Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we all have such a diverse taste in reading, I was trying to think of a way to breathe a little life into this book club! :)

How about a challenge? I am always finding books that I started and didn't finish, and sometimes life just gets so hectic, I just don't read at all, although once I start again, I remember how much I enjoy it.

So my November challenge is to pick a number of books that you will try to read this coming month. I tend to read non-fiction, and sometimes it is a bit "intellectual" (i.e, takes you a while to digest), so I don't think I can do more than finish two that I started some time ago and maybe read one more. I am going to try to finish "Collapse," which I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and I am also going to finish "The God Part of the Brain" (about 1/4 of the way through), and then I'm going to treat myself to a fiction novel, although I'm not sure which one yet.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am in for the challenge. ;)
I am going to try for 10 books.
Mine is all pleasure reading.

I am going to start out with:

The Cinco De Mayo Murder by Lee Harris
Echo Burning by Lee Child
This Family of Women by Richard Peck
Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell
1st to Die by James Paterson

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Ten is ambitious, even for "pleasure" books! (I have a friend who calls those "mind candy." :) ) I occasionally get hooked on those, too, but I don't think I could do ten in a month. Maybe once I'm retired! (Probably not even then. I'm not the world's fastest reader.)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In order to "grease the gears," and in honour of the holiday, I am reading "100 Hair-raising Little Horror Stories." My version of mind candy. :) I'll jump into the challenge reading on November 1.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I want in on this challenge. I am going to try to finish 2 books that I have started reading a while back.

1. Mom over Miami by Annie Jones
2. Noah's Ark by Judy Baer

Good luck to all!!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I am about 1/3 of the way through The Marrying Game by kate Saunders. It is not holding my interest, but I hate to start something and not finish it. So, I'll try to finish this one and read at least one more.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First day of the challenge! Good luck to everyone!! I'll expect book reports by Nov 30th!! (No, not really, although I'd love to see reviews of everyone's books.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in on this one. I love to read and am retired so I should be able to go to town on this one.

I'll aim high and say 15. Hope I can make it!!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just flew through 2 books for work. The Accidental Mother ~ I am leading a parent's reading group, and All of the Above ~ a really good "I'll show you..." kinda book for a teacher's book talk. I have to finish reading the last two books recommended by my dd's teachers Last Child in the Woods and Punished by Rewards. I feel like I shouldread these, but they are just not holding my interest. I also need to finish The Last Lecture and want to read something for fun. Haven't picked that one yet:) Great challenge! I need to get going with it!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I want in on this one....I want to finish ten books. I have the last two Nicholas Sparks books, along with the last Beverly Lewis book. There is also quite a few Danielle Steele books that were just gifted to me that I haven't read (I don't think) but I will have to list titles later. I am typing in the dark can't read the titles.;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
emily_hope,
Please let me say that I don't know how I did this - The Following User Says NO Thank You to emily_hope For This post - but please know that I didn't mean to. I just don't know how to undo it. I am so sorry.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you accidentally hit the "groan" button when you meant to hit the "thanks" button? I just noticed that "groan" thing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I didn't even know I hit the groan thingy until I was looking back over the post at the different book titles....I would have never used that button here. I have learned too much to be ungrateful for anything that is shared.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it is kind of a rude button. Not sure who had the concept that it was a good idea. Should have made it bright red or something to distinguish it from the "thanks" button.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I haven't started any yet so I am already behind! :toast:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good morning, fellow readers

Here's my first book:

1) Love, Lies and Liquor by M. C. Beaton

I love English mysteries.

Happy reading!!!!!