Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so like most people my mortgage is my largest debt. it is also the only thing i owe on. all of my bills are pretty much as low as i can get them. my mortgage is about 30% of my income, but due to increasing costs of just about everything economically im not able to save(pay myself as dave says). everything i pay is at bare minimum. no extras. what do you do when you cant get more in and cant make less go out?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i agree with FW. My first inclination was to say... you need to increase your income. some way. sell your stuff off. take a PT job. sell your too big house. bring in a boarder. there's always room to cut back. beleive it or not. I'll bet if you posted your budget here... we'd all see it in a different light.

And.. I'm really sorry that your in this predicament. It gets better. You just need to see the signs that doors are opening for you. Patience.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Get another job
Get a roommate
Sell stuff you don't need/use
If your crafty you can make and sell items (easy, ebay, etc...)
You can make a little bit with swag bucks (not much but every bit helps)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Get a part-time job, roommate, sell things you have around the house, find ways to save money (there is ALWAYS something else you can do to cut your electricity, etc.). Buy store brands instead of name brands, use more coupons, find a salvage store, compare prices between grocery stores to make sure you are getting the best prices. Do you have any skills that you could do something for others for money? Shop your insurance, raise your deductibles. There has to be something you can do to bring in more money or spend less money.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Is your mortgage 30% of your take home pay? That sounds do-able if you're careful. I think you need to cut back on your other expenses. You have debt, then you need to increase income (second job, sell stuff) to pay that off. If you have a car payment, get rid of it. In short, your mortgage isn't your problem. You other expenses are.

Go ahead and post your budget and maybe we can find areas where you can cut back.

My first areas are always:
~ Severely reduce non-food grocery purchases (TP, cleaning products, toiletries, etc)
~ If you get a tax refund, adjust your withholding so you get a much smaller one or even pay a little.
~ Re-price all your insurances. Actually sit down with your agent and tell them you have to reduce your premiums.
~ Cut out extras like cable TV, smart phone plan, and even consider dropping your internet (especially if you can access it at work).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you post your budget, I'm sure someone can help you see more ways to cut back. I know you feel that you have it down to "bare bones" but I thought that too and the people here showed me where to slash and cut even more.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Did we scare the OP away? what happened?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would also suggest posting your budget if you want to do that. Maybe some comments could help you in where to cut back?

And FN it could be people turn up on the village expecting for help and sometimes do not want to know the truth about what they have to do in order to get their finances straight.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
what do you do when you cant get more in and cant make less go out?
Simple answer: bring more in. There are various ways as others have suggested above.

Also - what you think may be bare bones in fact may not be. You haven't shared with us on how you break down your budget and/or grocery shop. Do you buy in bulk and portion things out? Do you shop at the discount grocery store vs the pretty fancy and overpriced grocery store? Do you buy 3 separate bottles of cleaners when you can buy only one product that would work for all cleaning needs? Its the lil things that can sneak up on you and end up being your biggest budget busters.

I know its always hard to hear negative criticism but we're here to help, not judge. Sometimes all it takes is another set of eyes to help you see things differently. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts