Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I'm technically due tomorrow based on my last period. My last child came 3 days late. My OB (new as I have moved 2000 km away from my former home) has me scheduled to go to have prostaglandin gel put on my cervix tomorrow (I am 2 cm dilated and ~50% effaced) to see if I will go into labour. When I questioned waiting a week before being induced, she brought up that she will not do that because I am 35! This is my healthiest pregnancy yet! It is the first one that I have been gluten free for and I have been able to gain weight and have no swelling or problems walking, blood pressure issues, etc. She also sent me for an extra unnecessary ultrasound, but the upside was that I found out we are having a boy after 3 girls! This 35 thing has me miffed a bit especially since I am a scientist turned SAHM and it is typical for one of my former colleagues to have their first child after age 35! Sorry to rant.

On the upside, if all goes well, we will have a new baby boy at some point this weekend - from what I have read, it may take 24-48 hours for me to go into labour. I really do not want to have to be induced! Also, I;m a bot paranoid due to there having been MRSA in the deluvery unit lately and 9 (possibly 10) babies have been colonized with it! Please pray for a safe delivery for Benjamin Christopher.

Thanks - Amanda

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your in my thoughts and prayers, please let us know when the baby gets here!

·
8,714 Posts
~So you were a scientist and you don't know why you must be induced because you're 35? Well that's probably because there is no valid reason and they want you to have your baby on their schedule. Every doctor, nurse and midwife I saw during my two pregnancies tried to control my deliveries. I had both my kids in December so I don't know if the holiday rush has something to do with it or not. It's very frustrating telling a host of medical 'professionals' what you want to do over and over again. They really wear you down emotionally until you start questioning your own research and judgment. Here's a list of Indications for Inducing Labor from the ACOG:

Medical Indications For Inducing Labor

* High blood pressure
* Premature rupture of the membranes
* Maternal infection or medical problems, such as diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, or chronic pulmonary disease
* Suspected fetal jeopardy
* Fetal death
* Severe blood incompatibility
* Severe pre-eclampsia or toxemia
* Postdate pregnancy, where there is a proven danger to the baby

Source: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists

I don't see "maternal age" on there. Your Doctor should give you a real reason that you should do this. He/she should care enough about your trust in them to help you understand the benefits or risks of a certain recommended procedure. If you don't want an induction say so! I had to fight everyone to wait out my first pregnancy that ran 2 weeks past my due date and even harder with my second delivery. I told everyone from the first day that I would be having a vaginal delivery after cesarean(first labor ended in a c). My doctor agreed to this until one week before my due date when he realized that I was never going to agree to his plans for my delivery and dropped me as his patient. I got my way and my dd was born naturally a week after her due date.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you a healthy baby!!~

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks nuisance26! I think I will check out the Canadian OB/GYN site for this info as well and take it with me tomorrow. I want to at least wait until several days past 40 weeks before being induced! I have gained 31 lbs, the baby is moving lots, my blood pressure is 100/58, no premature rupture (reason I was induced first two), I'm B+ so no blood issues, and no-preeclampsia! Therefore no reason!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That seems wrong to me that you hit the magical age of 35 and that's what concerns them. I could understand health issues, but you aren't having any. I am 30 and pregnant with my first baby. The only way I would want to be induced is if there is a medical reason, that goes for me at 30 or in 5 years if we have more children. I agree with you, it seems like the baby should wait until it's ready to be born.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well, I've got to agree with nuisance. They can't make you do it. If you're fine and the baby's fine it's just their convenience or fear of lawsuits. I had my last baby at 44. Trust me, I had to do lots of heel digging. At any rate, congrats on that new little man to be.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The baby came on Friday with just the gel - no Pitocin required! He is Benjamin Christopher and weighed in at 6 lbs 9 ozs (my others have ranged from 6 lbs 2 ozs - 6 lbs 10 ozs). He is healthy and doing well.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Congrads on the new little one........ Glad everything went well.
Fern

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
:congrats: on the new little one. Glad both of you are doing so well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope you and your baby get plenty of rest.

SInce your baby was born pretty close to Christmas I'll share and idea a saw last week.

It was a picture of a baby in a little Christmas stocking. You could also do a santa hat as well.

I'm due in March so my baby will be too big for a stocking picture next Christmas.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The baby is great! He sleeps for a 6 hour stretch at night (after cluster feeding for the evening). My sleep is being interrupted more by the teething 2-year old. As for the Christmas stocking, we have done this with each child (the largest was `12lbs at the time). My hubby's aunt knitted a huge stocking for each of our kids (we received Ben's on Friday) and we have pics of the babies in their stockings - I just have to find them all (one of this year's projects).

·
Registered
109 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your new baby boy! Happy to hear all is well...

Anna (who learned that 35 is considered "advanced maternal age" when a friend saw "elderly gravida" on her medical chart...Sheesh!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope you and your baby get plenty of rest.

SInce your baby was born pretty close to Christmas I'll share and idea a saw last week.

It was a picture of a baby in a little Christmas stocking. You could also do a santa hat as well.

I'm due in March so my baby will be too big for a stocking picture next Christmas.
Oooooh! But how about a pic of your new little one in a basket, with soft bunny ears (on a hat, perhaps), surrounded by Easter eggs, jellybeans, and a chocolate bunny?

Anna (43 years old, was born in March - - and whose Mama has a pic of baby Anna in such an Easter pose...at a couple of weeks of age, not recently! ;) )

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Congratulations! I'm glad everyone is doing well :).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Not necessarily! My DH's grandma made DS a giant stocking last year to hold all his presents instead of her wrapping them. This year (today actually!) we'll be taking his christmas picture with him standing inside the stocking! He's going to be 3 in february.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts