Frugal Village Forums banner

Which is cheaper - using your furnace or burning firewood?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  kimmy4433 
I have a woodstove, and I have access to most of my wood for free (well, it doesn't cost me any money, but I have to cut it and haul it). My little woodstove can heat up the whole house (three stories), so when I have it cranked up, I don't have any electric heat on in the house. Obviously, for me, burning wood is the much cheaper (basically, free) option.

For you, I think it would depend very much on how efficient your fireplace is. Some of them are more for show than productivity.

Then you will need a good saw,and a good backup saw. A way to sharpen the cutting chain. Maybe a back up blade. Gas for the saw, and oil for the blade. A good truck to haul on, and or a trailer. Gas for the truck.
I would suggest a couple of back up blades, because they get dull quickly, if you are cutting all day, and no one wants to stop what they are doing to sharpen a chainsaw blade. Also, safety equipment (goggles, ear protection, chaps, GOOD leather gloves, and safety boots), and a splitting maul.

And good health insurance if you are accident-prone. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.