Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the TV news last night and saw people frantically trying to buy fuel at 75c/ litre.  It was a special promo.  Fuel here is now between $1.20 - $1.30 a litre (US$3.95 gall).  While they waited in the queue a reporter interviewed some people and one man said it normally cost him around $370 a week to fill his SUV!  A woman said it cost her $250 a week for her 6 cyl. family sedan.

The reporter asked the man if he would consider downsizing his car due to the price of fuel. He said he wouldn't - it took him 20 years to get to the level of car he was driving and he wouldn't think of going backwards. 

I was amazed that anyone would think like that.  Why would anyone be prepared to pay that much for fuel?  I don't get it.  I drive a 4 cyl. station wagon.  I can fill up, even now, for less than $30.  That tank will keep me going for 500 kms (310 miles).

Would you consider downsizing your car if the fuel prices stay high?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think in the short-run, no we won't downsize. But if these prices become constant, I think we will definitely consider it.

We live 35 km from where Dh works so it really affects our fuel budget. The only good thing is that he does carpool so the car stays stationary when the other person is driving.

Being in a small town, I walk the kids to school and all their activities. The benefits of walking are endless and then we are also conserving fuel.

I guess we will see what happens in the next little while.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Funny you should ask, because with baby #3 on the way, we actually have to go bigger with dh's car because you can't fit 3 carseats in his truck. We will be going used and as cheap as possible, but can't go smaller.

Luckily for us, I teach and the children's daycares are all within 5 miles of our home, so not much gas is used there. Rob works approximately 25 miles away from home, so he's really the only gas guzzler. My impending maternity leave will also be beneficial with regards to gas usage in our family, at least for a few months.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Honestly, no. I bought my first car (a Honda) in 1989 and kept it until I got this minivan in 2003. I really enjoy the benefits of a minivan, even though it gets half the mileage my Honda got. I also financed my van brand new, so I'm not sure it would be economically sound to get rid of it. My part here will be to reduce my gasoline usage with fewer and fewer trips. I plan to keep this vehicle about as long as I kept the last one (14yrs). At that time, the kids will be nearly grown and I'll downsize again. So I guess I'm thinking more of long term conservation. If I get rid of this van for a smaller car, would I be contributing to vehicles sitting around taking up precious land? I don't know. But no, I'm just going to REALLY restrict my driving.

Good thread! :)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well, we just DID buy a small car and one of the primary reasons was because of the fuel economy of the car. Would we sell the other car and replace it with a smaller car? I don't know. The fuel efficiency is about 7 MPG less than the smaller car, and the bigger car is the top-rated for safety in its category by Consumer Reports, which is why we bought that one. It is the car that DD is primarily in, and I don't really feel safe with her in a smaller car given that I have to take her in the car 40 miles 3 days a week.... But we do try to only drive it when we have her in it now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I already have a small car. A 92 Mazda Protege. It gets about 35 mpg. I used to own a Ford Festiva (ever seen one), and it used to get 40 or more. LOL. I can't go any smaller.

I was going to look into getting a bigger car,, but I think I'll stay with what I have for now.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm with Amy. We need a minivan soon with the fig coming into the world. We're fortunate that Gabe's job is 2 miles away and everything we need is within a mile or two. Gas prices rising is still an increased expense for us, but not bad since our required driving isn't far from home. Can't do a smaller car though.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
nope, we couldn't even consider it...we have only 1 vehicle(12 passenger van) and every seat is filled...except for one..........hehe

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I cant go smaller because the minivan fits all of us.Steve drives a 99 toyota 4x4 and Ashley has a 98 Honda Civic...She doesnt have her license yet so Steve is driving her car to save on gas for now.
We cant downsize my vehicle and there is noway Steve will sell his truck (it's not too too bad on gas,and he doesnt work to far from home but he wont sell it lol),but he doesnt mind driving hers for now.

There's a guy he works with that lives on our road. I have said sooo many times they should carpool,but so far,they're not. I dont see why.....It's stupid not to.The guy lives maybe a mile from us,they work in the same dept,the same hours....It's really bugging me that he wont ask Dewayne to carpool.They'd both be saving money :bang:

·
Registered
139 Posts
YES!!! We have a toyota echo now and are a one car family but will drop down to a prius or a hybrid honda civic when the time come to buy a newer car. I my view it is the only responsible thing to do if you can managew a smaller vehicle. Oil is finite...of course I will drop our fuel uses frist and formost for frugal reasons.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
No we won't even consider it. With 2 guys over 6'2" tall, a smaller car just isn't feasible. Maybe once the kids are gone then we will think about it.

We have a 7 passenger van and many times its been full.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
No. We have a mid-sized SUV that rarely gets driven. Our main vehicle is a minivan. With hurricane season taking up 6 months of the year here and thus presenting us with the possibility of having to evacuate, something smaller would not do for loading up 3 people, soon to be 4, 3 large dogs, and a cat.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I can't speak for Melody, but she and I each just got vans because of our #3 kiddos needing room for carseats. I know we won't be downsizing cars, there wouldnt be any room for anything or anyone in a smaller vehicle. Dh was teasing me saying he might get me a vespa with a trailer hitch (for the kids to hitch up a cart to, LOL). I can see me now....

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes! In fact today, my husband knocked on a door to see if the person wanted to sell their car. He said he was going to put it out for sale tomorrow. It's an older used car, but it does get better gas mileage. We'll get it in a few days.

·
27,948 Posts
We've been talking about itand my car died the other day & is at the shop to see if it's fixable or junkable.:( Dh wants a five speed, I've never driven a standard and not sure how well I could do driving it.:dis:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not at the moment. I would definitely consider it right now, but dh says to wait and see. Imo, I don't think it will get much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LAST NIGHT WE BOUGHT A 1990 TOYOTA CORROLLA FROM OUR NEIGHBORS....IT LOOKS LIKE ITS BEEN THROUGH THE CRASH UP DERBY....BUT HUBBY DRIVES 60 MILES A DAY FOR WORK SO THIS WILL BE MORE ECONOMICAL THAT HIS BIG OL TRUCK THAT GUZZLES.......

MICHELLE

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I already drive a '95 Geo Prism, so I'm in the compact world. I too had a Ford Festiva and I wouldn't want to go that small again, unless everyone else was driving a car just as small. I felt like I was driving a lawn mower on the expressway. It was a little scary at times. I don't mind driving a smaller car, but I don't plan on buying a different one for a long time. My dh has a Jeep, and I like having a larger car to haul things with, plus he uses it for work.

I'd like to have one of the mini SUV's though; still thinking about it for the future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nope, I don't care how much gas goes up not going smaller. We need a bigger "van" anyway with the kids.
We did have a "smaller" car but, then someone was not paying attention and slammed 8000lbs. directly on me(as in dead on the left side of my body). So no more cars.
I know some people are ok with cars and that is fine but, we won't go that way ever again!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts