Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the money rules don't apply

Sometimes you make a decision first and find the reasons later. Yes, we bought a home in haste, but no, we're not repenting. We're happy, and being debt-free will just have to wait.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What works for some doesn't work for all! The author and her hubby seem quite happy with their decision.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Thanks, Darlene...that's a great article!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be afraid to take that leap. It's one thing to get into that house and another to be able to maintain plus pay for ever changing and growing taxes.
We ourselves save in one area to splurge in another, guess this house was their splurge. Hope it works out for them.

Reminds me, I'm not thrilled at all about the people who are going to be helped (bailed out in a sense) that got themselves into more house than they can afford. You can't afford it, don't sign on the dotted line.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Well, there is definitely reason to be afraid. We bought this house by taking a leap, and while we definitely have space, the house itself has SO much that needs to be fixed still. Our mortgage is $2700 a month (the ARM just went up after 3 years) and we need to fix our leaky front window, our leaky, broken chimney, get new windows for the rest of the house, etc. The killer is that these are not cosmetic concerns...without these repairs, our energy bills will continue to be ridiculous.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. We have enough space for our family, which is wonderful. But, it's costing us in many, many ways.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Amy, that mortgage payment.:thud:
It's a constant battle to just stay afloat.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
well, I guess if that's what she and the hubs want; the best to them. I thought some logic was a bit off, for example her husband no longer is spending all that time at Lowe's and repairing things, but he did pick up an extra job so wouldn't the time even out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts