Frugal Village Forums banner

Will Feed Stores Close Their Doors?

852 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  suki 
#1 ·
I went yesterday & purchased 200 lbs of feed for my rabbits- that will last us 2 months. I have been keeping record of the price increase of feed in my "bunny log" and this time last year, I was paying $31.90 for #200 - yesterday I paid $46 for the same brand & weight. The owner was truly sick over all of the feed costs & confided in me that they had to drop all of the other brands of rabbit feed b/c they were just too expensive & that the brand that I have always bought from them was the only one that they will be selling. I call every now & then to check what the prices are - about 2 weeks ago a #50 bag of rabbit feed was $11.30 - yesterday it was $11.50 & the owner told me that its going to jump again next month.
If this trend keeps up, I am beginning to wonder if the feed stores will have to go out of business. I hate to think like this, but I cannot help to wonder about it. what are your thoughts?

#2 ·
I've noticed a jump in the cost of my scratch grains and layer crumbles as well. I think unless there are a lot of other stores in the immediate area competing for your dollar they will stay open.

After all, where else am I/you going to buy our feed? Unless lots of farm folks downsize their herds/flocks I think we are over a barrel. I took my flock down to less than half and intend to take a few more out. I had too becasue the feed cost was just too much.So over all I am paying less than last year. It was my only option.

#6 ·
I recall in the 70's when we had a dairy farm and due to the Russian grain embargo feed prices skyrocketed. We couldn't make enough off the milk we were selling to purchase the feed for the cows.

We sold the cows. The feed store is still here.

As long as there is livestock in an area, there will be a feed store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.