Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any extra residents in your home? Have you been able to identify them? Have you seen/heard/felt/spoke/experienced them? Are they friendly or fearsome? Do you take any steps to please/discourage them?

Tell us your spooky tales!!! :ghost:

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
The house we had in PA had the ghost of a little girl around 3 years old in it. DD and I are the only ones that ever saw her, but we could hear her running in the hall alot. She also liked to play with dd's toys.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I was born in a house that they said was haunted. The man we bought the house off of killed himself the day my dad went to help him move.
They said he haunted the house afterwards. ( He just didn't really want to move ).

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
When I was a child we lived in a house that was a hog pen my dad rebuilt. MY bedroom was actually the attic. I would cry at night that the eyes were watching me. I dont think anybody believed me and if I brought it up today I would most likely be laughted at.

·
27,948 Posts
Come on & dish Nada, I'm betting you have some stories.
I only saw a ghost once and that was outdoors on someone elses property. I have had the feeling of being somewhere before...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
never lived in a haunted house, but i swear a store i worked in was haunted. i'd sit in teh back room and stuff would pop of teh pegs. none of the pegs were overfilled so it wasn't gravity. they would just start popping off the pegs. i named the ghost harrold. if i said taht's enough harrold, it would stop so i guess it liked teh name.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol

Well, I've never lived in a haunted house, but I do have stories. :p

~ The apartment we live in now has a cat spirit. :smooch: and I have both seen it. It's a little black cat, probably a young adult or older kitten. I went into the apartment door one day and saw it rushing at me from the corner of my left eye. It was very horror-movie-esque -- there was this rushing "WoooooSH!" noise that filled my ears and I saw this black cat dart at me, but in an instant it was gone. :smooch: said he opened our door to the apartment one day and thought it was our cat that rushed towards him from inside the apartment, but it was too small and black. It dissapeared before it got to him. We have never felt uncomfortable here, and our cat seems very relaxed and calm.

~ I have felt hands on me in the last apartment I lived in (and no, they weren't :smooch: ). I was lying in bed one night, on my back, with my head on a pillow, and the pillow up against the wall that was directly behind me. Suddenly these little hands were on my shoulders and they pushed me. If I had been standing upright, it would've been a motion of pushing me straight down. I sat up and looked around, but there was nothing and no plausable explanation.

~ One one occasion, I was going downstairs (we're on the third floor) to the laundry room (in the basement) and I had the most uncomfortable feeling of being watched. I went down, constantly looking around and listening, but I didn't hear or see anything or anyone. I went into the laundry room, and started my load of laundry, and then went up the front stairs so I could get my mail on my way. When I got to the front of the building, there was a notice tacked up on the wall that said one of our elderly residents in the apartment building had passed away. Immediately I felt this sense of calamity and relaxed completely. I think it was that I was receptive to her presence, but didn't recognize it. I'd never met the woman who had died before, and I wasn't sure who it was, which was why I was so uncomfortable. But once I learned that it was the presence of one of my neighbors, I spoke to her as comfortingly as I could -- I thanked her for coming to visit me and wished her well on her journey to the next life. Immediately her presence left me and I never felt it again.

~ When my father bought property and built our house on it, I was constantly terrified of the back yard. There was nothing wrong with the front yard, but the back yard never gave me good vibrations. There was definitely something evil back there, and both I and, I later discovered, my little brother, felt it. Whatever it was, we never played or even looked out the back yard windows. It was paralyzing. I still don't know what it is and I have no interest in finding out. The property is long since sold.

~ When I was very very young, I drove by a house in our rural community that had stood for many years. When I looked at this house this one particular time, I saw the roof of it completely burned off. I will go to my grave swearing by that, no matter what other people try to convince me. The roof of that house was completely burned off. The house had never suffered fire damage nor has it since, and the style of it has since also changed. But I am waiting (not hoping, I don't want to wish anyone harm) for someone to come to me and say, "You know what, you were right!".

Hmmm... I think those are all my stories. :smooch: has some to tell as well.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I have never lived in one and dont have any stories to tell but I think Nada took the cake... WOWWY! :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol :smooch: and I are little odd-balls. We thrive on that sort of stuff. We have been talking about buying a house and I said, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a nice haunted house somewhere?" His reply? "If we could only be so lucky." :laugh:

Oh, wait, I do have another one. :p

The year I finished high school I worked at a historic village where we dressed up in costume and told stories to tourists about the homes and buildings in the village. Well, there is <a href="http://museum.gov.ns.ca/sv/18.php">one house</a> that is said to be haunted (actually there are several, but this is the only one I experienced anything in) by it's first owner, John Cumminger. John doesn't like the way the house has been set up, and you can hear him thumping around upstairs, making his presence known. It sounds just like a man walking heavily across the floor -- thump, thump, thump. Of course, if you were to go up there it stops and there is no one there. But we always figured it was because he doesn't like the way his home has been redone.

Ironically, and I didn't actually think of this when I made this decision, this building is the scene for my first wedding to my ex. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
As far as I know, I've never lived in a haunted house. The only possibly supernatural experience I've ever had was when I was about 10 years old. During the summers my little brother and I would spend a couple of months with my greatgrandmother in a little town around Corpus Christi, Tx. She lived right outside of town and the area was very rural. My brother and I and a neighbor boy who was around 12 years old would often go hiking behind the pasture which was behind her house.

A couple miles away was an arroyo (dry creek) which we discovered one day. There weren't any homes for a couple of miles around. As we were walking down the middle of the creek bed, we suddenly began to hear the sound of faint sobbing. Once we came to a certain point, the sobbing suddenly became very loud and seemed to be coming from all around us. At first, it just gave me a very sad feeling and I wasn't really scared, but once we figured out that there was no explanation for what we were hearing, we became seriously freaked out and began running further down the arroyo. As we ran away, the sobbing suddenly stopped. It was a very strange but interesting experience and, to this day, I can still remember how sad it sounded and how I felt when I first heard it.

I know there's so much history to that area so I have always wondered about that lady and why she was so sad.

BTW, my DD LOVES anything having to do with ghosts and the supernatural also would be very happy to live in a haunted house.

--Michelle

·
4,028 Posts
My father was born with a cowl (sp?) and he always related the tales of his experiences with us. His whole family seemed to be sensitive to things. He, at the age of 5, would see visions of his family members (dead of course) watching him, and clocks stopped for him when relatives died. When at work he heard voices telling him to "get out" this is when he was welding in the hull of a ship. He grabbed his buddy to lead him out and after getting on the dock the hull sunk and filled with water. He has seen reflections in mirrors that were of a dead woman (she was the previous renter of the apartment and had been murdered). I've only experienced the rhythmic creaking chair in a corner with no window or draft present and the knowing of places I should not go into.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My mom always said the house that I grew up in had a ghost of an old man in it but I never saw/felt a thing. The house my sister lives in now is definately haunted (I know this is going to sound crazy LOL). She has trouble with the taps turning themselves on and off, she has actually stood there and watched he handles turn by themselves. The spare room in her house is really creepy. Twice I have been woken up because it felt like somebody sat on the bed. Also there is a radio she has that goes on and off by itself. She bought the house from an older couple and the man died in the house about a week before they moved in.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I believe my house is haunted. My father-in-law actually died in this house. I do not know which room he did in but I do not want to know. I think my husband knows but I tell him I do not want to know.
I feel that his presence is here. I hear the bedroom door close all the time and no one is near the door.
I also hear the rocker creek and no one is in it.
I have never seen him here but feel his presence at times.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only experience I've ever had of a ghost was when I worked at a dog kennel in town where I live about two years ago. I worked every other weekend there, usually alone and cared for the dogs that were boarding. One morning I was alone and was walking towards the back near empty kennels (the dogs were all further down by the doors). Out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman in a long dress walk past a door I had just come through. She was young and petite, with dark hair I believe. When I looked she was gone but I just had this feeling like "you didn't just imagine that."

Although not a "ghost" in the sense we're talking I have had a pretty scary run in with the devil too. I believe in God and the devil and one thing that God has blessed me with is dreams. I have vivid dreams, regularly, and can remember them well. Some of my dreams are meaningless, others are full of meaning. Some are from God and others come from the devil. One night I was sleeping in a hotel room with my fiance when I had the dream I'm about to tell you. In the dream I was asleep in the hotel room and this man came. He was a tall man with this horrible horrible voice that I can still hear clearly in my head. He was trying his best to kill me when I woke up. I sat up in bed, looked around. I saw my fiance lying in bed next to me and started to calm down and think that this was just a dream. Then I heard his voice again say "I'm still here." I was paralyzed with fear and he attempted to kill me again, but it wasn't working. I woke up, again - certain he was gone and that I was really awake this time. After I started to relax again I heard him say "I'm still here," once again and once again he attempted to kill me. Finally, I woke up for real this time. I was scared out of my mind - it was about 5 in the morning. I clung to my fiance like you wouldn't believe and I prayed and prayed. Eventually I fell asleep again...but that dream stayed with me for a long time.

Other times I will admittedly feel an evil presence around me. Sometimes I'm outside someplace (it's happened both at night and in bright sunshine) and other times I'm indoors in my nonhaunted home. When I feel that I pray for protection and then I can also just feel God's angels protecting me and forcing the demons or evil spirits away.

It's not all bad though. God has given me dreams about heaven and dreams that have portrayed meanings in something that has changed my life. I've felt God's angels around me at times when I didn't feel threatened at all.

Anyways, there's my two cents worth. I wouldn't want to live in a haunted house and I'll be perfectly content if I don't see anymore ghosts in my life, but i like hearing others stories, and I believe that they exist. I don't go hunting for them though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
thats actually one of the reasons we moved out of the rent house, i couldn't stand living ina haunted house anymore. they started on the first day we showed up to paint. both my husband and i would see things out of the corners of our eyes, but the longer we lived there the more active it got.

i was in bed one morning and heard a thump. i knew my husband wasn't home from work yet, so i sneeked into the kitchen and found a loaf of bread in the middle of the floor, about 5 feet from the bread cabinet.

youd be sitting on the couch watching tv and you could hear whispering, so we'd mute the tv, but you could never make out the words. just faint murmurs.

our cat would look at and hiss and fight 'nothing' before leaping in the air and run off and hide.

things would not be in the places where you left them.

but the event that made me tell my husband i wanted to move was late one night when i was at the computer down stairs in the den. it was about 11:30and i heard kids laughing, lots of kids. just a few minutes later all the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end and i just got this very creepy feeling. i turned around in my chair and saw this black shadow- not on the wall or the floor- but in mid air drifting off behind me. i screamed and run up the stairs and never went in the den at night again till we moved out.

my husband was in bed getting ready to go to sleep and thought he felt something lay down in bed with him. he thought it was odd that he hadn't heard me come in from work, so when he turned over expecting to see me-nothing was there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just moved in so I cant tell if its haunted yet , but i do have a handfull of odd events , when i was little at my grans I would see people walk around the house through a window tell my gran and she would open to door to look and no one would be there ,

when i was a tiny baby she told me how she had left me inside during a nap and when she came to check on me that all the windows and doors were locked fromn the outside

I would sometimes here the sound of balls rolling across the front porch of the house and i ran to go sleep with gran and she heard it too and thought maybe it was her eldest son come home to sleep of drinking , she told me not to worry , then we herd the front door open and close , heard footsteps walk right up to the door and then away from the door , she called out to see if it was my uncle and no one answered , she got up me holding onto her gown and checked the house , all the doors were locked and no one was there , she went and got joe and WE ALL slept in the same bed.

the one i have always remembered was being a tiny lil girl maybe 5 or 6 and it was christmas and i went to reach for my brothers walmart semi truck and another hand was reaching for it and touched mine at the same time , but it was just a hand a tiny pale hand witha ruffle , no BODY attached , i freaked out and refused to be anywhere near that truck for the longest time.

also bowls moved across tables a lot (all this in my grams house , she always belived me and she said it was because the house was hundreds of years old and had a memory)

latter when i was older gram was out on her yardsale hunts (a favored saturday passtime when times were much better) and i asked grandma if there wasnt another route because i didnt like the road we were on , and she asked me why and i said the road seemed like it was on pause , you could kinda imagine kids running and yelling and then screaming but it was like it was all on pause , so she took another road and she stopped and told me the story of how all of that land used to be where a gum factory was , and that i had described it like it was before the factory burned down..weirded me out a bit.

when i was older i tended to only have an ocassional sook here and there , a mover of items keys ect. The phantom kitty (you know when your asleep and you can feel a cat jump on the bed , that ever so light weight and jiggle) well i would feel that and suddenly remeber that i didnt have a cat (gram always had cats , so it felt natural for me) No cats where i lived , kinda freaked me out from time to time.

the last real encounter i had a few years ago very close to where i just moved , its along a creek , the entire creek if filled with native american tales and heritage , but i guess that plays a lil latter , i was walking up fro the creek and it had gotten pitch black (i was out too late) and so i barely inched my way through the path hoping not to fall and kill myself tripping over a rock and i see the faintest outline of someone coming near me and almost walking into me (it was a drunk guy) , i encountered a few more people , and i got farther down the path and i saw what looked like 4 or 5 people walking and it had gotten darker , i called out to make sure i didnt run into anyone , and the shadow got closer and closer till i stopped abrubptly thinking someone was going to crash into me , and it was no one , it walked straight through me and dissapeared off into the darkness , 2 others following in the same path , like they were completley oblivious to me , shadow people i thought , just shadow people , ghost who walked at night and didnt even know i was there.
Huh..weird , but theres my stories i have a few odd and end , but i dont think them quite ghpst..:D maybe latter

I am glad to know i'm not insane though i have seen the rush of cats thing the lil kitties who rush in the door and arnt really there

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Just the past week or so, I have had more odd stuff going on in my house.

I think I have told you about the cigarette smoke I can smell in the family room at certain times (NOBODY here smokes). Well, there's a couple of new wrinkles to the tale. The past few days, it seems like there's someone in the house when I walk in the door. My dogs and cats are there, but nobody else. However, I can feel a presence in the house.

Also, I too, have picked up a phantom cat. I have felt another cat on my bed off and on the past week. I have two cats but one of them was asleep with me and the other one will NOT sleep with me, so it wasn't him. Plus, this new "cat" is very light; Bandit (my big cat) weighs almost twenty pounds, so he feels like a DOG when he lands on the bed and walks around on it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I saw a man hanging from a rope in our front bedrm when I first bought this house, their wasn't anything there. That suicide had to have taken place when this house was being built, I could tell by the clothing and the house was unfinished. I have never seen anything else since and never had I experienced anything like that before. Mostly in this house I feel a contentment.
Sometimes I think we are more sensitive to 'ghosts' than other times, just as some people are more sensitive to 'ghosts' than other people. I would never say it is not true. I think we are all just 'wired' differently.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
As I've said in other threads I'm not sure what I believe and what I don't. I've definately felt odd things before. I have never felt as if the house I'm currently in might be haubted. However, I did live in an apartment once that made me run from it. If there are haunted houses I would think this one would have been one.

Facts only....and you can decide for yourselves:

~I rented an apartment in the basement of a house on Long Island
(Lots of old Native American burial grounds on Long Island...like in Amityville)

(It was set up so that when you came down the ouside steps and in the door you walked into a small kitchen area that opened up in the living room. And then had a bedroom and a bathroom.)

~My cat would not ever come out form under the bed unless she was sitting right with me and only in the living room. This was completely unlike her.

~Whenever I sat on my couch my back was to the door that came into the apartment and i always "felt" like someone was watching me so I covered the small glass window in the entrance door. It didn't help.

~When I was putting dishes away upon moving in the whole section of top cabinets (about 4 or 5) pulled down and out of the wall. a friend of mine came and put them back. He made lots of comments about how he didn't see how they could have come out of the wall anyway with where and how they had been put up. (from what he could see)

~Another friend of mine who supposedly has a developed 6th sense had come to visit just days after I moved in kept turning around to look at the kitchen while we were visiting in the living room. (I hadn't said anything to him about this stuff) Finally, after several times of this he said "You know they don't want you here right?" Of coarse I said "What??? , Who are you talking about??" He said "Those indian guys hanging out in you're kitchen by the door. They really don't want you here. They're really old and really powerful." He didn't stay much longer saying it was an unfriendly environment for him. I kinda laughed it off, but I didn't ever sleep real well there.

~About 2 weeks after being there I began to see a couple of roaches in the bathroom. I complained to the landlord as roaches and rats completely creep me. I become a parnoid idiot if i think they're around. I told him they needed delt with as they must have wandered down from upstairs. He said he didn't have roaches and if there were roaches i must have brought them with me.

~Over the next couple days I started finding them everywhere, and the arguements with my landlord increased.

~Four or Five days into the roach thing I got up determined that after work I'd bomb and tuff on whoever was upstairs. I got in the shower...,now I'm already in the shower mind you, and then the nozzle turns and the water starts shooting at the ceiling. I hopped out of the shower got dressed and made phone calls to move.

~After I moved my stuff out I bombed and took lots of pictures of the dead roaches. I had to take my landlord to court to get my two months depoit back. He had had a pest control company come out. The pest control company found a "huge infestation of roaches" but no nesting. They stated they had never seen anything like it and that it seemed unlikely that i could have even carried that many in, been there a few weeks and ther be no nesting. (I won although I've yet to see my money almost twenty years later)

***And to clarify....I had never had roaches to carry in and none left with me.

~My cat returned to normal after leaving as well.

I would say if anything has made me "open" to possibilites of the supernatural it was this apartment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts