Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is only my dd and myself at home. However, she is a teen and they do generate laundry. So my question is, in our case where there is no heavily soiled items or little kids, do you think getting a lower priced laundry detergent is more cost effective or would it be better to use one of the recipes and make my own. I live in an area with hard water and use a little borax or vinegar to soften up the water for light colored items.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The homemade versions are definately cheaper. I use the Duggar's recipe. You can google it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have to agree, homemade would seem to better cheaper to me also, not to mention probably better for the environment.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I tend to purchase the detergents when they are really on sale for cheap with coupon. I am not brand loyal and fortunately do not have to worry about dirty clothes. Also have a large bucket of oxi-clean that I have had for about two years now. Comes in handy to soak something dirty.

Think it also depends on how much time you have. Personally I like the liquid detergents since I wash most of my things in cold water. I usually find that powder detergents do not dissolve as well in the washer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I made the Duggar recipe, featured on their website, and also a post here, made it a couple of days ago and I love it. and definitely cheaper, for me it works out to just under 1 cent per load.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Charlie's Soap - the powder dissolves in cold water and it does a great job. Check them out on line. Price per load is low. I was finally able to add it to my budget and bought three jars (240 loads) in early January.

I was not happy with the homemade laundry soap. It left a greasy ring in my washing machine and my clothes became dingy looking.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I use a cheap brand of liquid and don't use near the amount it call for and use white vinegar for fabric softner and my clothes are always clean and smell good.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i personally wouldnt make it...you can find good sales and use coupons. i use cheer free, tide free, all free, arm & hammer free and use about 1/2 that is called for and always add borax and vinegar and have great luck w/ it...

for towels and sheets, i use dynamo free along w/ borax or arm&hammer wshng soda and vinegar.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When I do use bought stuff I never put in whats called for either, always a lot less.

Just curious tho lisaflex if you are already using the borax and vinegar with your regular laundry detergent, why not try the homemade stuff?

·
Registered
687 Posts
oh ok, reasonable enough :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
at our local grocery, they had Dynamo (not my fave...but, still) 2 for $4.....

a few mts back, i got Arm & Hammer Free....i think it was 2 for $6...there are deals out there, just have to look

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I know....I know.... I am a health nut but this is why I make my own, or would buy Charlies. I hesitated to answer but well here... goes don't flame me please I am sensitive..lol

www.ecos.com/press/Healthy Living articles /14-3_06-08_EFP.pdf

www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/PG-press-release-03-10.pdf

I use only Dr. Bronners or my own homemade soap to make mine recipe . I make a dry recipe , adding sea salt or Real salt one cup to my recipe for hard water and mine always smells incredible and clean or cleaner then the commercial. You can use unscented soap and there is a tide essential oil to smell like commercial if you so desire. I make lavender, peppermint , orange, lilac and mint etc. I wouldn't recommend making your recipe with soap that is petroleum based as it might clogg your washer and not good for your skin. My family loves it.

I use to stock the commercial by the barrel or cartload as well.

Making my own saves me time, money, the gagging smells down the aisles...lol and my health. To me priceless.

I wrote an article on this and it be also featured on my blog.

Reactions: paelthom

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've been making my own for a couple of years and I love it. My clothes are so much softer since I've been using the homemade.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've been making my own for a couple of years and I love it. My clothes are so much softer since I've been using the homemade.

Yes mine are very soft as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.