Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:call: I love my cell phone and use it a lot. However, rude people on cell phones are really bugging me lately!

Places I would outlaw cell phones: :soapbox:
--in restaurants (I once was in a fast-food chicken place and the guy in front of me read the ENTIRE menu to the person on the phone. He was oblivious to the rest of us waiting in line.)
--standing in check-out lines, especially WHILE paying & ignoring the cashier (I've seen this several times lately!)
--in waiting rooms, which forces everyone else to listen to your conversation
--in movie theaters (thought DH was going to hurt a guy who talked through half a movie once)
--driving in heavy traffic, or in any traffic if it distracts you

Maybe I'm just cranky, but you'd think most of those would be common sense! Of course, an emergency conversation is a totally different matter- I could understand that.

I've used mine in the grocery store, when DH calls to add something to the list... but it's a quick conversation. In most places I try to go into a hallway or my car if I can.

The funniest use of a cell phone I've been subjected to lately was in the restroom of a department store. I went in, was minding my own business, and was treated to half of a very loud conversation. I wonder if that lady was really sitting on the commode, or just using the stall for privacy (and if so she shouldn't have talked so loud!) ?! :toilet: :laugh:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
A few places I would outlaw them, besides the ones you posted are:

- at funerals
- at weddings
- at school functions

We have a cell phone, but once the contract is up in Oct. its gone. We seldom use it and its just an added expense.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I can't believe that people would even have one on at a funeral, but they do. The last funeral I went to besides the one today, someone's rang. I couldn't believe it. The church was all quiet and the phone was ringing.

I guess the other place I could think of would be:

*In class (college or any learning type environment, workshops, etc.)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't think they should be allowed anywhere!

It's noise pollution and it really bugs me.

Having said that I DO have one! :eek: :laugh:

But I was thinking the other day it's 'unusual' now to see somebody that doesn't have one - even children and although they do have their uses like if you break down, have any kind of emergency, keeping tabs on your kids (or just keeping them 'safe') they are getting very annoying.

And now they have internet, videos, cameras and the such like what happened to just 'phoning' someone?

:soapbox: LOL ~ Ok I can 'hear' myself!!! LOL - Like I said I HAVE got a mobile but they are very annoying! AND (lol) you can't get any peace anywhere you go anymore :(

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Lol, Amy I had a similar experience in a restroom too :toothy:

I also think that church is not an appropriate place for a cellphone, at least have the courtesy to turn it off until you get out of church.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
In church, definately.

The other day, I saw a mom, outside of her home, talking on the cell phone and getting mad at her 2 year old dd, who wanted to show her some flowers on the neighbour's lawn...she yelled at her to come back...I find this is sad to see precious moments being wasted, instead of spending the time with her dd. This was last week-end...oh well...maybe it was an emergency, but I think so...

I don't have a cell phone and I am very annoyed at the phone service who insists on making me buy one and talks to me as if I am not normal because I do not want one. As those who have the right to have one...I have the right to not have one?...

I do think that for saftey all cars should have some cell phone or type of communication radio, just in case.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
DH drives me nuts with his cell phone, he uses it for work and on top of being a cell phone, it is also a walkie talkie. So, some nights as we are just drifting off to sleep, from the phone charger comes " Hey, do you got a "copy"?" Or, "hey Erick do we have the oak #2 for the house on elm street ready for delivery tomorrow?" Drives me nuts, happens during dinner, movies, driving, and so on and on.

Oh and it drives me nuts that when he decides not to answer his phone...like when his mom is bugging him. It will ring and ring when a message is left...and he won't turn it off!!! If she gets no results calling the cell phone in 60 seconds, she will ring the ringer off the regular house phone.... ok, i went a bit off topic there, sorry. I have vented, I feel better now...:eek:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
All of the above, and I would also outlaw use while driving.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I agree with all of you.

My sister is one of the worst. The only time I talk to her is when she is on one of her cells (she has 2 that I know of). She is driving in heavy traffic, getting gas or I have even gone grocery shopping with her, got her nails done with her etc.....

She is one of those people who gets easily distracted :dis: and it drives me crazy! :mad:

Did I mention she lives 3.000 miles away?

Now I have another sister whom I call seldomly and just for a quick question she will scream at her kids for the entire conversation! Very rude! :fuming: Hence why I don't call her very often.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of telephones period? :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Add my votes to "while driving" and at church. Also, in restaurants. It really makes me uncomfortable when people are talking on their phones while I'm trying to have a conversation with DH. I was taught that it is rude to talk when someone is on the phone, hence, I shut down when the cell phones ring!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
AmyMCGS said:
:call: --driving in heavy traffic, or in any traffic if it distracts you

Not while driving at all !!!!!!!! Ever !!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
27,948 Posts
I'm Darlene and I don't have a cell phone.
It drives me nuts that everywhere I look everyone seems to be talking on the thing. What ever did we do years ago when we weren't instantly available or in a crisis of some sort?

I think if you have one it should be for an emergency. Just my
2¢.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Darlene said:
I'm Darlene and I don't have a cell phone.
It drives me nuts that everywhere I look everyone seems to be talking on the thing. What ever did we do years ago when we weren't instantly available or in a crisis of some sort?

I think if you have one it should be for an emergency. Just my
2¢.
I completely agree. We only use ours for emergencies...never just for chit chat.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree with all of the above, but have one to add.

A few years ago when DD2 was playing softball, I noticed most of the parents talking on their phones, chit chat and/or conducting business. HELLO!!!??? You can't stay off the phone for an hour to watch your child play ball? This really disturbed me.

I have a phone, and use it sometimes in the above places if my older DD's are watching the baby and DH and I are out. They may call to ask a question, or to check in. I keep the conversation short, but I need to be able to stay in touch with them if they are all home alone.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't have one, and probably will never have one....The only reason I would have one would be for an emergency only....my husband has one issued to him for his job, and it is a big pain in the rear:mad:....people who talk while driving are very dangerous, and they need to stop

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
When the mothers were seated at ds's wedding on the 7th, in the back of the church I heard someone's cell phone ring! I wanted to turn around and give that person a dirty look but I didn't. I can't believe that anyone could be so rude!:mad:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG!!! While reading these replies, I am watching "Days of Our Lives". One of the guys is IN BED, half naked, with his girlfriend, AND TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE! :surprise: :laugh: :laugh: She's just patiently waiting on him to finish his conversation.... LOL.... I think I'd be leaving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I teach in adult education and the mobile phone thing is getting worse! Young adult students don't seem to consider it bad manners to answer their phone while I'm actually teaching. I now insist that all students turn their phones off before I start the class. On a recent course I was stunned when all but one of the students reached into their bags for their phones!

Dh and I own one between us which is strictly for emergency situations only eg whe travelling on the motorway. I can't envisage ever wanting one for everyday use.

BelindaUK

·
362 Posts
At work....if your not in a job that requires you to have/use one.

Especially while driving, I watched this girl this past weekend almost cross a ditch and almost go into oncoming traffice because she used her hands to talk while on the phone. If your going to be on your phone and drive at least have a hands free system set up and mabye voice recognition for calling out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts