Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of years ago I landed on an Internet forum where a young man said he was very hungry, but had no food or money. He asked if he should go to the grocery store and steal food. Surprisingly a number of responders told him yes! I was appalled he thought he had to resort to this in order to eat. There are a lot of people out there who are unaware of different resources available to them. Maybe it is something you could never imagine needing or resorting to, but there are lots of bad situations people find themselves in where they desperately need a solution.

I posted about diaper banks, and a number of people scoffed at people who would use the service, but you don't know people's situations. A diaper bank might be a lifesaver for a young, single mother with no money whose daycare center refuses to take cloth diapers. Or her local laundromat might forbid her to wash cloth diapers there, and she doesn't have the money to keep feeding the washer and dryer, let alone keep buying detergent anyways.Who is going to watch her baby while she keeps traipsing to the laundromat with heavy waterlogged diapers? People in financial hardship can't always operate the way we see fit, because their circumstances might be very different from ours. So when I see a resource that I think could help someone I simply post it. These are the sorts of things people in financial hardship might need.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Internet thread I referred to in my original post, where the young man was considering stealing for food, can be found by going to Google and typing in the search box, " I have no money or food in my house". It is on an IGN forum dated 6/24/13. There is some foul language in the thread.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
People in financial hardship can't always operate the way we see fit, because their circumstances might be very different from ours. So when I see a resource that I think could help someone I simply post it. These are the sorts of things people in financial hardship might need.
Thank you for posting resources.

People might not always agree on the need for those resources, but I think we need to be able to have open discussions about it so that we can educate others and share ideas in a mature fashion.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I encourage you to keep posting resources that you feel are important. There are only a few of us who post on this forum and lots who don't. I just checked and there was 678 guests on here so you are reaching a lot of people with your posts.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
One thing I have learned, in volunteering at a food shelf, is not to judge other people's situations. And not to judge other people by YOUR standards. Just because you can hold down a job and manage your finances, not everyone can. For a number of reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts