Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you do with what you freeze/can? I'd love to pick some, but am not sure I could use enough of them. My inlaws went picking and gave us tons one year and I couldn't come up with enough things to make with them.
I do like pancakes, muffins, and blueberry buckle type things.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I don't care for blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are my thing...... If you could get a great deal of them for free, I would consider freezing them and making pies or jams to give as gifts for the holidays.... dehydrate them for muffins and pancakes, bags of dried berries would be great in themselves for gifts ...
dry the less perfect ones for adding to potpourri .......

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I've never picked bluberries....always wanted to,cause it sounded like fun LOL
There;s a place here you can go to,but I don't know what they charge. I don't care for eating them plain,but I can handle them in pancakes and muffins.
My aunt has 2 blueberry bushes and I believe they make jelly (or jam-whatever you prefer to call it lol)
Now I wanna go picking...Thanks a lot Sara :D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Sara, as a kid we used to eat them (fresh picked) with a little sugar and milk for breakfast or dessert or on our cereal in the morning. Mom always canned them and I think we just ate them in the juice for dessert (Mom didn't bake too much :D ) but you can use canned or frozen for pies, cobblers, muffins etc. You do need to drain canned ones for the cobblers and muffins.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
We use to pick them all the time when we lived in northern Ontario. Here they are really hard to find.

I always made jam with them and froze the rest. I love taking a handful of frozen blueberries and eating them. For me, I think they taste better when they are froze.

I love blueberries though - they are one of my favorite foods. They are very high in vitamins and they are one of the cancer fighting foods. They are excellant for you!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
We're going picking this weekend, so keep those ideas coming.

I'd love to hear how to make jam and can them though. Anyone? I've never done either before.

·
27,948 Posts
I just freeze them in ziplocks and use for the next year in pancakes & muffins. I love it because I have to do nothing except put them in a freezer bag, lay flat & freeze.Berry,berry easy.;)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Darlene you are just so punny today :laugh:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Darlene said:
I just freeze them in ziplocks and use for the next year in pancakes & muffins. I love it because I have to do nothing except put them in a freezer bag, lay flat & freeze.Berry,berry easy.;)
Funny, too funny...I needed a little laff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts