Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok so I'm sick of paying full price for toothpaste and deodorant! Despite my best efforts to simply cut down on personal care and cleaning products, it is not good enough. And my hair is stringy from dollar store shampoo!

I made a list of the products we typically buy, and searched the couponmom coupon database - and did find several - but most of them are found in the inserts.

I had canceled my Sunday newspaper subscription a while back because I was not using the coupons before they expired and I felt it was a waste of money.

How essential is the Sunday paper? do you think I have a chance of saving money with alternative coupon sources?

I am wary of investing a lot of time and money into couponing since I have failed in the past, and feel it increased my spending.

Any advice? Thanks!

I read be Becentsable last night, and have read the coupon mom ebook in the past.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'd say it's very essential to get a Sunday paper for the coupons! I get about 80% of mine there and then 20% online. I buy colgate toothpaste it's usually on sale at Krogers and I usually have a $1 coupon or 75 cents off really helps. Deodorant I just got at the $ store on sale for $1.5o just look for sales and buy there. Check CVS & walgreens flyers also and Kmart too!

Reactions: gmarie

·
Registered
62 Posts
gmarie...i'm a total coupon novice and at least for me i've found it's a bit more complex than it sounds!!! i feel like i'm taking it in phases....i'm mostly in the "have some coupons in purse and carry them around with me" phase....there needs to be more thought and planning on my part for sure. i think you have a great idea to focus on a subset of couponing - personal care and cleaning products - so you get a chance to hone those skills before taking on the entire store! wishing you luck!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
How essential is the Sunday paper? do you think I have a chance of saving money with alternative coupon sources?
I find I save money buying only the coupons I use rather than getting the Sunday newspaper. Some of the coupon websites require a minimum order of $3.00, which is a lot of coupons, but I found at least one that doesn't require a minimum purchase. Also, you can buy in multiples of 20 or 10 coupons on Ebay. I don't find many coupons for things I buy, but if there is a good coupon, I buy several of the same item (ideally combined with a good sale). If you are going to use many coupons that are in the newspapers, it may be worth buying the paper. Also, there are many internet coupons for the same ones that come in the coupon inserts.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I use the Sunday paper, generally find it's worth price, but I usually sneak a peak at 'Sunday Coupon Preview' (google it) to assess if it's worth it that week or not- lists all coupons coming out, please remember it varies slightly area to area. I also sometimes use a coupon clipping service- look up 'coupon clippers' BUT there is a $4 minimum, so it's not worth it unless I'm buying a bunch!

The trick to couponing is planning and organizing- you need a binder or coupon organizer (I do NOT use a binder, some do, too much for me). You need to match up your coupons to that week's sales at the drugstore or grocer's to maximize savings, and it helps to keep a binder to see what the 'sale cycles' are are products you use often so you can 'stockpile' and buy a bunch on sale with coupons to get the lowest possible price. It takes practice, like anything else, but every little bit you do is $ saved that stays in your pocket instead of the stores! I'm no 'expert' couponer, I consider myself 'mid level', and it's been well worth it.

I just picked up a 'coupon Mom' book from the library today- her latest, can't remember the title exactly, but you may wish to check out your local library to pick up a book or two on the best way to go about couponing. It's SO worth it...I spend 1-2 hours a week clipping, looking online, matching up to circulars/making a list, and last year I save over $1k...and we're not some of those folks with 3000 rolls of tp or 1000 bottles of body wash- we have a nice stash, but not obscene...check out the 'Coupon challenge' under 'challenges' in these forums....joining's a great motivation to track your savings, which keeps you motivated!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can use websites such as afullcup.com and spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed.com that do all the work for you and tell you what is on sale and what coupons to use..these sites are both broken down into each store catergory..both of these sites are FREE......NEVER pay one of those sites to do couponing for you....hth

·
Registered
323 Posts
afullcup dot com

spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed dot com

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find I save money buying only the coupons I use rather than getting the Sunday newspaper. Some of the coupon websites require a minimum order of $3.00, which is a lot of coupons, but I found at least one that doesn't require a minimum purchase. Also, you can buy in multiples of 20 or 10 coupons on Ebay. I don't find many coupons for things I buy, but if there is a good coupon, I buy several of the same item (ideally combined with a good sale). If you are going to use many coupons that are in the newspapers, it may be worth buying the paper. Also, there are many internet coupons for the same ones that come in the coupon inserts.
thank you!!
Can you recommend websites to buy coupons?
Has anyone tried coupon trading?

It just seems that if 98% of the coupons in the sunday paper are useless to me, there has got to be a better way to get coupons that I will use!

I did find a coupon for arm & hammer litter by going to their website! I've been trying others with no luck -but have been signing up for their info/ newsletters, etc in the hopes that I will get coupons!

I was getting my Sunday newspaper for only $1/ week which is next to nothing - but the $4.33 charges and expired coupons were starting to pile up!

Also, I have found that shopping monthly saves me a lot of time and money. If I were couponing, wouldn't I have to shop weekly to take advantage of the best deals?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I can make a suggestion about shampoo. I currently use a children's shampoo from WalMart: Suave Kids 2 in 1 Smoothers Shampoo in Cowabunga Coconut. It does have conditioner in it so if you need a shampoo without conditioner, other Suave shampoos will fill the bill. I only have to shampoo once with it. I love it and I save on conditioner.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Actually gmarie, manufacturer's websites are a GREAT place to find free printable coupons! Don't forget to watch for 'tear pads' and blinkies with coupons in the stores themselves...even if I'm not buying the item that day, I'll take a few for future use if it's a product we use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to couponing too and would like to go through a coupon service to stock up on some things. How do you know ahead of time what will be on sale the following week so you can order the coupons for it? This is the part of the planning process I can't seem to figure out. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rookie couponing mistake this morning...gawd i was SO close to doing this right! have coupon for Ziploc baggies, we NEED ziploc baggies (use them for both fridge and freezer) so i grab a box of each and my other items and head to the cashier....actually remember to GIVE her my coupon,thinking ha go me, i've got this DOWN. but everytime she tries to swipe the coupon it's a no go...she reads the fine print, $1.00 off for 2 boxes any kind, yup i got two boxes any kind, swipes it again, no go...starts to call her manager over and then realizes...

the coupon is for ZIPLOC brand and i have Hefty brand ZIPLOCS. such a dork. i would have switched but we find the Hefty ones to be of better quality etc. at least there was a 15 cent off sticker ON the box...

so evidently you have to be able to READ to make a go of this couponing thing. sigh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey.
Don't give up.
I'm not a master yet. But I think I will be.
Read "How to Shop for Free" and the book by the Coupon Mom - can't think of name. I'm really liking the 1st one. It's a little more humorous; lighter read. Got both from my local library.

I've learned a lot in just a week of reading. My husband told me I had to cut our grocery bill in half in order to stay home with the kids-- so I'm on a mission. But I've made some big changes just since Jan. 1. Starting to shop at Aldi for better prices on things like pasta, rice, froz foods. Today bought fresh chicken. Hope we like it, cause it was a good price.

So far, I've learned you have to treat couponing like a hobby. One thing that was helpful in the How to shop for free book... it said to try to stockpile only a few things first. So for you, it seems you've already narrowed it down to at least two. So focus on those two items and combine the coupons you find with stores that will give you cash back or store coupon rewards (CVS is good for that; just got $2 on next purchase coupon today; and Walgreen's --earned $9 back---technically they aren't giving me anything; it's already mine but its kind of like it's in reserve. THis is something I never thought of until reading it explained in that book this week. Before this week, I used to throw away those coupons that print on the bottom of my receipt or those that come out of the register after my receipt).

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I agree.

While it may take more time, I do think you get more benefit by shopping the weekly deals.

I use a divided box with a handle to store my coupons. Sorted by category. The box goes in the store with me - so if I find a great deal on a clearance item, I've got my coupon box with me - I never have one of those "oh dang, I left my coupons at home" moments.

Also, I use SmartSource for printables, as well as the RedPlum site.

Coupons | Online Coupons

Printable Grocery Coupons - RedPlum.com

If I have to buy my papers, I get 5 at a time, Sunday paper, $1 each. So, at the max, I spend $5/week - this is budgeted for.

Lately, I've gotten lucky enough to get inserts for free, with no paper - but I'll still get 4-5 inserts. Saves $5/week - but either way, I'm ok with it, because it's in the budget.

I stock up when it's on sale. Toothpaste will always go on sale, and if you are patient, you'll get it for free or less than $1.

My personal goal is to never spend more than $1 on anything besides meat/milk/pet food.

I use couponmom.com as well as SouthernSavers.com.

Coupons, Grocery Coupons, Printable Coupons, Restaurant Coupons, Coupon Codes

Southern Savers (for the southern states)

Also, I like Mojosavings.com Your source for the hottest coupons, free samples, grocery coupons, savings, discounts and deals.

it took months to get the stockpile that I have.
Now that I have it, I'll never pay over $1 for any soap, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, etc.

I do realize that sometimes I buy things that I don't "need" - like today, I bought blistex lip balm because it was such a great deal - that's my weakness..... (a great deal, not lip balm) LOL.

I have also found that by couponing, I am in a position to HELP others more so than before couponing.

I have enough for myself, so I can share with others.

Example: I do pet rescue type work, so I go to this family's house to help with the DOG. I talked to them, realized that they didn't have much coming in but disability, so when I brought the dog home from the vet appt - I had gone home, filled a reuseable bag full of groceries, and took it with me to drop off the dog. Point is: I didn't even notice the dent in the pantry - so not only do we help ourselves, but we enable ourselves to help others as well.

THAT is what couponing means to me.

good luck!!

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo Bumplett - appreciate reading your post.

I think it's important to relate couponing to your own personal lifestyle. I rarely use the coupons in the paper, but the Sunday paper has the Walgreens and CVS ads - and those I do check out - very carefully.

I just started using a CVS card a few months ago - and just earned $16 coupon from my fall spending. I can see where this is really going to work out fine!!

We need to be doing some more stockpiling so I'll be working on that next too!!

Good luck and tell us how it all works out for you.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm not as good as some of you guys getting the most of my coupons but I manage still to save some money each week doing what I can. I figure even a few dollars saved is to the good !

·
Registered
53 Posts
I refuse to pay full price for toothpaste or toothbrushes. I try to get these things as close to free as possible. Even if I don't have a coupon and I find them as a cheap price I buy it. I only stockpile what my family of four can use in 6 months so I am careful to check expiration dates and but what we need.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.