Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Sure. Lost some money. No big deal, it'll be back. NO market has lost money over a 10 year period yet.

DJIA 10613.79 +248.34 +2.40%
• NASDAQ 2037.58 +53.85 +2.71%
• S&P 500 1141.43 +35.01 +3.16%

Don't panic. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dh did even though I told him not to. We lost $6,000 in the space of a few hours. Oh well, we are still young and in it for the long haul. (I have to keep reminding myself of this!) For some reason I think things will level out just gotta hang in there.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I bet my inlaws got a shock when the TSX fell 840 points here yesterday.

The last time the market did something remotely close to that, they lost 90k in a week. It did rebound, however, and they got their money back. That was when it lost something like 500 points.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not me. why bother, it is what it is.
I'm more focused on my debt.
We are debt free but a small mortgage so we are focusing on retirement and a year EF

All I can say is WOW!!! I'm sure in will rebound. We have 17 years until we plan to retire if possible.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Don't...want...to...look.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Nope. The market is very cylical. While my 401k may have lost some value today, I did not lose any money as I did not cash anything out. The market will rebound and so will my 401k.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
No. Sigh.

Won't do any good now to peek. I do have faith that the market will come back and that I'll get some deals.

I had my 403b for quite some time, and during that time, we went thru a couple of major recessions. I just held on, and made it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
don't have one so answer is not me..

·
Registered
966 Posts
We each have a 401K and a Roth IRA. Last spring I moved them over to money market & treasury bond funds. We worked hard for that money, and we'd rather see it earn nothing for a while than lose lots of it. I learned a little from previous bear markets. We'd like to retire someday!

Did anyone else here move their money? I read somewhere that this will be an issue also... with the middle class sitting on their money, I guess the fat cats of Wall St will be in even more trouble.

·
Registered
900 Posts
We each have a 401K and a Roth IRA. Last spring I moved them over to money market & treasury bond funds. We worked hard for that money, and we'd rather see it earn nothing for a while than lose lots of it. I learned a little from previous bear markets. We'd like to retire someday!

Did anyone else here move their money? I read somewhere that this will be an issue also... with the middle class sitting on their money, I guess the fat cats of Wall St will be in even more trouble.
Ours was moved for us due to unemployment. I think it was a wise move on your part, mikandmari. You should never invest more than you are willing to lose. Our entire retirement fund is more than I would be willing to risk.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I'm a sahm, so I don't have one, but dh does. We checked last week and he lost over $20,000. A few months ago, he was thrilled when he made over $38,000 in a few days.

G

·
Don't peek. Trust me!

I did and saw the 18K down........ and am having to convince my self that the #'s are not real.

My only fear is what if things drop again when it's time for us to retire?
I guess you move things over during up times?
Thats so far away,I'm trying not to think about it.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Nope, it's not going to change anything....besides, we are in it for the long haul, not the near future.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hubby looked but I didn't ask. One thing we did change was the percent going in. We were putting in 22% but dropped that to the 6% that is matched.

Right now for about 6 months I would like to build up more of a cash cushion bc of some expenses coming up. Then I'm thinking of opening a Roth instead of putting the money back into the 401k. I think that would be better but still have to look into the benefits of one over the other.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts