Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wild onions are now out in abundance in our fields. They're at their best, young and tender. They taste like a cross between chives and green onions. I use them in soups, stews, casseroles and sauces and put them on pasta/potato/green salads.

Just wondering, does anyone else look forward to these in the spring?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've noticed they must be in lots of yards because when you drive around town you'll notice the smell of fresh-cut grass AND onions.

Must-Stash, have you ever tried transplanting them into pots or your garden? There are some in the undeveloped property behind us. Maybe I'll move some to the garden.

I'm using "winter" onions right now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grainlady, no, I've never tried potting them. It's an excellent idea though. I'd love to have them growing indoors as an herb. I will give that a try.

We have many acres of fields that never have pesticides/herbecides on them and where they are safe from being mowed down so I don't put them in the garden. I'm almost certain they would grow in pots on my deck. The indoor kitchen herb application is the one that I'm excited to try now. Thank you for the idea.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You both are lucky. I have never seen these (I don't think) but I would definately put some in a planter or my garden if I ever came across some. A cross between chives and green onions sounds wonderful. Of course, regular onions can become a little overwhelming.

Maybe we have them down here in Central Florida and I have just never paid attention to them. Need to keep my eyes open.

Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts