Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bunch of no-training, no-experience teenagers?

Sheesh, I am not the least bit picky (I have a simple, short haircut), but I have been there twice and had two bad haircuts. I mean really bad. I know how to cut hair better than they do, and I have no training! I cut DH's, both DS's when they come home, my FIL's, and my BIL's before he died last week. Also used to do my Dad's and sometimes trim my sister's. If I could see the back better, I'd do my own.

This last girl at WM two weeks ago, acted like I was interrupting her magazine reading, cut my hair sooooo uneven and weird, I have been chopping on it for two weeks here and there to get it looking even....ok. I know it's hard to know what people want, but this is just ignorance of how hair is cut...period.

She also snipped my ear (deep!)and had me bleeding, cut the back shorter than a military man, when I put my finger to where I wanted the back to show her, and left a huge chunk of my bangs completely uncut on the left side, two inches longer than the rest of them. I looked bizarre! I am always nice and friendly and not 'bossy' in my instructions to hairstylists. I just tell them if they take a 1/2 inch off all over it will be Ok. I also tip well.

PLUS--WM upped their price by two dollars for the baseline cut. Sheesh. I'm going back to 1st Choice Haircutters.

·
8,714 Posts
~You should definitely complain to the managers about your experiences. The bleeding alone should have been enough to have you not pay.
I go to Gullo's. I always get a great cut(once had a stylist spend 45 minutes, near closing time!, to be sure it was perfect)and spend just $13 plus tip.~

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...never heard of Gullo's. Is it a chain? I don't think we have any around here. 1st Choice has pretty good 'cutters'. I just had it done at WM cause I was already there. YOu know---the dream of one-stop-shopping-and-more. LOL!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have paid a lot for hair cuts in the past and decided it wasn't worth it. I have had expensive hair cuts messed up as well. The last few years I have gone to a beauty college and have gotten the best hair cuts. They are train on the latest techniques and can do a simple hair cut or something more trendy. I have had more compliments on my hair than I have in years. They have to have to consult with an educator before they can start on your hair and have it checked when they are done. If they are fairly new they educators will stay with them and sometimes do part of the cut. Last year I was the first hair cut done by one of the students on a live person. She did a wonderful job and I stayed with her until she graduated. Sometimes I will switch around. They work for free so I do give them a tip but that is up to you.

I have had color done there as well and they did a great job but I just do my own hair at home.

Anyway, if you have one near you give them a try. I pay ten bucks for a cut but would probably pay 50 for this type of cut anywhere else.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I don't know about your walmart- but the haircut place in ours is a chain that just rents the space.

Reactions: cab54

·
Registered
906 Posts
That is why I cut my own hair now. It didn't matter if I went to an inexpensive place or a pricey place, they couldn't do it. The beauty school couldn't do it either. The only good haircut I had at a beauty school was when my cousin was in school. I got her an EZ A. Her know it all instructor was going to show her how to do my kind of hair right (not knowing we were related and my cousin had been playing with my hair all her life) and the instructor couldn't even do my hair. Cuz grabbed the comb and "you mean this" and did my hair right up. LOL!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Figure what Wal-Mart probably pays these employees, then figure how many of Wal-Mart's customers leave a decent tip, and you'll probably get an idea of the motivation the employees have to do a decent cut. Just a guess, right or wrong.

Where I live, it's generally a Cost Cutters that rents space from Wal-Mart. I've had decent cuts from Cost Cutters, and I've had terrible cuts from Cost Cutters. Ultimately, it's best to shop around until you can find someone who cuts your hair well, and then continue to go to that same person.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i go to a small salon that is locally owned by a woman i was in a town womans league with 10 years ago . pay maybe 25$ for cut - brows and tip but i like supporting a small business owner in our local area who is w woman.

i only go every 3-4 months and do the trims myself inbetween

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Cost Cutters, what a blast from the past for me. That was the first salon I managed at 21 years old. I loved working for that company back then. Great Clips bought them out years ago.

Cab, sounds like a horrible experience. Thank goodness hair grows!! I think it's Smart Styles or something like that that rent here.

I've seen some horrible 30 dollar haircuts and awesome 15 dollar hair cuts. It just depends on the individual and how much they like their job.

I agree that you should complain to the manager. I would try to find a stylist you like a stick with them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've had my hair cut at Cost Cutters, at Wal Mart, once...ONLY once...
Once was enough. I have no intention of EVER going back.
They botched my hair so bad it took almost 6 months and several other hair cuts to get it straightened out.

I wasn't asking the hairdresser to do anything difficult...
I wear my hair pretty long and wavy on the sides and back...my bangs are longish but not near as long as the rest of my hair...I just needed a trim on the ends of it all and my bangs shortened about an inch or so...well, that's not what actually happened...:hmmm:
It was a nightmare.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Like someone else said..........good thing hair grows. It sucks when you get a bad cut. It is like starting all over again, while it grows out. BTDT!!

Sorry this happened to you..........for the same reason I won't be going back to any Fantastic Sams anytime soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If it's not too late, I'd take pictures of the cut and the snip to your ear. Write a nice letter outlining your disappointment, make 2 copies. Deliver one to the manager of the salon, another to the head office of the cutting company.
If someone snipped the ear of one of my children so badly they were bleeding and needed pressure to stop the flow of blood there would be no end to the fury I would unleash on that place.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As a stylist....I've seen where people have paid 10 bucks for a bad cut and where they have spent 50 bucks for a bad cut.... Here's the bottom line....Find someone through word of mouth who will give you the cut you desire... Although I charge somewhere between those two amounts, I find that my clients come to me for more than "just a cut"... we are friends and they can and do tell me anything and everything that is happening in their lives, knowing that what they say, will never go any further... if you're just looking for a haircut at a chain, then the person cutting it has no vested interest in you, other than your money...and frankly...those cutters at Wal Mart are only getting paid minimum wage...so they really have no interest at all in who you are.... its the private sector that depends on their reputation to build that clientele, therefore they are going to work their hardest to keep you.... a long time ago I was told...that only 10 percent of the educated stylists make money.... the other 90 percent struggle to make anything or eventually leave the job.. after 35 years of doing this job...i find that to be pretty accurate....

·
Registered
328 Posts
The hair cutting place in walmart is rented out. Walmart has nothing to do with it. They are their own company.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know about your walmart- but the haircut place in ours is a chain that just rents the space.
A Chain.......is that like Aretha Franklin's 'Chain of Fools' ??

BWAHAHAhahahahahaha!! :toothy:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have had my hair cut at Walmart a couple of times and it wasn't too bad. Of course I do not believe it was of the same caliber as a good salon. Although soon I will not have to worry about that. My daughter is in school for cosmetology and although I am not bragging she has always had a natural gift when it comes to hair so soon she will be my cutter, she is already my stylist.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.