Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you try to repair yourself, get a repair man in or immediately run out and purchase a new one.

When my washer went (it was 10 years old and just too costly to fix), my mom purchased me a brand new one just over a year ago. A few months ago, it quit spinning and I was so upset. Dh looked at it, found the problem and fixed it for the meager cost of a tube of crazy glue. Its working perfectly.

When our older fridge wasn't working, he was able to fix it, albeit for a short length of time, but until we have enough $$ saved to pay cash for a new one. The same for our stove. The bottom element went. We called around, found a generic one for our stove that cost $27.00 and dh put it in the oven himself, thus saving us the cost of a repair bill and saving us major $$ of purchasing a new stove.

What options do you choose, fix yourself, a repair man or buy new immediately.

·
27,948 Posts
My Dh is so smart & can fix just about anything. Repair is the first line of defense. If it's electrical out comes his volt meter...

He does leave a lot of the car stuff to the pros though.(He does change oil, filters, plugs etc) Doesn't seem like there is much a regular guy can do to work on cars nowadays that doesn't take special equipment.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darlene, I agree. Dh admits he isn't a car person, and so we get our cars fixed at a regular garage. But the man can fix just about anything else. He always amazes me with what he can do.

Nice to hear your dh can fix so much as well. They do save us lots of $$, don't they.

·
27,948 Posts
homesteadmamma said:
Darlene, I agree. Dh admits he isn't a car person, and so we get our cars fixed at a regular garage. But the man can fix just about anything else. He always amazes me with what he can do.

Nice to hear your dh can fix so much as well. They do save us lots of $$, don't they.
CJ, They sure do save us lots! I told Dd not only to Marry a good loving man but one that can fix things too.;)

It's amazing what people throw away and all it needs to work is to be vaccumed out,have a screw tightened, line unplugged or a new cord. :clap: for our Dh's

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
DH is a handy guy too. He can fix just about anything. We always repair until it can be repaired no more. I hate buying new until it is a last resort.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
DH will usually take the appliance apart and see if he can tell what is wrong with it or call the 800 number for the manufacturer or the appliance repair shop. Most of the time he is able to fix the problem, but there are those appliances (like freezers and refrigerators, and ones so old you can't get parts for anymore) that we just replace.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I prefer to fix it, but if it is too costly to fix, I go and get a new one. My washer just went out a few weeks ago so I had my dh check it out. Turns out the motor that allows the tub to spin seized. It would have cost close to the cost of a new one to fix it so I went and got a new one. I was not that attached to the old one so it was nice to get a new one.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes, my Husband can usually fix most anything; even cars sometime. Cars are his least favorite though. He is a "Jack of All Trades" :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts