Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker of mine told that he uses a reloadable gas giftcard to budget for gas.
So my question for is, does anyone here already do this?

I was thinking about doing this for 'emergency'.
My plan: everytime I pump gas at my fav gas station, I will add another $20 to the giftcard.

Your opinion on this?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If I had gas stations that had gift cards here I would do it. Would be wonderful for me as I go two months without pay a year.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
My daughter uses one for the Gate station. You load it and use it. She also gets 3 cents a gallon cheaper than their normal price. The station is comparable to the other stations too. Within a penney either way.

Also the grocery stores and stores like Dollar General sell gas cards to for a set price....$25 and $50. Here it's usually Shell and BP. Probably differ in different areas as far as the stations. If your grocery sells restaurant gift cards there's probably station cards there too if you look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love this! When I was still working, I would used a reloadable gas gift card to budget my gas $$. When the $$ was gone for the week, I don't go out anywhere besides work. This also helped me stay away from temptations - such as going inside to buy snacks or drinks since the card was ONLY good for gas! I shall do this again when I start working again. And I supposed this concept could work well for budgeting grocery too. Go to my favorite grocery store, insert X amount in for the week or month. When the $$ is gone, it's gone. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never heard of a gas gift card, one that you could load. I wonder how you find one? This would be good because I can't use cash as I usually have my 3 tiny kids in the car.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
My dh does this & he also gets points so he get free stuff when he buys so much gas. I like it cause he gets my gas for me also!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do it at the Murphy gas station at WalMart. I load my card in WM (get points on my credit card) then use the card at the gas station & get 3 cents off my gas. Since this is a WalMart gift card it can be used inside WM for anything else, but I don't. The particular card I reload is an orange one with a picture of a gas pump on it, so I know that's all I use it for. Pay the credit card off in full monthly.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
no but I do use the kmart coupons for speedway and the point system Kroger has. We get out prescriptions there too for more points. DH got .90 off the gallon for a whole fillup.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I buy the gift cards from Safeway when they have 2X to 4X the points and buy my gas at Arco and then when I have $1 off a gallon and an empty tank fill up at a Safeway gas station which is usually cheaper but I do not have one close by.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This would be a great idea...I wish I had thought of it. I have a set amount that I budget for gas each month, and if it's on an gift card, there's no chance of going over. I'll really have to think about if a drive somewhere is worth the gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts