Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can recommend wholesome TV shows aside from Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, and Andy Griffith .

I just can't bring myself to watch the vast majority of what is on TV today...even many of the commercials are inappropriate...

I hadn't watched Waltons until just a few months ago (hadn't had the opportunity...library got them on DVD, though! Woo-hoo!). I wondered if there's anything else out there I'm missing out on. :)

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I still wish the Little House on the Prarie was on, that was a great show about families and doing what had to be done. I dont even know if there are any shows on today like those. It's a shame too, we really need those types of shows these days. :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
When I am up at night I watch Nick @ Nite and they have The Cosby Show and Growing Pains reruns some nights. I also watch Everybody Loves Raymond reruns in the evening.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Family Matters (with Steve Urkel) was a great one -- you always learned a lesson, and at times it was pretty funny. Seventh Heaven is another good one. Road to Avonlea is a Canadian show about families living in the Village of Avonlea in Colonial PEI -- it is based on the books by Lucy Maud Montgomery (the author of "Ann of Green Gables"). Though I've never watched it, I hear Gilmore Girls is good. And I liked Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye -- she's an agent with the FBI, but she's deaf. She usually has a very positive, spirited persona. Then there's Mysterious Ways, where a university professor, a skeptical doctor and a very monotone scientist study unexplained things that happen in their local community. It's usually got a good story and a happy, positive outcome where someone learns a lesson about themselves. And of course there's Touched By an Angel, a classic feel-good show.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I miss having shows like Andy Griffith. We always watched Gomer Pyle, USMC, too. And for laughs, I always enjoy I Love Lucy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I liked the show Doc that had Billy Ray Cyrus as a doctor. I dunno if they show it anymore though.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't forget Leave It to Beaver.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Though I've never watched it, I hear Gilmore Girls is good. .
It is good. It's about a mother who had a daughter very young and has basically raised her alone, with the help of her overbearing and rich parents. The two are very close, more like sisters than mother and daughter. It depends on your definition of wholesome... the daughter does live with her boyfriend (or she did when last I watched it a few weeks ago) and sometimes people don't get along... much like real life... but they keep it pretty clean. The show never gets sexual or uses foul language-- I leave it on if my 4 year-old is in the room.

I like to watch old "I Love Lucy" reruns, too. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Green Acres was an awesome show. I also love to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition...classic feel-good show.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Funny that you brought this subject up. We just received the VHS series of Dr. Quinn from the library and have been watching them when the family has a chance. We kive these, and had just discussed how there is really no qulaity family shows on the television anymore. We also, like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, (we bought this cheap, VHS). We get a great portion of our family entertainment from the local library.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
One of my favorite older shows is Sandford and Son, but I don't know if it'd be as wholesome as some. He's basically another version of Archie Bunker, and they both can be pretty vile at times. But the show is hilarious and I love the running jokes (i.e. his glasses in the drawer, his fake heart attacks, his "artharitis") which always seem funny.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I like the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Leave it to Beaver, Bewitched and the Brady Bunch.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
gilligan's island!!

mork and mindy

dr quinn medicine woman

murder she wrote

agatha christie

pbs shows like

colonial house or the like.

ummmmm

·
Registered
674 Posts
Missy,

Is the Colonial House still on? I loved it but I have not seen it on PBS for some time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I am busy doing work at home I'll leave on Full House for my dad or Animal Planet during the day is safe. It is hard to find stuff sometimes to watch with him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
OMG, I've been craving some little house on the prairie!!! I found the box set but its $200...EEK. We dont have TV so what we watch is on the net, but its so hard to find the good old shows. But I know of about 10 websites that have every episode of Beauty and the Geek...:(

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oh, I forgot nature shows! I loooooove nature shows. I wish I got Animal Planet and National Geographic Channel. I'm counting the days until PBS Nature and Canadian Geographic come back on this summer. Other than that, I pretty much switch between TLC and HGTV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts