Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
~Absolutely it's a tactic to get you to spend money you weren't planning to spend but you can outsmart them.
DH and I shopped this morning for four items that have been our list for over a year. Since we'd been watching prices for along time we knew what prices were worth getting up early for.
Our budget for the 4 items we bought was $400. This is what I'd planned to spend when I found quality items/preferred style and colors on a "good" sale.
We paid $257, tax included, for the four items this morning.
Original retail value was $514 so our saving rate was 50% for things that are hard to get 50% off of.
We picked up a 14' trampoline with enclosure, Clek booster seat, 2 stainless steel frypans and a King down alternative comforter.
Like I said, you can beat them at their game.~

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
After looking at the news this AM, I can see one reason is to avoid the gunshots and pepper spraying.

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
After looking at the news this AM, I can see one reason is to avoid the gunshots and pepper spraying.
I was just thinking the SAME THING..........and now there ARE EVEN MORE REASONS.... = ....more incidents.

IT IS CRAZY OUT THERE!!!

One 'news report' had called it "competitive shopping"........what???

I think it is a bit more than that!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
I usually don't shop on Black Friday, but I wanted to take advantage of a sale at Joann's. It was good for two or three days, but today was the most convenient time to go. It's just across the street, so no traffic to contend with, and though Joann's was busy, you can hardly describe that crowd as competitive shopping. Knitters and quilters are a pretty placid group. I got a great deal on some yarn, and it was a quick in and out, so it's not the typical Black Friday experience we think of. Would I have bought it except for the sale? No. But when I find prices like that, it's worth it to add to the stash.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
you can also shop online and avoid that

I agree with nuisance one can over come the ad game sale pitch physiological factors after all those things are common place in the grocery market and shopping center not just on Black Friday.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I did the midnight shopping once and once only. I enjoy my sleep too much, and hate standing in the cold too much to do it again.

But I did take advantage of joann.com sale yesterday. Their Big Shot machine was half price, and so were the embossing folders to use in it. And..... free shipping! Now that beats standing in line in the cold any day!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't do the whole huge crowd thing well to begin with. To me most of the time the savings are not worth the migrane that I get from the large pushy crowds. :( I will do small local shops that are usually not so crowded. But even that isn't until later in the day when most of the huge rush of people is over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never done a Black Friday sale. I don't think i could handle the crowds and the way people act. So no big box stores made any money from me today!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I shopped online. On ebay and amazon. Got great deals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have any money to Christmas gift shop, but I wouldn't if I could. People are going nuts shooting etc year round, I wouldn't want to be in a stampeding store crowd when somebody gets "upset". It's bad enough on the roads.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think it's a shame the way it is now, it's kind of scary! I usually only hit drug stores on Black Friday now (did not do that until 7 o'clock last night and walked out only with outside lights, not even on sale!).

I do agree somewhat with the pshycology behind it, there has been several occasions where I went in for only a few things and came out with a lot more!

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Dh & I always go... We have our list of needs and wants and stick to it! :) We both enjoy the excitement of it.

We picked up Christmas gifts for a fraction of the price!! :D (Yes, all off our list).

And hey, we even got free coffee and donuts at one store. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did the Black Friday thing. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the buying and bought more than I needed. Still, it wasn't too crazy at any of the shops I went to. But yesterday (Saturday) I went with my family to a big shopping mall on the other coast, and it was just craziness. I've never seen such rampant consumerism.

I went along because I needed a new jacket, and we were going by Burlington Coat Factory in the mall. Upon entering the store, it looked like a tornado had hit. Boxes and bags everywhere, coats lying on the floor where people had discarded them. Hundreds of people scurrying around like crazed ants, their arms bulging with piles of stuff. I saw three separate cases of moms holding a small child in one arm, a pile of stuff in the other arm, and a stroller full of bags in front of them that no child would fit in. People were walking the mall with suitcases full of stuff. It blew me away. I almost turned around and asked to leave, but I did eventually find a jacket. It was originally $250, but we got it for $100. Still, I will not be doing that again. Next year, I think I'm just going to donate to charity in people's name, or handmake all of my gifts. It's not worth the chaos.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Black Friday sales are starting to creep in up here and it just disgusts me. I am all for saving money, but that much headache and stress is not worth the saved money.

I started my shopping last night and planned to avoid any stores on Friday here, regardless of whether they do the sales or not. I like to make sure that my holiday season doesn't overlap another holiday and as such, our shopping began last night... well away from Thanksgiving.

I agree on avoiding the psychology of the whole thing if you go in with a list and are smart about what you get. It would be nice if everyone else did the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts