Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid antique collector. I have lots of family heirlooms and my real passion is stoneware and quilts. I have lots of blue stone bowls and stone pickling crocks. My dh says our floors are going to fall in if I buy anymore crocks. I also have a large collection of quilts. Antiques tell such wonderful stories. And i also love the old kitchin cabinets, with chippy paint. The more primitive the better for me...Blessings...Kathy

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would love to own an antique pickling crock and I use it for its purpose. I make homemade pickles every summer and have always wanted one. I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for one. I love to browse antique shops just to look but rarely buy anything. I have a couple of pieces of furniture in my house that belonged to grandparents.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I, as well, love browsing at the antique stores. But I've never actually bought anything. Mostly I like to look at the furniture and hopefully one day will find something that will go with the rest of our stuff. The problem is that often the pieces I find seem to be in such a bad shape (the wood is "soft", if oyu know what I mean). Oh well, they're still so much fun to look at! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love antiques! I have a lot around my house - nothing very valuable though (unfortunately - lol) but I love the worn look - mostly I have transferware plates and pitchers; ironstone pitchers and platters; and linens with some other things mixed in. I love the old chippy furniture too - I'm going to remake a china hutch I have and paint it in that style - hope it comes out to my liking! I'm thinking of painting it black then have a reddish-brown crackle over it - might take a little trial and error to get the effect I want.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I love antiques too, especially the older bowls and enamelware pots and stuff, the new reproductions just arent the same, lol.

Anything primitive for me too!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I love to look at antiques. I have some old pieces that were given me but they are only about 65 years old. How old is antique? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We have two dressers that are over a 100 yrs old and I have some Carnival glass that was my grandfathers. DH and I love to go to antique shops and flea markets.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love antiques as well. I have a few pieces....my best piece being a 1901 Singer Sewing Macine with 4 Drawer Cabinet that is in MINT condition.....place I bought it from burnt down to the ground only a few months later.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of antique lovers here. An antique, from what I have been told, is anything over 50 years old. I love to go "junking". That is when I have found the best buys.

·
8,714 Posts
~I LOVE LOVE LOVE antiques! Antique shops, junk shops, yard sales, auctions, Antiques Roadshow, books about antiques...... Whenever we go to Lancaster I drag my bored-to-death DH into shops and wander for hours. I only ever buy jewelry(screw back earrings are so hard to find!). Although last time DH saw some green glass dessert bowls he liked so we bought a set of 4. Don't have the space or extra money to buy anything large but that's OK. A big part of liking antiques is getting to imagine, for a little while, that you're in another time. And that's FUN!~

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Oooo..pick ME to go antiquing with you! (jumping up and down). I love to go look at things and will very occasionally buy something little.

We have a lot of older things on our home. I am typing this on my computer...that is sitting on an antique roll top desk that belonged to DH's grandpa. The NEWEST piece of furniture in our bedroom (except for the bed frame) is about seventy five years old. I also have a lot of Depression glass and antique china and stemware.

I find that I prefer the older things. They are made better and last longer.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I like some antiques but I won't buy any since I don't know what to do with them or how to decorate so it will look nice. I'd have a victorian looking livingroom and a 50's style kitchen, for example. Then my office would be disco deco. Ever been in a house like that? That's why I don't dare do any of it and stick to plain and neutral.

I did go wild and paint my bathroom walls a dark purple called GRAPE. What was I thinking? It IS different.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes yes yes!!!! too bad I can't afford them !

·
Registered
737 Posts
I like some antiques. Like rocking chairs, doll cradles or book shelves. I still have my doll cradle from when I was a little kid. I don't know if you would consider it antique. It's missing a pillow that goes along with it but it's in excellent condition and it's at least 20 years old.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I love antiquing. I don't actually have a lot of things in my house but I do have:
~ vintage blue/white dishes
~ 1930's-40's era juice glasses
~ some milk bottles (probably 1930's as well)
~ old books
~ a few miscellaneous kitchen items (like canisters)

Most everything I have right now I use. I'm not really a "victorian" type antiquer as much as "retro" (1930's-40's-50's).

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I love antiques and at one time helped my sister who is an antiques dealer...I don't have many of my own, most of my stuff is vintage...My treadle machine is an antique..

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have them, love them , use them. I dont care for modern things.I like to day dream about what something use to be , where is came from and who owned it. I like to think that my things willl be passed on one day. I mostly love to use antique cook wear. I think a pot thats been used a thousand times makes better soup!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I love them. I have a few in my house but nothing very valuable. The things that I love are the antiques that have been used and loved by generations that have come before us. I prefer things that have been used as opposed to those in pristine condition :) .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love many different types of antiques. I have several pieces of oak furniture,I don't think any of them are 100 years old. I would guess that most all of my things are vintage,less than 100 years old.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I love to look at antiques----and as Ann said,---- think about the people who lived 100 years ago or more (my favorite is REALLY old) and used it.

DH :smooch: bought me 4 old (1900-1930) tea-kettles (not tea pots, these are the stove top kettles) cause I'm crazy about them. Make a nice display on top my cupboards with a couple of vintage canning jars, etc....

But I'm content just to SEE old things in stores and barn sales. I don't have to own it all. I'm not much for clutter.

OH--I DO have a treadle sewing machine up here at our cabin---no electricity here. Plus I learned to sew on a treadle. Oh, now I'm feeling old.... :ugh: But hey--it was my grandma's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts