Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $1000 extra in my checking that I pretend isn't there for easy accessibility in case of Murphy. All the rest gets sent to my HSBC account which right now is earning 6% (will drop to 5.05% when promo expires at the end of April). It takes 4 days for money to transfer so thats why I keep a BEF in my checking. I also keep an extra $50-$100 in my checking for what I call my 'slush fund' - thats to cover those little unexpected expenses that pop up during the month like gifts, gas, Rx's, etc. that aren't covered by the budget. When I reach my EF goal amount, that $1000 in the checking will be my FF. Then it will be time to start my new car fund.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I don't really have all these separate funds, just savings over all.

Right now I still have $3,000 in a 6-month CD at 5.51%

$1,500 I had in savings at the time is currently in my checking account because it gets a 6% interest rate for 3 months (yeah, my checking account pays interest)

Finally, I just moved $400 to the $163 already in the 5% money market account, which is where all the money will return after promo rate ends/CD matures.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I keep mine in igobanking, regular savings rate 5.3% APY . Just started a separate account there in January '07 apart from accounts at ingdirect and emigrantdirect. ingdirect is the easiest to navigate for me even if they have lower rates, although still competitive.

if anyone is interested to get a $25 sign-up bonus at ing, just let me know so I can hook you up.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I have two accounts. I have what I call my Rainy Day Fund at HSBC Direct; I use this for just ordinary unexpected expenses or to save for future things I know will come up. Is that like an FF fund? I don't know the term.

My Emergency Fund is really my Catastrophe Fund. It is the one I consider untouchable until the roof caves in. It's at Emigrant Direct.

I keep about an extra hundred in checking, but no more. I figure that there is very little that could not go on the credit card for a few days until I could get the money transferred out of the online savings. In fact, it would presumably be a substantial expense if that were necessary, and I would probably put it on the card anyway to get the cash back rewards, adding the transferred money to the payment when it falls due. I pay this card off monthly.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I keep mine in ING. If I need it, it can easily be transferred in just a couple of days, by telephone or online. I think the current rate is about 4.9% (not completely sure.... I try to ignore it because in my mind 'it doesn't exsist :loop: unless there is an emergency).

I've found that ING is a very good bank to deal with. I hope they don't change, like most banks do...:ugh:

Marianne

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I keep $500 in a local savings account so it will be available immediately if I need it. The rest I keep in Ing.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We have our $1000 EF in an ING acct (soon to be $1500 when our state tax refund gets here next week).

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I keep $1000 in a local bank savings acct for easy access. The rest (posted in my signature) is in an ING account.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I keep an small emergency fund in a savings account at the bank I work at. I also have a money market at the bank I work at and I have a personal savings account at the same bank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just keep ours in an ING savings account. I like knowing I can get the money out anytime I need to.

G

·
I keep a small buffer in my personal checking account, and have a sizable savings account at ING. For our joint finances, we try and keep a $500 buffer in checking, and the balance at ING. We just keep a "savings" account, and don't try and get too detailed about what's the EF, what's the FF, what's for the down payment on a house, etc. It's just all there in one account.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I get so jealous when I see people have money in differnet accounts that are erning interest. I just have two checking accounts and two saveings accounts. The one checking is the house account and all dh's pay is put in it and the saveings that goes with it has 1,800 in it wich isnt good becuase we need 2,600 in two months to pay our escrow shortage. And the other is a small account that I use to put my mad money and gas/grocery money in, the saveings thats with it is just got a few bucks in it incase I over draw or something. We have 1,200. in an ira and 600 in a mutal fund. Thats it. We are so tight every month I cant mangage to save a dime.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Our EF is in ING. I like having it there because the interest rate is great, and it's not so accessible that I can get it out right away, but it's still "liquid" enough to get out in a few days.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our EF is in ING. I like having it there because the interest rate is great, and it's not so accessible that I can get it out right away, but it's still "liquid" enough to get out in a few days.
:yeah: me too.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
To AnnK -- it will come in time. We've probably all been there in those really tight money situations, and if some of us are breathing a little easier, I imagine we are all aware that they could return at any moment. You have a start -- that's the important thing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I keep a "cushion" of close to 700.00 in our house account.
I have close to 100.00 in my paypal account.
We have the bulk in GMAC MMA
I also keep around 100.00 in each of our personal bank accounts
I also have 1K in a 3 year MMC in a Penfed account: untouchable, and I wish I would have added more than 1K @ 6.25%:ache:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have very good experience with ING too and they have customer service 24/7 and the site is very secure so I don't worry about my account being hacked.

However, it takes 3 BUSINESS DAYS for complete transfer of $$ from ING to your local bank so keep that in mind and keep a certain amount for extreme emergencies handy, either at home or at your local bank that you can have quick access. 3 days is a long time, IMO, if you need $$ asap.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I really need to research this stuff ....not even sure what an ING is. I just have my EF in a savings account till I hit a certain amount then I'll ladder some CDs with the rest of it. .....What's an FF???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts