Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or give up? Just curious. Take care and God bless.

·
Registered
62 Posts
great thread!!! i'm new to the Frugal Forum but have been "frugaling" for a while now and have been giving this very topic a lot of thought!

Whole Milk (husband)
WEN hair cleanser (me)

i think just about everything else is up for grabs!

·
Registered
232 Posts
great topic! We're fussy about TP, we use Royale or sometimes Purex. We've tried other brands and didn't like them. My mom likes charmin.

I don't skimp on my hair (salon cut,coloured etc) or perfume (chanel) or make up.

I have nothing against generic brands, but tried a generic brand taco kit and it was really gross. We decided to stick with old el paso :p

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. And sometimes, the cheap versions are even better than their overpriced, fancy pkg counterparts.

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
984 Posts
We really prefer northern tp. I tried a few different brands including generics and even my 11 year old complained so I try to stick with that although I can get away with Charmin to. My dh is insistant about Hellmans mayo and Frenchs mustard. I only get them on sale though and I try to keep them stockpiled with coupons. I don't like off brand dish soap either only because it doesn't seem to last. I buy Dawn or Palmolive on sale with a coupon and just water it down very slightly to stretch it out. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head .

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
yep, TP...agree. we use charmin.

facial cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream, makeup primer, facial tinted moisturizer. bikini and brow waxes. haricuts.

vacations.

some things we cut back on, others, it just aint happenin...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am frugal so I can do things that I want to. So that means having my hair done once a month. Used to be once every other month but I divided the bimonthly appointment in half.

Good pairs of shoes. I don't mind spending a little extra on shoes since the older I get the more I need comfortable shoes.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
health and safety

Reactions: Mom2-3 and jas

·
Registered
904 Posts
I firmly believe that in order to get out of a financial mess, I have to do something different than before. I freely cut spending as much as possible in all areas I can.

The one place that I can't bring myself to skimp on is my cat. He still gets the same food, litter, medication and vet visits. Although I may buy the food, litter and medication with coupons.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I really don't skimp on anything. We use things conservatively,coupon,budget,buy used,auction,estate sale,garage sale,charity store and stockpile w/ sales. In other words,I just pay less in general. Further,my DD is in cosmetology school for nails. Manicures/pedicures and hair cuts $5.

·
2,688 Posts
I have to have my Dawn dish soap...
everything else is fair game :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I buy my Crisco in the pre-measured sticks instead of the can. I know it costs more, but it is so much more convenient. Also, being from Wisconsin, I use real butter and not oleo for baking.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i read this post and at this time in my life...

everything is fair game....have to cut wherever i can...

Reactions: Booklover and jas

·
Registered
906 Posts
Health - I pay a little more for high quality vitamins, avoid manufactured "foods" ...

·
Registered
174 Posts
real butter, extra virgin olive oil, organic fruit, veggies, and milk.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's kind of a tough question for me, because there really haven't been any sacrifices that I've made in my little lifestyle makeover.

There are things that I do less often, or do in a more frugal way. Then there are things I buy that I buy smarter...maybe not so often, use it up/wear it out, buy sales/coupons and stock up.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.