Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have RA and my hands just can't slice and cut the way they used to. Bought a mandolin slicer at WalMart - took that back it was junk.

Need to be in the moderate price range.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the Pampered Chef mandolin on my christmas list, I've heard it is really nice and all of their products are guaranteed. I have a few of their other products that I love too. It is a little bit higher priced though.

Reactions: vlmurray

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the newest Pampered Chef one and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I never even thought about how much time I spent chopping veggies, meat, fruit, anything! until I bought that and the food chopper. If you don't have either I would recommend the food chopper first. I have had mine(the food chopper) for 7 years now and it's still going strong (I use it everyday) and it can go into the dishwasher. Well, they both can.

Reactions: vlmurray

·
8,714 Posts
~I've had a Good Grips mandolin for 3 years and it is a sturdy slicer! It's used often.
It does retail for around $100 but dh got it on sale around the holidays for less than $50.
Slicers save so much time and assure even cooking.~

ETA:
Amazon.com: Oxo Good Grips Mandoline Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

~Amazon has it for $65. It juliennes and waffles and the slice thickness is adjustable from 1/8 inch up. I use those features but others may not need them.~

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Keep your eye peeled for after-Christmas sales, that's when I found my mandolin at a kitchen supply store on the discount table. I got a Matfer Professional Mandoline (which are high-end and the most highly recommended choice in "The New Cooks' Catalogue " - the definitive guide to cooking equipment) for a fraction of what it was worth (it was a returned item without the box). I've always heard good things about the ones from Papered Chef (including the price).

If you are not accustomed to using a mandoline, for safety's sake you may want to also purchase cut-resistant gloves, and always use the "pusher" to hold your food.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm not sure what kind you bought at Walmart or what the problem was. I've had mine for over 25 years and still use it and I think that it cost $10. The blade never seems to dull and I'm not sure, but thinking that it is because it is not chopping down on a counter. I've seen the one I have at several discount stores for under $10 and I don't believe that any of them are a name brand. I'm really not sure what the real expensive ones do that is different from mine because I've never seen one working.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Love our mandolin. Found it on Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Pinzon-Stainless-Steel-Mandoline/dp/B000SZSJF0/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1228511629&sr=8-24"]Amazon.com: Pinzon Stainless-Steel Mandoline [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Home & Garden[/ame]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I bought the store brand one at Target and it had to be less then $20 and it's worked great for me. I make my own potato chips and it slices them up paper thin.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I just ordered the Pampered Chef mandolin. I've heard great things about it. I have alot of other Pampered Chef products that I just love.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I LOVE my Pampered Chef one. I found it for $5 from someone off of my local Craigslist.

I also love the Pampered Chef chopper- great for super strong onions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts