Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used coupons before here and there but would like to start saving more money with them. I have no clue on where to start.:smhelp:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The trick is to match the coupon to a sale item to save as much as possible. So you need to start by watching your sale flyers.

Collect coupons for items you buy and eat. It makes no sense to spend money on food that won't get eaten, whether or not you have a coupon. Try to avoid buying junk food just because you have the coupon. Be aware that the coupon may not even bring the brand name down to the same price as the store brand. In those cases, a coupon is not really saving you much.

Collect coupons from newspapers, magazines, packaging, and manufacturers websites. Create a dummy e-mail account and sign up for newsletters from companies whose products you use. Like their Facebook page.

Couponing isn't what it once was. The good ones seem to be scarcer and scarcer. A lot of places have started limiting the number you can use at once. And it's not Extreme Couponing.

Reactions: lisaflex

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Make sure you know exactly what your store(s) coupon policy is before you try to shop and use coupons. I know in my area they are getting very strict about coupons and it is getting to the point where it isn't worth the hassle or headache I get trying to use them.

I agree, try to stick with coupons that match up with sales and are for items that your family will eat and use. I will only use a coupon for a product I don't normally buy if I can get it for free.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Print out the stores coupon and ad-match policies, keep those with you. You'd be amazed how many cashiers/managers need to be reminded of these things.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Watch that you don't get hooked into the idea of buying something "just because you have a coupon"..........like someone else said......

Buy ON SALE and with a coupon.........

Other than some personal products, it is really hard to find items that aren't for pre-packed food..........or just pure junk food........

Having said the above.........now is the time of year where baking supply coupons will come out..........but CHECK THE OTHER BRANDS........I usually don't use too many as the 'other brand' is still cheaper.............even with my coupon.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Couponing is nothing like it used to be. Some stores have inflated prices and so when you use a coupon or can double one you are really not saving!
Store brands can be cheaper.
I used to be an extreme coupon shopper. Then the show came out! The END!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Make sure you know exactly what your store(s) coupon policy is before you try to shop and use coupons. I know in my area they are getting very strict about coupons and it is getting to the point where it isn't worth the hassle or headache I get trying to use them.

I agree, try to stick with coupons that match up with sales and are for items that your family will eat and use. I will only use a coupon for a product I don't normally buy if I can get it for free.
Agreed. My stores don't even take internet coupons.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
alot of stores dont take internet coupons around here.

alot of coupons are not good - ie junk food or prepackaged sodium ladden food...we dont eat any of that.

i do look for detergent and cleaning supply coupons often, then, i head to BJs to buy in bulk if they have coupons in their flyer also.

sales are your friend! sale price and coupon is usually (not always) a good buy

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Couponing is nothing like it used to be. Some stores have inflated prices and so when you use a coupon or can double one you are really not saving!
Store brands can be cheaper.
I used to be an extreme coupon shopper. Then the show came out! The END!
I found this to be true as well as the poster who said it's getting to the point of being too much of a headache and a hassel to make it worth it. Along with the other good advice you've been given such as matching coupons with ale prices and flyers ect. I would say that if you want to start in a "section" where you might still see some bang for your coupon I've found that the HBA coupons, especially at the drug stores seem to do me the most good.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I know this is off topic..but may I suggest you go to your local library and get the book Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn? You will find alot of money saving ideas from her if you need to save more money that the coupons will not be able to save you. I use to be known to save lots of $$$$ using coupon's and matching up with sale items..but now most of the coupons are not worth what they use to be. I find myself making anything I can from scratch to save my family money..I have a membership to SamsClub and buy most of my ingrediants from there..I feel that since all the store coupon policie changes that seem to be against the consumer..coupon face values are crap now this is why I had to change and just do what I can do to save money..I hope this helps you in some way.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Couponing isn't what it once was. The good ones seem to be scarcer and scarcer. A lot of places have started limiting the number you can use at once. And it's not Extreme Couponing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts