Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have been saving up my amazon gift certificates for a while and I'd really like to purchase something that will help me with my stocking up/savings goals in the kitchen.

I'm trying to decide between a food dehydrator, a foodsaver or a canning system. Any suggestions as to which one will end up saving me the most money in the long run?? This is going to be the summer I hope to grow more veggies and start thinking ahead for winter. Or is there something else that would be better?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have been wanting a canning system.. Actually I looked at in the amazon.com.. Big lots had stacks of cans and stuff.. check there too..
I also love my seal a meal.. It has really been handy, to use and save on food.. even down to a bag of half eaten chips. I just cut down the bag a bit and squeeze a bit of air out and re-seal...
mmmmm sorry I guess I didn't make your decision any easier...sorry..

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have all 3 as well. I must say that I hated my foodsaver and gave it to my parents. I use my canner all the time and the dehydrator sometimes. So for me, I'd get the canner.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Foodsaver. It's the most usable on a regular basis and can save a lot of money in unspoiled food. If spoiled food isn't an issue for you, I'd go with the canning system.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd go for the canner.

I have a foodsaver...it costs more than getting ziploc bags (at least where I live)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I say the foodsaver, and the bags can be reused as long as you clean them after each use.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Also don't forget that with the Foodsaver you can buy the "attachment" so that you can use it to seal items in mason jars, along with freezing items.

I have a foodsaver and we use it alot.
Next year will be our first year putting out a garden and I will be using my time between now and then to find a good canner.

As to which one to start with?
I think it would come down to your preference.
Which does your family prefer, canned or frozen foods?
As for veggies, we all prefer frozen but some things are just better canned (tomatoes for example).

So maybe that will help you a little, with deciding which one to start with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies! I was really leaning toward the Foodsaver but ordered the water canner set this morning, partially because it was cheaper and partially on impulse because I found a cool website that got me excited about canning. I don't think I'm ready for a pressure canner yet but maybe next year. Honestly, I think I just like the jars! I still would like to get the Foodsaver too...I might have more gc's saved up by Christmas to buy myself one.

Here's the website if anyone is interested: http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php

So - be prepared for some dumb canning questions coming up later this summer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts