Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Private parks? State Parks? National forests? National Parks?

We are new to camping(well, my husband is-I have camped since I was a little girl) and we prefer state parks. We are from Michigan and enjoy going up north to Traverse City, Mackinac, Ludington, etc.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My first husband was a disabled vet and we used to get a discount but now I can't seem to remember how it went. Well it must have been federal because he also got in free to some presidential sites. All veterans can get this. hmmmmmmmm does anyone know??

We loved em all!!!!! I used to love to camp but really haven't gone since he passed away. My present husband loves to find a nice resort........lol. He hates to camp.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Chinaman's Hat. It's a beach park in Hawaii almost directly across from Kualoa Ranch (where a lot of movies are filmed, like Jurassic Park). During my high school like I probably camped there with friends/family twice a month.

When the tide gets low enough you can actually walk to the Chinaman's Hat island. There's not much there but it's very tranquil.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My fave place to camp is anywhere in England's Lake District. I prefer further north because it's less touristy and crowded. I can't wait to return stateside and do some real wild camping!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ok the Corp of Engineers would have parks and we would get that discount. It is federal and the camping was always very nice. That has to be federal and we would get a nice discount because he was a veteran.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Papoose Pond in North Waterford Maine. We try to go at least once a summer. Very family friendly.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Algonquin Provincial Park - Ontario, Canada

Hehehe....come on over to Ontario, Canada.

We have beautiful provincial parks here. Algonquin is pretty well known and has both serious wilderness campsites as well as the "pretty" campsites with "comfort stations" (heated bldg with washrooms/private showers and outlet for you to plug the hairdyer in etc lol). Sadly Ive only been willing to do the pretty camping so far......one day, Ill risk it and opt for the wilderness one!

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We actually have never went camping but if we do I would probably want to go to the local forest, no where too far and with a travel trailer, no tents for me. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada. We have a lot of nice provincial parks. I go to Earl Rowe in Alliston Ontario because it's only about 40 minutes from home. It has a beach, swimming pool, river for fishing, showers etc. There are a few sites right on the river and you can go to sleep listening to the water rushing by. They also have a program for kids there where they have all sorts of nature activities. It is great for a weekend getaway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Need to mention another option: Your church camp.

Our local church camp has weekly school aged campers all summer long.

In addition, there are lodges for rent,
motel-like rooms for rent,
and camping areas for tent camping, campers, and RV camping.

Beautiful lake, canoeing, fishing, swimming, great hiking are all available.

We first camped there with our Cub Scout family camping weekend. It was great fun and there were real showers and real toilets. What more could a Mom wish for?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
When the girls were little we used to go to private campgrounds. They cost more to camp in but there were more activities and a pool.

As they grew older we camped in State campgrounds for weekends but for week long trips we rented travel trailers in private campgrounds. A week in a tent with no private toilet or shower? We tried it and didn't like it. A long weekend in a tent or pop up is plenty for us.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We enjoy national and state parks. Also KOA campgrounds. DH likes to have a bath with running water and most of these do. We've had lots of good experinces with KOA's. We camped both in our own tent and in their cabins.
When your in Ludington hit the ice cream shop on the main drive downtown. We had a pig feast and each got a button for eating it. Dh, myself and both the kids. That was 5 years ago and we still laugh about it. One of those family bonding moments. Or as my kids like to call them forced family fun. We also visited the lighthouse and had a great time on the shore. We ate our way up the coast, cherries, blueberries and apples.

Laurie in Bradneton

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i have been most and most enjoyably in maine's state parks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We've spent a lot of time in the Massachusetts State Parks. Our favorite is Tollend State Forest, which is a couple of miles from our house. Before we moved here it took most of two hours to get there.

We always get a waterfront tent site, and it's only $12 a day.

A few years ago I wrote a review of TSF, which you can read here:
http://gonewengland.about.com/library/users/uctollandstforest.htm

This summer I worked as the nature interpreter there. I'm just finishing up now, before heading back to school.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
We have a pop up camper and like going to the Texas state parks. Our favorite by far, though, is Davis Mountains SP which is in west Texas. It's about 6 hours away from us so it definitely requires a long weekend, but it's so worth it. It's beautiful, rugged and quiet and the University of Texas McDonald Observatory is just a few miles away and they have the coolest "star parties". We love it there.

--Michelle

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We actually have never went camping but if we do I would probably want to go to the local forest, no where too far and with a travel trailer, no tents for me. :)
Oh, you gotta try camping at least once in your lifetime. Buy or borrow a tent and spend a weekend in nature. There's nothing like a campfire at night and looking up and watching the stars.

We usually like to camp near a lake so we can swim. I've never done the real roughing it (no water or electricity) but BF and his family has. We're going to go to campground where BF's parents camp since it will be our last family camping outing before we and his parents move out of state in November. I can't wait -- 3 whole days away from the city, traffic, neighbors and phones. We do have TV but I spend very little time watching when I out camping. We listen to radio and CDs mostly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Used to do the tent camping but can't do that anymore so we have an RV. Still get to cook out, hang out around the campfire but have my own bed and shower! We are going to Big South Fork National Park on the TN/KY border for the Labor Day weekend. Anyone ever been there?? :usa:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts