Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...just thought I would share what I got this month at WIC. I encourage those of you who qualify to go sign up with WIC. For those of you who think it is hard to do or confusing, I disagree and don't know how we would afford all the stuff they give us every month. This month I got:

A total of 7 1/2 gallons of milk
A total of 5 bottles of juice (64oz)
A total of 4 dozon eggs
A total of 4 lbs cheese
A total of 8 cans of Enfamil
A total of 72 oz cereal or oatmeal
1 jar peanut butter

And...this month I got $20 in checks to use at a local Farmer's Market for fresh fruits and vegetables!

Being on WIC has been well worth it for us!

Jodi
SAHM to Cole and Madison

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
That is awesome! I would have loved to get WIC for the milk and Farmers Market stuff alone!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That is great that WIC is helping you and your family out greatly!! :)

That is great that WIC is helping you and your family out greatly!! :)
WIC helped my family and I out at one time when we really needed the help as well!! :)

G

·
I heartily agree!! We get WIC, and the money it saves on formula alone is amazing!!! We don't have to pay for milk, cereal, formula, juice, cheese, peanut butter, or eggs. I love WIC, it makes being frugal a whole lot easier.

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
I am hoping my daughter will be able to get WIC. Lets keep our fingers crossed..

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I hate to show my ignorance here, but what is WIC?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It is a government funded program that gives needed families free milk, cheese, formula, other food items. It really is an excellent program and has literally helped hundreds of thousands of families out in times of need. (The count I am sure is in the millions by now. WIC has been around for many, many years).

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
:bump:

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
We found out Jenn makes too much money by 40.00 a month to qualify. Its gonna be tough :(

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Oh Deb... that stinks!
We get wic as well and it sure helps.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We've never qualified. I was working when I had my ds and I was running a home business when I had my dd. But I am very happy that the program exists. Some young children wouldn't get to eat without it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
debbiepete: if her paycheck ever changes, make sure she calls the WIC office again. and she may want to check again next year in case they increase the income level. children are eligable for Wic until their 5th birthday.
and for those that haven't been on WIC before but are thinking about it, WIC covers the mother while she is pregnant and for so many months after the baby is born if you breast feed. you still get formula for the baby if you are breast feeding. i kept it in the pantry until i stopped breastfeeding. i had enough to fill in the gaps when dd was going through a growth spurt and drank more formula than the WIC checks paid for.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
WIC is for pregnant women and children under 5. So, if your child is under 5, check them out. It is well worth it. I had WIC with my oldest son. I was glad to get any help I could.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts