Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering where you keep track of your goals and how often you update them. I know some people use their siggys. I put mine in a post on my blog and I've been trying to update it every night when I post my daily entry. Right now this isn't working so well for me - so - how do you keep track of your goals?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Sara, I use a spiral notebook. I like to write out my goals and be able to update and re-read back entries. Nothing hi tech or special but easy to do and feels good to look back upon.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have a really cute journal that reads "Reach For The Stars, across the front in glitter!! It was only $2 at Walgreens!! I update it every month. I use a composition book to track my daily expenses. I balance this out every week so I can make sure I am on track with my budget. I use the composition book because the pages never get torn out.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I don't really write my goals down. I think I need to start. I do have a notebook that I purchased at Target that hols all of my to-do's, wants, needs, debt trackers, and our Christmas budget.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have mine written down in a little spiral notebook. I also usually update my siggy once a month. After I make a payment and/or deposit funds.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I wasn't sure if you knew on the blogs that in your settings you can use "Content Default for New Entries" and it will automatically fill in information on any entries you make. Would make your updates quicker and easier because all you'd have to type is any changes and not entire goals over and over.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I use my siggy as a reminder of debt LOL but sticky notes stuck to my desk help do the trick. I do have a notebook but Im forever losing it in the pile of clutter at the comp :( One of my goals is to clear that up! :laugh:

No one is ever in my area or near the comp so I can stick up as many notes as I need to w/o worrying about privacy. I do carry a tiny small spiral bound notebook in my purse for easy access when needing to jot down things to buy, phone #'s etc I think of while at work. I keep track of my last few week's pay in it and how I budgeted it along with the future short term goals Im aiming for.

For the past 2 years, this has helped.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I use my siggy here for our debt reduction goals, and I also have an index card with my goals for 2006 taped to my computer monitor (of which I've completed none :rolleyes:). I also use 43things.com sometimes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a journal that I use. I journal daily so this works for me. Anything you choose will be fine and I find writting them down helps me reach my goals..

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i use my siggy for my money goals, which i just updated, i forgot and realized it was backa month. the evry day golas i have now in ajournal every nite i write in. from what i need to do , to making one person happy with asmile or do something nice goal of the day.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I use a journal that I try to write in at least every few days.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I use a modified office-in-a-bag idea from Flylady. I have one of those zippered 3 ring binders with pockets galore in it. I use it as a mobile stationary/finance/goals/household planner. In it I keep:

~ paper clips
~ notepad
~ pen and pencil
~ calculator
~ business cards
~ stamps, address labels, stationary and envelopes
~ drug information sheets
~ coupons
~ chequebooks
~ an 8 1/2 x 11" envelope to hold old receipts from the current year (hole punched to fit in the binder),
~ a 5 x 7" envelope (hole punched to fit in binder) for cheques and money that need to be deposited,
~ a major detailed listing of my goals for the year,
~ a list of long term goals for retirement (7 years away),
~ a savings graph, so I can see how we're doing at a glance,
~ section for each month of the year started with a monthly calendar with appointments on it,
~ followed by a list of all important dates (birthdays, anniversaries) for the month,
~ followed by my goals for the month,
~ followed by my menus,
~ followed by my daily goals lists (sometimes weekly, but not always)
~ followed by the results of my fridge/pantry/freezer inventory (which I use to make my menus).
~ after the monthly sections, I have an address section with important addresses (doctor, etc.), business cards for businesses we use, phone lists for organizations we're involved in.
~ Then I have a finance section with a printout of our budget,
~ followed by pocket pages for receipts for each budget category. When dh wants to update Quicken, he just has to go to the right pocket for receipts.
~ followed by Flylady's Control Journal for housekeeping ("Tips for not getting sidetracked", "How to Declutter", "5 Minute Fly-bys", "Crisis Cleaning", "Vacation Planning and Packing List", zone cleaning). My daily routine is posted on the fridge. I also have a checklist for a basic emergency first aid kit.
~ followed by Flylady's Holiday Cruise Journal,
~ followed by a house renovation section, where I have plans for whatever room I'm working on at the time,
~ followed by samples of all the fabric in my fabric stash (including size of all pieces),
~ followed by list of food pantry goals for the year,
~ followed by mega-cooking recipes,
~ followed by graph paper (for drawing things to scale when I go places - like furniture stores).

The idea is that this is the one place to go for household stuff. No different binders. I'm into keeping it simple and compact as possible.

We've contemplated putting a listing of all our pertinent financial numbers and data in it, but just aren't sure. Will see.

Jean

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I keep anything important in my pda.
As for goals, I don't really have anything "written" but have some in my head that I should probably either write down or put in my pda so I actually have it in "writing" and can work towards them.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow peanut, I am impressed! I've been a Flybaby for a few years now, and I still haven't gotten a Control Journal together, nevermind one with as much stuff as yours. This is the second year I've actually made and used the Holiday Control Journal, but I can't seem to get myself to use a "real" Control Journal.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have a control journal also, not as great as peanuts, but it has my budget and everything I need to pay bills, a envelope(holepunched) for bills to go into, my list of gift ideas and gifts bought for every holiday, menus and ingredients needed for every holiday, address book and phone numbers, list of all books and dvds, all family bdays and anniversaries, master shopping list and medical forms. Bills paid and warranties go in the file cabinet.

-weight loss goals are listed on the *********** site
-financial goals are in my siggy and on my fridge
-other goals are in a coil notebook in my private basket(no ones allowed to look or touch tha basket

1 - 15 of 15 Posts