Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to call WIC this morning because I miscarried this weekend. They said that I can continue to have WIC for another 6 months. I think it's strange. I know you are allowed to continue it after you have a baby but I never thought about being able to keep it after a miscarriage. I do have to take them something from the doctor or hospital. I have my discharge paper from the ER that says I had a miscarriage and that should work. I also had to call my OB and they will call me back about when I need to go in there for a check-up.

We are thinking about trying (well, not actively trying but not trying to stop it) getting pregnant again in a few months. So, this will help because of the milk, eggs, juice, and cheese that we would get. This also really helps the grocery budget.

Anyway, do you think it's odd that someone can keep WIC for 6 months after a miscarriage?

·
8,714 Posts
~I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I didn't know WIC extended benefits after a miscarriage but it makes sense to me. Your body will need alot of nutrients to recover and prepare for any future pregnancies.~

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'm so sorry, Donna. :(

As far as WIC is concerned, that does seem odd. I'd just tell them that you're not interested in the 6 month extension of benefits.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sympathies to your loss...

I do find that it is odd from a taxpayer point of view. But since the regular benefits continue for the mother post-partum for a period of time, they cannot deny you benefits, since you are now "post-partum".

·
Registered
922 Posts
Donna,

I am so sorry for you and your family with this loss.....please take care of yourself. I will be thinking of you.

Warm Regards,
leezza

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss..... will be thinking of you.....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I worked for WIC for 10 years. It is indeed policy to allow mom's who have had a miscarriage 6 months of a post-partum package. Your body needs to heal and nutritious foods help. Again, I know what it is like and you have all my sympathies.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am sorry for your loss but I used to work for WIC. Yes, you can continue receiving WIC because your body needs it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. This is such a difficult experience because many don't understand what a loss it can be. I didn't know this benefit was offered but I do understand it as your body needs nutrition to heal. If you can't afford to buy the things your body needs right now then accept the help.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am sorry about your miscarriage. As for WIC it does seem odd, but not really. We qualified for WIC in 1998 when we had our 3rd child. She was born in July 1998, in October of 1998 I called them to tell them my husband got a raise. His raise put us above their income limits. They continued to give my daughter her WIC checks until she turned one, at the one year anniversary of her being on WIC is when she had to be recertified. So could be in 6-months is when your situation would have been looked at to see if you still qualified.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Donna, so sorry to hear about this weekend.....

as for WIC, we have had 3 short stints on it....the last one was when my hubby lost his job. When he got his new job, I told WIC, and they told me that I would still be getting my checks for the next 6 months.....and then I would have to re-qualify again...which of course, we wouldn;t cause he got a new job....weird, huh?

·
4,028 Posts
Hugs to you and your family. I would accept the WIC for the extra nutrients that your body will need.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.I guess it does make sense to continue wic if you need for just yourself.especially nowadays with things so high if they want to continue it accept it if you will use it. take care of yourself

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. I will go ahead and continue getting it - we do still qualify income wise. We are going to "try" after a few more months but not go to dr's or anything, we just won't stop it if it does happen. I talked to the diabetes nurse today and I am gonna start taking the long lasting insulin again (went off it Sat afternoon after the miscarriage). She said it's best to have a good A1C (less than 7.0) before trying. So, that would be waiting like 2 months.

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts and condolences. I do feel like the OB/GYN is pushing to get rid of me though. Their nurse said today that I need to get back with my regular dr about everything. They are gonna see me next week to check to make sure everything came out ok and then I guess they don't wanna see me anymore. I just feel that's too fast, heck I miscarried only 4 days ago.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, Donna. :hugz:

·
Registered
30 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I am glad help like this is available for you! Hopefully with your doctor's aoproval and a healthy diet you will be able to try again soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts