Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had a dream that I was going to Prague for my mom's funeral. And as I was running through the Honolulu International Airport I found myself in a dark hallway-- I turned around to see where I just came from because I didn't remember intending to go down this hallway. When I turned back around I bumped into the crucified Jesus. I could feel him and smell him... When he opened his mouth to talk there was dribbles of blood as he spoke. I can't remember exactly what he said to me but the jist of it was that I need to stop drinking otherwise it would kill me and my family.

What's odd about this is that I don't drink often. I have a glass of wine occasionally with dinner when my father-in-law brings wine to the table. Or on special occasions when the whole family gets together. Even then I never get belligerent because of the babies.

But-- my mom was an alcoholic. She didn't start drinking heavily until my youngest brother (now 18) was in his early teens.

I know that alcoholism can be passed down-- but for the most part I believe that it's a coping mechanism, that's learned. I don't do this. But I wonder if I have the potential for it. I mean, in my dream I was going to my mom's funeral.

*shrug*

I don't know. I told my husband about it and he said that it could be a vision. But I don't know. I've never had a dream of Jesus so I'm a little spooked by it.

Has anyone else had dreams like this? Does anyone read dreams? I would love to have this psychoanalyzed.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hmmm....that's a spooky one! Do you feel like you are "paying for the sins" of your mother's alcoholism? Maybe you would like to be able to have a drink without worrying about becoming like your mother? I don't know you, so I'm just taking guesses here! Also, I AM NOT a dream analyst. Just guessing!

Also, an airport is all about arrivals and departures--maybe you feel like you're at a turning point in your life? Ready to start something or stop something?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I've had a lot of deja vu experiences. Before my ex and I split up, and while I was just friends with :smooch:, but who I had very strong feelings for, I had a dream. My ex and I were in a house and I was looking out a window. I could see :smooch: standing on a road looking right at me. He was waiting for me to come out of the house I was in. He was standing right beside a car. I watched a bunch of people get into the car. Then my ex came over and tried to lead me away from the window. :smooch: looked very sad, then got into the car and drove away. And I was very very sad and miserable.

When I woke up, I knew what it meant -- that I could miss my chance at being with the man I really loved if I didn't do something soon. A few months later, I finally worked up the courage to leave my ex and start a new life. If I hadn't done what I have when I did it, I would've missed the chance of a lifetime. Eventually :smooch: might've found someone new and I would've missed the greatest opportunity I'll ever have. I wouldn't be with the man I love -- I'd still be miserable in a life with a man I never did really love and who didn't respect me at all.

Because of a dream and the courage that I built from it, I made a decision, left my ex, and have never turned back. This is the man I'm meant to be with.

If I were to interpret your dream as anything, I would say it's a warning. Jesus might not've been Jesus -- this could've been your subconcious' way of getting your attention. Who would be more powerful in the mind of a North American than Jesus? And my views would be that it is your brain's way of saying, "You know, Mom became an alcoholic. We should be careful, we wouldn't want to end up the same way. We should stop drinking altogether." You yourself know that you don't drink enough to consider it a problem, but your subconcious might be saying "What if..." And it happens. :smooch:'s Dad was an alcoholic for years. He never expected it to happen to him -- his parents were never alcoholics or anyone else that he can imagine. But he developed a habit. So while you might not think it'll happen to you, your subconcious is saying to you, "What if it does? What if we end up an alcoholic in five or ten years? We should put up a road block here and now. Hmmm, who could we use to get our message across? Oh, Jesus! Jesus would be the perfect person to deliver the message. Now, what can we use as an example? Hmmm.... Oh, Mom dying would be good, too -- because we'll just naturally assume she drank herself to death."

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The bible does say that God will speak to us through dreams and visions. I suspect it was a dream because it happened while you were sleeping. I believe that visions occur while you are awake. It doesn't really matter if it was a dream or a vision, because God uses both venues to speak to us and it may be that you are at a cross roads in life and it may be time to choose which path you will take. JMHO

·
Registered
579 Posts
I believe in dreams and visions. I also think their are certain subjects that we are more sensitive to. Alcoholism is your subject. Yes your dream is telling you something and yes I think you know instinctively what that is.

I also think that Jesus comes to us in different ways. It could be through a dream, another person or situation. I think we get these lessons throughout our lives and if we don't learn the lesson a bigger lesson comes along. Often in the form of a heartache. Your dream could be a blessing waiting for you to embrace it.

Perhaps you would benefit from going to adult children of alcoholics? Talking to other people who have been in similiar situations. I have a friend who goes to such a group and she has found it to be helpful to her. She also doesn't drink and is terrified she will become an alcoholic. There is no cost involved and you don't even have to talk if you don't want to.

This is a different situation but I had a dream about a dog. I saw this little black dog at our human society. I knew instinctively and the next morning I went to the human society and found my dog. She was a purebred skipperke. I went home and got my husband and explained to him about my dream and that the dog was there. He went and met her and we took her home immediately. He fell in love with that dog immediately.

Now my husband is a big man, over six foot tall and around 300 pds. He holds this little dog like she is his baby. (she is his baby) He talks to her like he is talking to a baby. It makes my heart soften everytime I see those two. Aside from this dogs gas problem (see humor post) she has been a blessing. If I would have ignored that dream, my husband and I would not have received that blessing.

I wish you well and I hope your heart stays open to all the good things coming your way.

·
Registered
579 Posts
errrrrrrrrr fruedian slip. That would be humane society not human society. I will be laughing at myself all day on this one.........lolol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Like Kathy said, God does speak to us through dreams and visions and it sounds like he's talking to you. If you are the praying type, I would definitely ask God to reveal the true meaning behind it. Although Jesus told you that you better stop drinking it may not mean drinking per say. Is there some other habit in your life that you know isn't good but you do anyways? Something that you know that you should stop doing, but you still do it anyways? A good example would be smoking, but I don't know if you smoke. Although in my honest opinion, if you had a such a vivid dream about Jesus, where you could even smell Him and he told you that you better stop drinking - I would listen.

To you, your drinking might just be social. And I believe you that it is, now. But God knows whats in store for our lives and maybe He's trying to warn you that what you are doing socially now will change someday to an unhealthy habit that will kill you and your family. And it may not mean kill in a literal sense. It might mean kill, as in there would be a wedge driven in your relationships that you couldn't get past anymore. Or maybe your children would stop talking to you.

If you follow the advice of your dream you will likely never know whether you would have formed an unhealthy habit or not, and that is definitely a good alternative to me.

This is all just my opinion.

Oh and if it makes you feel better - I have had dreams of Jesus too, more than once. One of the gifts that God has given me is the ability to have very meaningful dreams - the kind that change a persons life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. :)

Last night I gave away everything that I bought to make chocolate martinis (after my friend made them for me)... my husband told me that he's completely supportive of being a "dry" family. So much so that he gave away the very expensive port that was his birthday gift last year.... I was a little bummed by that. I wasn't the one who got it for him... but it was a $100 bottle of port and it was only 1/3 empty.

I have been praying for the meaning-- I just don't know. The only bad habit that I think I have is... internet and spending money on superfluous novelty things.

I don't smoke... surprisingly. My mom smoked since she was 15. She died because of uncontrolled blood pressure-- she had a stroke. She was 44. I know that the smoking didn't help bring down her BP at all. I feel that her drinking and smoking just helped it along. The only other one of "us kids" that doesn't smoke is my youngest brother.

I see a therapist once a month to help me learn techniques for dealing with stress. I'm going to talk to her about it too.

You guys have given me a lot of insight on this. There's a lot about it that I haven't even thought to consider. Now I have a lot to think about.

Thank you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts