Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory: My wife has a rather extended family. I'm guessing her father thought there wasn't a large enough population in North-Eastern Colorado, or was concerned about Social Security, and decided he was going to do something about it himself. As he was trying to produce his own baby boomer situation, my wife's birth mother must have thought a competition to do the same was in order. Ultimately, this resulted in somewhere around 8 divorces, an abundance of half-siblings, and more Aunts, Uncles and cousins than you can stick a shake at.

Presentstory: During 2008-2010 this same family kept the health care industry in business. Brother was in the hospital at 30 with a failing heart. Father was in the hospital twice for a failing heart. Stepmother was in the hospital twice for strokes, once for bronchitis, and an extended stay for other respiratory issues including a collapsed lung. She's currently in the hospital, not sure if it's strokes or seizures. Birth mother is in and out of surgery for cartilage and joint/bone issues, although we feel the surgeon is seeing a paycheck when she walks in because he has started in on my wife's sister too.
Grandma fell and broke her hip, which created concern because it apparently damaged a tumor or other cancerous growth. Things are still up in the air with that one. Great Aunt just died Tuesday, I'm not sure the cause, yet. She was pretty old and ready, so at least that's better than it could have been. One of her Grandpa's died a couple years ago, old and bitter, causing familial strife due to a poor will.
Someone else lost a baby to SIDS. Another Grandma was diagnosed with diabetes. Another brother was told to quit drinking, or else he was going to be living an incredibly short life. At least it seems he did quit, so that's good.
The wife, herself, was diagnosed with Celiac disease last year. A major life change, but overall she seems to be healthier than before diagnosis.

Futurestory: I'm hoping that my wife will be the Blue Moon to her family's otherwise awful Coors products.

Does anyone else have a Blue Moon hidden between a bunch of Coors Light?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, my family hasn't had any issues. I think that everyone alive when I was born is still alive and healthy, minus one great Aunt that died of old age, somewhere around 98 years old. My great Uncle is on his last legs, old age again, but is still sticking around because it makes his wife happy.

Maybe my family's health will transfer over to my wife, and she won't follow in her family's sketchy health footsteps.

·
27,948 Posts
Lol about the Blue Moon & Coors. I guess I'm the Blue Moon in my family and hope your dw is too. Hubby's side of the family lives forever and although there are heart probs, exercise and regular check ups keep them well for the most part. My side has the cancer & diabetes & suicides. I've outlived both my parents & have only 2 out of 4 siblings alive. No grandparents alive, last one died in the 1980's. I think what has helped me and will also be your wife's saving grace is the way we chose to live our lives. I could do better with diet & exercise sure but I think my happy outlook on life helps keep me ticking along. A good marriage is a major bonus to her all around good health too so yes you play a huge part in her health.
Here's to many more happy, healthy years for all of us. :thumb:

Reactions: Missy

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Backstory: My wife has a rather extended family. I'm guessing her father thought there wasn't a large enough population in North-Eastern Colorado, or was concerned about Social Security, and decided he was going to do something about it himself. As he was trying to produce his own baby boomer situation, my wife's birth mother must have thought a competition to do the same was in order. Ultimately, this resulted in somewhere around 8 divorces, an abundance of half-siblings, and more Aunts, Uncles and cousins than you can stick a shake at.

Presentstory: During 2008-2010 this same family kept the health care industry in business. Brother was in the hospital at 30 with a failing heart. Father was in the hospital twice for a failing heart. Stepmother was in the hospital twice for strokes, once for bronchitis, and an extended stay for other respiratory issues including a collapsed lung. She's currently in the hospital, not sure if it's strokes or seizures. Birth mother is in and out of surgery for cartilage and joint/bone issues, although we feel the surgeon is seeing a paycheck when she walks in because he has started in on my wife's sister too.
Grandma fell and broke her hip, which created concern because it apparently damaged a tumor or other cancerous growth. Things are still up in the air with that one. Great Aunt just died Tuesday, I'm not sure the cause, yet. She was pretty old and ready, so at least that's better than it could have been. One of her Grandpa's died a couple years ago, old and bitter, causing familial strife due to a poor will.
Someone else lost a baby to SIDS. Another Grandma was diagnosed with diabetes. Another brother was told to quit drinking, or else he was going to be living an incredibly short life. At least it seems he did quit, so that's good.
The wife, herself, was diagnosed with Celiac disease last year. A major life change, but overall she seems to be healthier than before diagnosis.
------------------------------------------------------------

LOL To me this read just like a cousin of mine's annual 'Christmas' letter. :swave: I can just picture it now. Sorry, just my weird sense of humor. No harm intended.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My dad beat the odds by living past the age of 62. He is 66 now. On his side of the family, half of the men seemed to die young enough that their wives remarried and had more children. Most died before age 62. Diabetes, obesity, and who knows what else. We don't know in most cases. Of course, after many years of searching, I discovered that one of the youngest ones to die was lynched and shot to death after a fight in which the other guy got hurt, not killed. So I guess bad temper :mad: could be added to causes of death.

My mom's side of the family is chock full of 80 and 90 year olds. We'll see which side of the family I take after.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Well, this is kind of unrelated but I really think my husband has celiac disease. He doesn't want to get tested for it though and he doesn't want to give up his favorite foods. When he's on shore duty I'm hoping to do a gluten free trial on him just like we did with my kids. We're both worried about what it would do to his career though.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
You know my mother died at 59 her 4 sibling are in their late 70's and late 60's. Her mother was 77 yos. My dad died at 65 his mother out lived him. She was 92. She out lived her only child. I blame the Drs in ND. He complained about losing weight and the only thiing the Dr said was eat more food. He was DX with lung cancer Nov1 and died Nov 2.I'm 54 never smoked, did drugs and never drank. my health is in the toilet. I have copd which is caused from smoking. Point is even if you do everything right you can still end up with something life threatening

Fern

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well put fern.

my mom who has stage 4 ovarain cancer tries to tell me how to live...we dont get along. she was always "on me" about being a bit chubby, smoking, etc...well, i am completely and totally healthy at 40...she on the other hand has always been a nasty, mean, O/C person, dieted, walked, quit smoking, swears that eating blueberries daily for brkfst is an answer to health issues....goes to show ya, no one knows except the man upstairs...live and let live. one never knows what is in store. just dont pass judgement on others while walking thru life.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Lets see on my moms side most lived to be 80 or so. My mother passed in July and she was 78. Now my dads side his mother died at the age of 22 (childbirth) that was on the 1920's. My dad is 86 and still walks a mile a day. His maternal grandmother was 102 when she died.His paternal grandma caught fire in her 50's. His paternal grandpa was 78 when his last child was born and he had 28 kids. He died at age 86. My dads side has alot of kidney issues where my mom side had cancer.Its kind strange but Me my sister and my dad have the same blood type we all have the same medical problems where my other sibblings have my moms blood type and have no medical issues .

·
Registered
618 Posts
OP: sound's like a lot of undiagnosed celiac leading to other health issues in your wife's family. Your wife will be much healthier following a GF diet. Her family is very much like mine. I am much healthier in my late 30s than I was even just 6 years ago. I follow a GF diet as well.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear. Well, not all the familial problems people have, but that she may be the one that can stay out of the hospital, at least as a patient.

Well, this is kind of unrelated but I really think my husband has celiac disease. He doesn't want to get tested for it though and he doesn't want to give up his favorite foods. When he's on shore duty I'm hoping to do a gluten free trial on him just like we did with my kids. We're both worried about what it would do to his career though.
It's can be a tough choice, even though it really shouldn't, health or career? It was a huge change for her, but she seems better for the change. It was difficult for me, too, as I changed food at the house to make her life a bit simpler. We'll see what happens once we have kids.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Well my mom died at the age of 56 she had throat cancer then it went to her brain. She drank & smoked. My dad died at age of 39 he had an accident at work. My mom raised 11 kids alone. She died when I was 18. I took care of her when she had cancer along with my older sister.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I am adopted so I have only a very sketchy health history. I think I have a clean slate to work with, and no excuses. I take the best care of myself that I can. I exercise, try to eat a healthy and balanced diet, work at keeping my life as stress free as possible and have a positive and cheerful outlook on life.So far my health appears to be so much better than others my age.So many seem to be overweight, they complain of joint and back pain, they can't walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. And they all talk about how old,sick, and worn out they are. At 50???????? I may get sick and die tomorrow, but you know what? I did the best I could and I tried. I like that better than saying that I should have done more, but now it is too late.The only advice I can give you is to work at maintaining your health and purchase life insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.