Frugal Village Forums banner

Who knew that not being able to breath is not as much as an ER as I thought.

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Rhiamon 
#1 ·
I wish life would just slow down a little bit. This month I have gotten an eviction notice because ODSP some how lost the cheque between them and my landlords. So I played phone tag for a week and a little to get it all sorted out. Finally it got fixed YEAH!. DD has been sick on and off and missing school because of what ever is going around. I have had a cold for several weeks. Finally the other day I started to cough up phlegm and blood. Called my mom and finally went to my doctors walk in clinic. I get there and am coughing non stop and very very loud. I wait two hours for the dr to come in and tell me I need to be in the ER like yesterday. So he writes me a note to give to them and calls them. I get there and the first thing the nurse says is you are coughing put on a mask. I try to tell her between coughs that the clinic just sent me over here is the note I am having a severe asthma attack and have been having one apparently for several days. (according to the Dr anyways.) She says it does not matter it will upset the other patients. WTF!!! I tell her I can not breath in them and when I try to inhale because my body is working so hard that I practically inhale the mask. Doesn't matter wear it, then I get told go wait in the waiting room. Mean while I have started to cough non stop. Ever inhale and exhale puts me into worse and worse coughing. So finally after 45 mins they call me. I can't even walk to the bed. I can't talk, I can't move with out coughing. I wait another ten minutes. Doctor comes in says I read the note I need to listen to your lungs. And then says you are hardly moving any air. So I get several nebulizar treatments, and am on a course of oral steroids along with my other 2 inhalers. OH and this nurse comes in at one point when I still have the mask on and says cover your mouth as well when you cough. I swear if I could I think I would of gone ape shit on her.
Any ways I am home and can't sleep because I can't lie down and have started to cough again not as bad though.
Oh and the cat knocked my Yule tree down and broke one of my glass ornaments.
I see no reason at this point that we should all not hibernate until Spring and hope for a better year next year.

See less See more
#3 ·
Please get ahold of the director of the hospital and let them know what happened to you. That was very dangerous and possibly life-threatening and you should have been seen immediately! Hospitals make me sick. My residents at the nursing home come back from the hospital 9 out of 10 times with some nasty thing they didn't have when they got sent out.

#4 ·
Really not buying the asthma diagnosis go to the hospital sounds more like pneumonia

Reactions: Rhiamon
#6 ·
Someone I used to know was a nurse. She said told me once to state that I was having trouble breathing, which I was, when I went to the ER. Supposedly you get seen faster. Seems I was having some type of allergic reaction. Had woken up itching and scratching and not able to take a deep breath.

I second leighcat's recommendation and let them know what happened to you.

Hope things calm down for you. Take care of yourself.

#7 ·
Wow, I can't believe the nurse was so cold and nasty to you!

Having had asthmatic bronchitis for about 6 weeks during Oct.-Nov., I know how it is to be coughing and coughing and can't breathe well (and when you do, it doesn't seem as though the air is making it into your body), and how sick you feel. What a lot of people like to tell me is a 'chest cold' is really a secondary infection/inflammation due to having asthma. It hurts (sore, raw bronchi), it is so tiring (no air getting in, and coughing all the time), and it sucks. Chest colds go away. Asthmatic bronchitis lasts for weeks. I've had it since my late 20s and I'm 57.

BTW--I don't want to diagnose and treat you, but the last time I got it (last month) the doc gave me Levaquin (antibiotic), Advair inhaler (twice a day med, works differently than regular rescue inhaler), and a Medrol dosepack (steroids for the inflammation). I felt better SOOOOO much faster. I asked him---where has this been all my life?? Sigh. Get a clue, Doc, I'm sick!

Your doc may have similar, or other ideas of how to treat you (everybody is different).

Hope things slow down and get calmer for you!

Reactions: Rhiamon
#10 ·
I see you are in Canada- at the ERs in our area you RARELY even sit in a waiting room with people anymore (midwest USA). They generally take people right back to consultation rooms. I remember years ago when there were waiting rooms and loads of people. ER trips still take a long time, but at least no waiting rooms.

#13 ·
Up date

I went to my family Dr yesterday, and have been put on antibiotics and a very high dose of predisone. My wheezing was so bad that they had a hard time hearing the crackle but it is there. If I am still not getting any better by tomorrow I have to go back to the walk in clinic and be sent for a chest x-ray. The Dr also told me to slow down and take it easy or I will get much much worse. How do you do that as a single mom?
So a friend of mine came over today we are going to go rent some movies and knit for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.