Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/nyregion/21lirr.html

97% of retired employees from the Long Island Rail Road (one of the public transportation systems here) got themselves put on disability post-retirement and they have been collecting a FORTUNE from the state ... hundreds of millions ...

Seems some of the main streeters used wall streeter tricks ...

The guys they profiled must be nearly dying of humiliation today.

I think Helene (the administrator who couldn't stop the unions) fed Walt (the author) the story ... but Walt is going to win another Pulitzer Prize for this article. It'll be his 4th. Remarkable.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Wow...just...wow.

--Michelle

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
ONLY in America, as my father says. VERY SAD that they get away with this! But, someday they will have to answer for this...they just think they are getting away with it!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
:yeah: Honestly... do they not feel an ounce of guilt?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Thanks for posting. Now, I understand how my bil who retired a few years ago from the LIRR affords that nice place in Saratoga Springs and the new Acura. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think things are going to change now. Thanks for sharing, we have friends who work in the auto industry that find ways to be on disability and get paid time off.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
UGH. Do people have NO shame. Don't they realize that they aren't taking money from an invisible entity....they are getting that money from Us. They are stealing OUR money.

Disgusting.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
The L.I.R.R.’s record also raises questions about why the Railroad Retirement Board approves nearly 100 percent of disability requests from all the nation’s railroads. The board is funded through taxes on railroads and their workers, but Social Security had to contribute $3.6 billion last year to cover expenses.
And we wonder why Social Security is going broke?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Virtually every career employee — as many as 97 percent in one recent year — applies for and gets disability payments soon after retirement, a computer analysis of federal records by The New York Times has found. Since 2000, those records show, about a quarter of a billion dollars in federal disability money has gone to former L.I.R.R. employees, including about 2,000 who retired during that time.
And it is not just engineers, conductors or track workers seeking disability payments. Dozens of retired white-collar managers are doing it as well, including the former deputy general counsel, employment manager, claims manager and director of government and community affairs.
This is really a shame. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How shameful! I bet it doesn't even bother them in the least though. So sad and it stinks for those of us who end up paying for their "disabilities".

·
Registered
900 Posts
Unbelievable and my 67 year old uncle who had quadruple bypass surgery, severe diabetes, and 2 strokes was denied disability 3 times...it took several years without working at all to get approved for disability. It's criminal.

·
Registered
933 Posts
...and then there are those that need it and have to fight for years and are turned down time after time. My sil had tried for several years and finally this past March her depression got so bad she shot and killed herself....but she was turned down because she wasn't sick enough. Guess what??? they coughed up her back pay to the family but to late to help her.

I myself have been fighting for almost 2 years to get mine after having a stroke, cancer, high blood pressure, liver disease, fibro, rheumatoid arthritis, a stomach disease, cataracts on both eyes, memory loss from the stroke and fibro and various other health issues but I'm told yes you have all that but....this that or the other excuse including the fact that I had worked. Now how much sense does that make. I worked up until the day I had a stroke and was carried out of the school building 6 1/2 years ago. We are drowning in hospital and doctor bills and I'll never get any better.

Stuff like this just makes me fuirous!! No wonder people that do need it can't get it. Bunch of boneheaded selfish jerks. Arghhh!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My husband was in the Coast Guard for four years and has a neck injury due to some accidents on the ship (that were not his fault). This neck injury is severe, and the only "cure" is to operate. It is in a location that is extemely delicate, and could cause even more damage if there is a problem during surgery. DH has opted to get meds to keep it under control. He can apply for more disablilty, but would make much much less than he would working. He gets a whole 115.00 for pain meds.. Which is Advil.. My brother and DH have seen numerous veterans with missing limbs and other body parts, who are all considered disabled, according to the government, and yet these people who fought, and served to protect our country are not being given a tenth of what these "poor railroad workers" are getting.. Where is the logic in that??? Go figure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts