Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean by that is...does your dh feel you don't trust him to do a good job "taking care of things" because you want to be involved in the financial decisions OR does he feel threatened?

A close friend is having this problem and I have (on occassion ) had similiar problems with my dh...

How do you deal with it if you encounter this????

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't have that problem, I am in charge of the money only big decisions are run by DH. Refinacing and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Mine has turned the money over to me and says he doesnt want to be involved with it anymore.
Of course he ran everyting into the ground just before he did so...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Dh doesn't even know if we have any money or not. He has never even asked. He just trust my judgement and tells me to do whatever is needed. When he wants to make a big purchase though, he will ask me if we can afford it. Other than that, he has no clue where any money goes.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Not really a problem here...I pay the bills simply because when dh writes a check, we can't read what he wrote in the check register! We make all financial decisions together, big or small, and it works pretty well for us.

·
27,948 Posts
AmyBoz said:
Not really a problem here...I pay the bills simply because when dh writes a check, we can't read what he wrote in the check register! We make all financial decisions together, big or small, and it works pretty well for us.
Same for us here, we've always been partners and everything goes in one pot. Works for us too.:)

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Nope, dh doesn't care what I do as long as I take care of the finances..on the other hand I do get frustrated with him...he will spend then I have to "fix" it...but he will not make big purchases with out talking to me first...I have to say if we can work it out or not(money wise)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now we are working thru the math to see if we can afford to fix this house his sister has and D's worried that it may be more than we can handle.

BUT to find that out I had to take the bull by the horns and drag it out of him...his plans...he's on vacation next week and is going to do a VERY close examination of the house...try to estimate what it will cost...etc.

I just feel like I'm:bang: and it's making me:confused: and :( .

Men can be soooooooo:stupid: sometimes that I'd just like to dunk them all in a:toilet:

·
Registered
260 Posts
No problem here! I have full custody of the checkbook:toothy: I do have to treat him like a little kid at the store sometimes-"can we get this?" No- "Can we get this?" NO....... He then pouts a while and asks if all the bills are paid this week,and I say "YES"

MEN:bang:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
We are the same as Amy and Darlene. I take care of the bills, but if dh wants to make a large purchase, he always asks me first. :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Years ago, when DH and I were first married, he had no clue as to how to budget. He would get so upset with me when I told him that we couldn't afford a or b because we had to pay the bills. After 2 years of this stress I finally turned the checkbook and bill paying over to him. He did an amazing turn a round and now he is even more concervative with money than I am!;)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I handle most of the money here. When DH does spend he brings me the reciepts. We both make the decisions on how/where the money goes, he really doesn't care as long as all the bills are paid first.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
my dh is the only of the two of us with an account, i couldn't get an account anywhere if I had lotto winnings falling outta my pockets. (that's what i get for accepting a credit card as a teenager i guess) And let me tell you dh is a *bleep bleep bleepity bleep* about HIS money.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We're a team- dh does the actual writing of the checks to pay the bills, simply because he's home all the time. We work on the budget together, input the data into Quicken together and so forth.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I am the only one that has anything to do with the money in the household. Except for the fact that the dh makes it.:D I have always done the bills. If my dh wants to buy something, he will ask me if there is enough money in the account to get it. The only thing that he will get without asking is gas. Well, even then sometimes he asks to make sure that there is money there. Anytime he has bought stuff, he always forgets to put it in the check book. Then everything is screwed up and we are short money that we thought that we had. So, I told him that from now on, I have to know what he spends or if he even thinks of spending money because the budget is tight, and we don't always have it. If I left the bills up to him, we would be homeless and broke.:bang: Not to mention, all the others would be paid late or forgotten completely. When he was deployed to Germany, every week, I would put some money in an account for him so that he had money and then I would pay the bills with what I had left. It works for us.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I set the budget and run the household. DH has his "running money". He hands over half his check for the household account, the rest is his. I make sure the bills are paid on time and have us on a debt reduction plan. I had to make him hand over his debit card to the house account because he kept taking money out and not replacing it. I love DH and he is good at making money but a total dumb bunnie when it comes to saving, investing, or even the basics of paying stuff on time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I find it interesting the mainly the women on this site handle the finances! :) Very cool!

I am the same. DH's paycheck goes directly into his account. He doesn't even pay attention to when he gets paid. I handle the checkbook, paying bills, etc.

The only time he checks with me on a purchase is if it is somewhat large or out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I handle the groceries and take care of daycare. I use to put 50 -75.00 in the bank for my expenses and give him the rest toward household bills. He writes the checks for bills and sends them out. We make large purchase decisions together, but DH is very closed mouthed about what he plans to do. He figures why talk it to death -- just do it...anyway...IT DRIVES ME NUTS.

Sometimes when we go to Wal-Mart, I'll have to remind him that we can't afford something...a 200.00 recliner...cause we are trying to SAVE money...hehehe

He can be a horrific impulse shopper!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts