Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this today. It's been nice and warm here the last few days and the heat hasn't kicked on in the morning for a couple of days now. So, I turned off the heat hoping it won't be cold again.
I have heard that some people have it on between two certain dates and if it gets cold again the person would just live with it. I am thinking about leaving it off even in the morning. What do you think?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine is OFF 3 days now:yippee:

·
Registered
579 Posts
We turned off our heat a week ago. It's been a little chilly in the morning, but bearable. If it is in the 50's at night I turn it off. Just our preference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ours has been off for about 2 months now. I had to turn it on for a few days last month when it got down in the upper 30s at night. But as long as it is at least 64-65 degrees inside, it doesn't come on. It has been warm for a few weeks now, 70-80s during the day. The neighbors have their air conditioner on! I am enjoying the fresh air through my windows. I don't play to turn the A/C on anytime soon.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mine is off right now and has been for the last few days. If it gets cold again I will turn it on if need be.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
We turn ours off some time in February, but if it is still cold then we wait until April.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have had mine off for about 2 weeks, and thats in cold NY. It got down to 55 and I had to turn it on for a day or two. We will deal with it, if it gets cold again.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
We're still getting frost in the mornings, so I turn the heat off during the day, and on at night, though if it is cool, we use the fireplace so we don't need the furnace as much. It's almost too hot during the day, yet just below freezing during the night.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Ours has been off for about a week now, it's been in the 70's past couple days, but funny thing is, the house feels so cool, I love it! :)

To answer the question, we usually turn it off once the weather starts getting warmer, now even if it starts cooling off outside we will still keep the heat off.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
we turned ours off about a month ago, well its on for an hour each morning to heat the water but thats it. If it gets cold Ill just put it back on again during the day but Im hoping not too, it gets a little cool in the evenings but I just wrap up in a blanket and thats enough. Im hoping not to put it on again till at least september

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Our heat has been off for eight days.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
As soon as the temp in the house can stay above 68 on its own!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am happy to report that our house stayed a nice, comfy 70 degrees over night without the heat last night, even though the overnight low was in the 40's. I am going to do my best to keep it off this week as we are in for a couple of days with highs only in the upper 50's. The rest of the week it will be in the 60's.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I bought this condo back in 1998... I think I have turned the heat on a total of 10 times... mostly before a big storm and I know we will lose power, so I jack the heat to try to keep us warm all night.

My house is a constant 80.. something wrong with the heat of the building. It's wonderful in winter, but a horror in the summer!!!

I do know they heat in the building is raised in October and lowered in March.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We never regularly have our system on heating or cooling. I have the thermostat in the off position unless it's under about 40 degrees outside during the night (we just bundle up!) or hot enough that our little fans just won't do the trick. Practically every room in the house has a ceiling fan and we have 2 oscillating ones that we move around depending on what room we're in if they are needed ;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If it is above 50 outside my heat is off, the house we rent doesn't have any windows so I don't have the option to open windows to circulate air when it is warmer, we do have fans for every room. If the fans can't keep it under 80 in here then we turn the ac on.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I never turn mine off, just way down. I live in an apt where heat is included. We have had nice weather the last few days so I have it set at 55 degrees and if it gets lower than that it will kick in again. I am hoping we are done with the snow and cold for now :).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Our heat has been off since Easter. We had it off before that but then we had a nice cold spell, so I turned it on few a few days.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Ours is set so low (59) it doesn't come on much. But I tend to turn it off as soon as it's warm enough for us to keep the windows open.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
We live in the deep South so ours has been off about six weeks. It got cold the first week of April, dropped into the 30s. We may have turned the heat on one of those mornings to take out the chill.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts