Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read right thru that enormous thread below with 20 something pages..it was thrilling ..I loved every bit of it..but it an old thread and I wondered who is still dehydrating? And still loving it...I pulled my dehydrator out and I have also ordered a new one so I can really get going with all I want to do..we are a family of eight so I need heaps...also anyone have sites with good ideas for recipes using dehydrated foods...this week I have done fruit roll up..peas,celery,strawberries,apples,pears,bananas

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm still dehydrating and I upgraded to an Excalibur a couple of months ago. I love it!! Last month I dehydrated 40# of tomatoes. (Thankfully my BF's mom bought us an electric slicer for Christmas.) I have a bunch of Fuji apples in the basement I need to dehydrate but we've been busy getting the ground prepared for planting the garden. We have been doing a great job of dehydrating all fruits and veggies in the fridge that we are not eating fast enough. I also dehydrate when we find great deals. Dehydrating is new to me so I'm great at dehydrating but not so good about using what we have dehydrated. We bought the book "Dehydrator Bible" it has a lot of great recipes but we have not used it yet. My college finals were last week so I'm hoping to have more time to play with dehydrating recipes.

How do you make your fruit roll ups?

Oh, I almost forgot. We ordered a Sun Oven last week and it came with 3 dehydrating trays. I can't wait to dehydrate in it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To make the roll ups I follow the directions from dehydrate2store on you tube..I made a lovely strawberry roll up last night.she adds a little corn syrup...

We are into autumn here in Australia and I have just extended our garden thus year from big to huge..so we will have loads to dehydrate in a few months... I am going to love this I find bottling tomatoes etc a bit full on at times so stacking trays is so much easier and I get a long shelf life I am totally stoked.. I ordered a 2nd dehydrated last night so I can step up production..I am cleaning out all my preserving jars and bought some oxygen absorbers to get me under way...

Thanks for the book recommendation ..I have that very book sitting in my amazon cart right now..any other recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dried apples the other day in about 5 hours ..but a dehydrator hardly uses any power ,its so cheap....I would like hubby to build me some racks to use for the summer time outdoors..i was just reading you need at least 4 days of over 100f...thats easy where we live ,, this past summer has been long and hot and its a dry heat where I am not like up north its humid(which would also add issues to outdoor dehydrating)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I haven't been using mine. I want to get an Excalibur. My older one is a pain, everything sticks to it. I got parchment paper to try in it but I will have to trace and cut since my dehydrator is round. I don't want to spray oil on it because that would be gross. It is just a big inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I am new to dehydrating too. I bought an inexpensive one at the Salvation Army. Then a couple of months ago I found an excalibur 9 tray with the door missing for $14.95. The door costs $30; but still waaaaaayyy cheaper than a new one.
Does anyone know how to make tomato powder?

·
19,119 Posts
So glad you started this thread! I want to start dehydrating again. Need to figure out food prices and all those little details. Need to pull out my old reliable cheap round cracked dehydrator and see what I can do!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
To make the roll ups I follow the directions from dehydrate2store on you tube..I made a lovely strawberry roll up last night.she adds a little corn syrup...
Thanks! I will check that out. I like that website. It’s where I learned to dehydrate potatoes.

I am new to dehydrating too. I bought an inexpensive one at the Salvation Army. Then a couple of months ago I found an excalibur 9 tray with the door missing for $14.95. The door costs $30; but still waaaaaayyy cheaper than a new one.
Does anyone know how to make tomato powder?
What a score!! I'm jealous because we paid near full price for ours.

For tomato powder we just slice, dehydrate and then run the dried tomatoes through a coffee grinder for powder. If I want it to be more like flakes and a few medium sized pieces I use the Ninja blender.

How do you keep things from sticking to it?
We also have a cheap round one. I have not figured out a good way to keep the food from sticking. I've used the herb tray because you can bend it and get the food off of it easier than the hard spoke tray. The bad thing about that is that it takes longer to dry. I've used cheese cloth. It worked great for the frozen mixed veggies, until I tossed it in the washer and drier. It shriveled, knotted & I had to throw it out. I’ve read that you can use old panty hose. You just slide the tray in the leg hole. I never wear panty hose so I’ve never tried it.

I bought a food dehydrator a few months ago and I dried a lot of apples, but being frugal I found it used too much power. I wouldn't mind having a solar powered one. How long does it take you to dry apples on your dehydrators? It takes about 7 hours on mine, and I think that is too long.
Unfortunately that sounds about right. I’m on time of day electric so I do most of my dehydrating on the weekends and during the night when my electricity is 1/3 the price. My 9 tray Excalibur costs 2.7 cents/hour during non-peak rate and @9 cents/ hour during peak rate. The round dehydrator costs 3.2 cents/hour non-peak and @.10/hour during peak. I found that the round one takes @2-4 hours longer to dry than the Excalibur. Plus the 9 Tray Excalibur dries roughly twice as much as 5 round trays.

With that being said 10 hours of drying time will cost me $0.27 - 1.00 depending which machine I use and the time of day I dry the goods. IMHO $1 to preserve food & put it on my pantry shelf indefinitely is less than I would pay to keep it frozen in the freezer and to risk freezer burn. Plus dehydrating destroys the least amount of nutrition, 2-5% freezing is in the middle (30-50% is destroyed if I remember correctly) and canning destroys @80% of the nutrition. Not to say that I don't use other methods of preservation but I take more than just cost into consideration. Sometimes my laziness factor is really high and it wins over cost, nutrition or common sense.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm dehydrating mushrooms today. Yesterday at the discount grocery store the sliced mushrooms were $1.29/pound. I bought 3 pounds, enough to fill the 5 tray dehydrator and make a salad.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm dehydrating mushrooms today. Yesterday at the discount grocery store the sliced mushrooms were $1.29/pound. I bought 3 pounds, enough to fill the 5 tray dehydrator and make a salad.
I don't know WHY I didn't think of doing that!! I need to clean my dehydrator and get going. Aldi has really good produce prices around here.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You are so lucky!!! I miss Aldi terribly. I'm originally from Ohio and if it wasn't for them (& gleaning from my parents garden) I would have starved during my divorce. When my BF & I visited my family in Ohio last summer we went to Aldi and my BF was so intrigued by the quarter carts. LOL!

I love dehydrated mushrooms on pizza and they work great in spaghetti sauce, lasagna and such. Plus I love the smell of the house when they are dehydrating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts