Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent to much on groceries the last 2 months and my freezer, pantry cabinets you name it are bursting. (thanks to the great Kroger sales)
Who wants to join me in a pantry /freezer challenge.
Lets see how much we can use up and how creative we can be in using up those odd cans of stuff pushed to the back of the pantry or cabinet or lost in the freezer.
Try not to spend any money on groceries except for perishables and rock bottom good deals.
Anyone want to join. This will not start until October 1 so you will have time to stock up on things that you know you will need and give time to make up menus.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think I am creative enough to do this type of challenge yet LOL but I hope that all of you who do this will post all your meals so one day I will join in!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I want in :) I usually try to use up stuff and go thru my stockpile (checking for anything close to expiration dates) at the end of October/November since it is the ending of hurricane season and before Christmas....so this will be perfect! It might be a little scary toward the end of the month....I know there are some hidden gems in my chest freezer (yikes!).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm in!!! I need to eat down our freezers so I have room for turkeys in November!!! Good luck all, Katy

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm in. This is week 5 being unemployed (thank heavens for the pantry!). We have decided this is the way it is going to be for us for a while. After I get a job I will need to fix the damage to savings so the budget will stay tight for a bit longer :)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
ME ME ME ME We just moved a month ago and I am already bursting at the seams (yea double coupons!!!) - anyway, I am in, DEFINITLY

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'm in!!...Actually I have already started !!..I made out a menu yesterday!...I have stuff that I have to throw out because it is way past expiration( I'm talking years :toothy:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I'd love to, but I'm currently building my pantry up..lol. We used ours up over the summer with camping. Great tiem to use up the canned stuff ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am sooo in! I have about $800 in debt that I want to get paid off this month and I will NEED to use up ALL the food in the house. I don't want to buy anything unless it is the normal...milk, pop and bread...that kind of stuff!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I will so be watching and making notes!!

I won't participate this time around as I am just starting to build a stockpile.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm in here as well. I seriously need to defrost my freezer outside. I wonder how many different ways CAN I use all of those frozen tomatoes from my garden? This should be interesting!

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am in, we have a car repair on the credit card that I want to pay in full without tapping into savings. To do that I need to slash the grocery budget. I have a very well stocked pantry and freezer so now is the time. Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll try. Can you tell how unconfident I am about this one??? :) I need to get some chicken breasts...How pathetic is it that the best price I've seen in like 6 mo on boneless/skinless breasts are $1.89 - I always stocked up at $1.67 or so. So I am picking some up this week and then will only get minor stuff for the rest of the month.

Dh's family are farmers (including cattle) and we "butcher" our own beef (we get it quartered and cut/package ourselves) and I need to empty the freezer (as much as possible) to thaw it out. I think that we are butchering sometime in October.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm definitely in! I don't have much grocery money this month, what with not being paid for 3 weeks out of 6, so I'm gonna use up my pantry supplies. I don't know if I can get too creative, what with it just being me and all, but I'll try.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Count me in. I was just thinking that I need to quit buying and start using. I've gotten some good deals this past month and my pantry and freezer are bursting at the seams as well. Time to use it up and quit buying new for a while.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm soooooo in! I'm a bad one for buying stuff I already have lots of.

I challenge myself to get down to the nitty gritty in October and vow only to buy perishables and some meat.

Looking forward to starting and challenging myself with a menu plan for the month.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts