Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to read, it is one of my favorite things to do in the entire world. I started reading in all my spare time as a child because I was not the most popular girl and it took away some of the unhappiness of not getting invited to parties or to dances, I could curl up with a good book and find myself transported to any destination and have lots more fun than I would have with my peers. I love to read most all fiction but I my favorites are horror suspense type books, not slasher or graphic novels but a good haunted house tale or a great Stephen King, Dean Koontz or John Saul kind of book. What type of books does the avid reader kither enjoy?

Reactions: LeeCee

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i love mysteries. am a very avid reader also

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I love to read and i always have a book going even if it takes a while to find time to read it. i love mysteries of all kinds espcially janet evanovich and fantasy stuff like tolken, narnia.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love to read, too. In fact I just finished a Clive Cussler novel. I think I've read all of his now. I love to read all types of books, but especially love Historical Fiction, and Action-Adventure types.

suesue

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Katybird-I relate to those memories. I like to read a lot of "junk food" books. John Grisham, modern woman books (like Sex and the City) and things that I see on the Bestseller's list. I've had to supplement my reading addiction with used books because I realized how much I was spending on new!

I've tried getting library books-but I reread books and I'll remember a certain passage from a book I've read long ago and want to read it again. So I like to keep books I read on one of my bookshelves.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I read at least an hour a day. I would read more except for silly things like kids, eatting, sleeping and the ever annoying thing of RUNNING OUT OF BOOKS TO READ! HAHA!

Recently I've been reading more non-fiction books but mostly I read fantasy novels. :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
reading is my favourite thing to do, I was always a big reader as a child and Ciara has my love of books too, one of the first things i remember when I was about 7 was saving up my pocket money each week and buying the famous five series

I like most Genre of books, i love mystery thriller forensic types, Kathy Reichs, Nikki French, Lee Child, David Baldacci, James patterson, Harlan Coban........

I love Historical fiction type books, Barbara Erskine and Elizabeth Chadwick ( the brit author NOT the american eliz chadwick romance novelist!)

I also love my *rainy day easy reading books* Cathy Kelly, Maeve Binchy, Cecelia Ahern, Louise Bagshaw.

and fantasy type ones..Terry Pratchett anyone?

Im also reading alot of Nora Roberts ( and her alter ego JD Robb)at the moment

Katybird - I LOVE John saul - I was a huge fan of his during my teenage years and I have all the Stephen Kings although I havnt been impressed with them in later years.

Oh the list could go on and on!!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I LOVE TO READ!!! I don't have the time to read as much as I would like, and I honestly can say that I miss it terribly. While I was at the hospital with the baby, I had dh bring me "Next" by Michael Crichton, and while Matty would sleep, I would read. Now, I'm frustrated because I want to keep reading it all the time, but the time is gone again! I feel like there is always something else I should be doing when I sit down to read. Very frustrating.

I love to read mysteries like James Patterson and Jeffrey Deaver, legal thrillers like John Grisham, medical science books like Michael Crichton, and sci-fi type things like Dean Koontz. I used to love Maeve Binchy, but somewhere along the way, the romantic novel started to bore me.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I am an avid reader. I have always loved mystery books. My favorites are Mary Higgins Clark, Terri Blackstock, and John Grisham.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I love Grisham, Evanovich, Cornwell, Sanford, my list could go on and on as well

·
8,714 Posts
~I'm a big reader too. I spent most of my youth reading the classics and mysteries. I've tried reading thrillers and bestsellers and I've always been bored or disgusted. I like Christian romance alot, even though I know they're corny. Lately I'm in a history/biography kick. I'm reading a biography of Milton Hershey right now.~

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I LOVE READING!I don't have near enough time to do it between work/school/baby/housework, but I love to read! I just finished two Steve Berry books---kinda Da Vinci codish but very good!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Me! Me! Me!

Huge fan of Stephen King, James Patteson, Janet Evanovich, Dean Koontz (eagerly waiting for the 3rd installment of the Frankenstein series!)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I like all types of books both fiction and non-fiction. Always seem to have 2 or 3 going at one time. Theres one in my van for when I've got to wait on someone "The Yarn Harlot the secret life of a knitter" by Stephanie Pearl - Mcphee, next to the bed is "Horseshoes, Cowsocks and Duckfeet" By Baxter Black, by my chair in the livingroom on the top of the 3 foot stack is "Grape Expectations" By Tamar Myers. In my stack are a few more by her also J.A. Jance. Waiting for the next J.D. Robb to come out I like Dallas. The bathrooms both have travelbooks in them 1001 places you should see before you die and Exciting Travel Places.
I'm one of those folks whos list of want to reads is longer then the national debt and I'm making better progress. I always look for the used book stores when we go out of town and will always leave a yardsale with a pile.

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I love to read and my parents say I was born reading because it seems like I always have a book in my hands. :) I'll read just about anything. I seem to enjoy the "chick lit" of the past few years but lately I've been more disciplined and am reading 4-5 non-fiction for every fiction book. My sister teases me that my favorite kind of book is a "book about books". (Books about reading, suggested reading lists, etc.).

The only thing I read over and over again these days (other than my Bible) is Jane Austen. I used to buy tons of books and read them over and over but I don't really do that anymore. Most things I read once and then move on to something new.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
According to family legend, I could read very well by the time I was 3....I literally cannot personally remember ever not reading. It has always been, and remains my favorite activity. I read just about anything I can get my hands on (including food labels) with a few exceptions:
NO romance, Western religion, or overly-prolific writers who churn out countless books that are boringly similar to each other.

My faves are classics, biographies, true-crime, philosophy, history, non-fiction books on old-timey skills and living (like the Fox Fire series), cookbooks. Once in a great while I like to read something utterly nasty, trashy and with no redeeming values, just to add spice.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I love reading, most anything I can get my hands on, books, magazines, newspapers.
My favorite part of having apppointments is getting to read in the waiting room or when traveling getting to read in the car or on the plane.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I also love to read. I read the Bible for an hour every day and a work of fiction for an hour. I am a big Stephen King fan. I just finished reading Cell by SK and just started Lisey's Story also by SK.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am an avid reader! My mom said, from the time I was old enough to walk and talk I would chase her around with a stack of books saying, "read! read!" She said this would be an all day event :) My poor mom! I learned to read at around 5 years old and I haven't put books down since. My mom was so happy when I finally learned to read to myself, I chased her around to do it a lot less. I even started teaching my sister how to read after I learned. I don't know if I was a help at all but I guess I tried. :) I usually have a few books going at once. My favorite books are light fiction without a lot of adult content or violence, frugal books, books on finance, self improvement books, the Harry Potter books :), and books by John Grisham (my favorite author). I also like magazines, my favorite one is Real Simple.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts