Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am actually not Catholic in the least, but who here will be participating in Lent? And what are you giving up?

My freshman year I went to a Catholic school and because I had friends doing Lent, I gave up something too. I think it was coffee.

I still like the idea of doing without something for 40 days, even with no religious attachments. I think it's cleansing and builds discipline.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I also do this we have always used this as a time to make some changes. so we are giving up the evil debit card and i am going to try to drink more water (i know that is not giving up something)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm giving up nothing this year.
Its not just Catholic faith that does this. ( our church does also )

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I've been reading a lot on this the last few days... I'll hav a post later in my spiritual blog.

Anyways, one of the interesting concepts I've been reading about is adding something, rather than giving up something. I'm thinking of adding more Bible study... haven't decided for sure yet.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
This year I am going to complete the Purpose Driven Life in 40 days

·
Registered
213 Posts
Every year I try to give up work or school, but I'm never able to follow through!

(I realize this is a serious topic, but I just can't resist a little religious humor!)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every year I try to give up work or school, but I'm never able to follow through!

(I realize this is a serious topic, but I just can't resist a little religious humor!)
I don't think humor is inappropriate. I found it amusing :laugh:

Also, I like your username.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My husband and children are Catholic. He is not really giving up anything but is doing more prayer and reading. The kids, I haven't heard anything. What we do in our house is to have meatless Weds. and Fri. until Easter. We also have a donation box for operation ricebowl. I try to increase our donations to charities during Lent. This means that somewhere in the budget, we give up things so we can donate more.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I've been reading a lot on this the last few days... I'll hav a post later in my spiritual blog.

Anyways, one of the interesting concepts I've been reading about is adding something, rather than giving up something. I'm thinking of adding more Bible study... haven't decided for sure yet.

HAven't necessarily done any reading on this but I will be "technically" adding something instead of giving up something. The way I look at it is that you are giving up something (ie time, money, talent) to do whatever you've decided to do. If you tutor at the local elementary school, work at the soup kitchen, etc. I will be forcing some kind of excersize on myself for 15 minutes every day. (I guess this would fall in that giving up chocolate category) and I'm going to do something for someone I wouldn't normally do for twice a week. (annonomous baked goodies for a stessed co-worker, mow lawn for neighboor, those kind of things...I'm not talking about the good friend at the office or the nice neighboor...I'm talking about maybe the peolpe we just wave at and go on with our lives or somneone we haven't encountered before )

·
Registered
708 Posts
Lutherans do Lent too..... :wave: :D

I'll be both giving up my BitTorrent (sigh...:() and adding in exercising for a half hour every day. :bolt:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm giving up chocolate. I grew up Baptist and we didn't do Lent but I have several friends who are Catholic so I do it to support them. Plus I think it's a neat idea, it build discipline which is something I need to work on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This time around, my family is foregoing restaurant meals & spontaneous purchases to increase our tithe. The general idea is that we re-focus our efforts from serving ourselves to serving others; otherwise, it's purposeless deprivation. (I'm Lutheran, so deprivation without the component of helping others is unthinkable.) Lent is the most important time of the church year for us; it's a time of spiritual and physical discipline. Our family takes it very seriously. We pray more fervently, attend worship more frequently (Wednesday, too), and donate our time & money to assisting those in need. It's a period of sadness & grief and a time to look deeply into our hearts, but also a time of great hope because we know the end of the story and look forward with joy to the promise fulfilled in Easter.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I'm intrigued by the concept of Lent. I'm becoming very intrigued by the Catholic religon here lately. I love routine/stability and I think that having that in religion could work very well for me.

Think if I give up cooking my husband would go for it?

In all seriousness, I am going to attempt to scale back my t.v. time and use more time reading books, etc.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have not really given anything up the past few year and then was just talking about this at work. A coworker said he was encouraging his daughters to, if they could not give up something, work harder or improve themselves elsewhere. I am giving up chocolate. I desperately need to lose a few pounds and chocolate is my weakness when I am stressed. So overall it will be good for me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm Lutheran (LCMS) and even went to Lutheran school for 12 years. We celebrated the church season of Lent, but I had never heard of giving up something during Lent until college when I met Catholics for the first time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last year I gave up pizza and my husband begged me not to do that again, he even offered to buy my favorite pizza tonight for dinner if I would give up something else (it's his favorite, too).
So, instead I am not eating between meals and praying everytime I would like a snack.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts