Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out which is the best deal for our family. I'm wondering if anyone has worked it out for their family?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
We only buy organic and price wise a whole chicken is a much better deal ($1.49/lb. on sale compared to $4.99 or higher per pound on sale for chicken breasts).

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can get whole chickens on sale for .59 a pound, maybe 4 times a year. I don't even buy chicken parts cut up, unless I specifically want breasts, or leg quarters. If I want a cut-up fryer, I CUT UP the whole fryer, lol. I guess many people don't know how, or are afraid of a dead bird or something, But cutting up your own darned bird is a GREAT way to save money.

Reactions: Voche68

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My non-organic days are not so long ago. I could get a whole chicken for 49c or 59c per pound on sale. Whereas parts were rarely less than $2 per pound (and on up to $4 - even for NON-organic). Crazy!

I would think that a whole chicken is almost always the better deal (comparing sale price to sale price). You can pick soup meat off of the back. My mom eats the meat from the neck. The giblets can go in some dishes. And, of course, the bones make stock.

Reactions: Voche68

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I buy the breasts more then any thing as that is what we eat the most.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
For us the whole chicken is probably the better deal (often 49c. a pound) but we also buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they're 99c. a pound for convenience.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I like whole chickens. I think they are the better buy. And I use different parts for different dishes. We can also roast it whole which is what my oldest loves.

I do have to confess though I do buy chicken breasts an awful lot with my two girls always worried about fat and calories.

Here is something interesting. I once heard Julia Child say, the fat difference between white and dark defatted chicken meat, that has been skinned, is not enough to make a dietary difference. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It depends. For us whole chicken is ALWAYS a better deal... 'cause, well, we live on a commercial broiler farm :D. However, I have to do larger amounts and when I run out between crops, I'm stuck.

So then I head off to ye local poultry factory outlet. I can get a 4kg box of IQF cuts (sometimes legs, sometimes breasts... it varies) for $7.50/box. That works out to $1.88/kg or approx $0.85/lb.

Cindy :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No one in my family really cares for the dark meat, so I usually buy boneless,skinless chicken breasts when they go on sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For us it really depends on the sale and the amount of space I have. I've been buying either split breasts or BLSL thoghs or breasts. I currently only have a very small amount of freezer space ( an above the fridge freezer on an apartment size fridge) so While I'd prefer to get whole chickens, I have no space, especially since I love to make my own stock. When we move we'll be purchasing a freezer ( I think we've decided on an upright) so then I'll begin to stock up on whole birds. If they're on sale I can get then between .39 and .59 /lb.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I stock up on chicken breasts when they are on sale as that is my favorite piece of meat. I will also buy whole chickens and cut them up. DH will eat the thighs and wings. The legs sometimes are a waste for us

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Around here buying the whole chicken is much cheaper than buying it in specific parts! You can get the legs rather cheap. I always buy the whole chicken though!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I only buy chicken breasts, because that's really all I know how/care to make. I do think, however, that the whole chicken would be a better deal for us.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I buy the whole chicken if it is on sale. Other wise I buy the bag of chicken (leg quarters) at walmart for $4.99 a bag and then cut them apart it gets me around 28 pieces and thats cheaper than buying them cut up. I also buy the skinless boneless or skin with bone breast when on sale it is never cheaper than $1.40 lb when on sale.
My son likes chicken salad, so when the breasts are on sale I buy, boil and shred, then freeze in small bags so all my son has to do is defrost and then mix with the ingredients he wants or I do it.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We eat both dark and light meat, so the whole chicken is USUALLY the better buy. However, once in awhile, there wil be legs/thighs for .58/lb. Then I buy many packages and split them into smaller packs. Yummmm...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really depends on what im making , if soup or rotisserie i buy the whole chicken which is usually the cheapest because your not paying for the butchers labor to separate pieces, I usually find whole chickens for as low as .49 to .69 a pound, but if im frying chicken i like breasts and drumsticks, I buy bone in breasts people don't realize the bone adds so much flavor and if you were to debonair your chicken breast meat has very little weight from the ribs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts