my boys. Everyone else is accounted for. I keep a gift closet and fill it as I find something for someone. I even take birthday gifts out of the gift closet. Makes life simplier for me.:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I shop all year as well. I'm pretty much done except for DH, and some cross-stitch projects that are gifts and ornaments that I make every year. We only buy for our own two kids and DS's girlfriend, our parents, and small things for couple of my friends and neighbors. We stopped large extended family gifts - it just got too much.

This year I'm making fabric gift bags to reuse so that'll be another project to get done before Thanksgiving weekend when I'll wrap everything. :reindeer:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I shop year round always looking for the clearance item that is a bargain of a lifetime. I need to have a designated gift closet. I was packing up a closet last week and found bathrobes I bought from Target online for 5 bucks YEAR BEFORE LAST. Oh well I guess they will make great gifts this year. LOL

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I would love to say that I shop all year long but unfortunately I usually get started the last few weeks before Christmas.

Robin that is too funny. It is amazing the things you find when you move isn't it, LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts