Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a little early..put 2022 but realized 2023 is almost here!

Share your challenges or goals ..your sale finds! We all like a great discount shelf find.

or is rotating though your freezer or pantry? use it before it is bad.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well stocked up w delivery freezer and pantry full plus some sales. So unless it is something that needs replacing like frozen fries don't need to shop for a while. except fresh stuff like fruit, bread etc plus shopped last couple of days for things we needed . dh is getting milk etc. today.

put together a paper bag full for food bank (some things don't use like minute rice I got so donate right away) spaghetti sauce, rice, instant coffee, bag of whole bean coffee someone gave dh we aren't going to use, bag of oatmeal, and other things I don't remember but useful stuff. not expired or anything.

can't remember if some of the stuff I posted before.. pack of dry pasta, freezer..pack of chicken thighs, homemade sauce, a lb of hamburger, hotdogs, reg stuff like yogurt, bread, cheese etc. cookies, ice cream, chips..... veggie tray.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Making a list and checking it twice... I've got a bunch of pantry items that will take a while to get through, but I put a check mark next to them when I use some, cross it off when it's gone. I have an embarrassment of riches, I need to find ways to pull it together to make meals and use it.

Pantry:
miso soup packets
ramen noodles
raisins
brown rice
vanilla pudding mix
pho soup mix
spicy tuna
dry red beans
cashew pieces
jar pickles
canned black beans
coconut milk
dates
dried fruit - mixed
steel cut oats
cheesecake mix
almond flour
barley
cookie mix (ginger)
spring roll wraps
orzo pasta (rice shape)
olive oil
almond butter
black olives
cheese powder
wild rice
bacon dip mix
whole almonds
lentils
red bean paste

Freezer:
tilapia filet (1)
turkey breast
shredded chicken (1/2 lb)
kibbe
breakfast sausg crumbles
pork dumplings
hot tamales
butternut squash portion
pumpkin (1 cup)
chicken salad
peas
pea pods
bread heels+l/o cornbread for stuffing
l/o fajita meat
pesto
sweet potato fries
smoked pork
queso fresco
cheesy polenta
cauliflower rice
spring rolls (2)
spanikopita
blueberry muffins
cupcakes
puff pastry
filo
tomato sauce
walnuts

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woo better then me! could say I would make a list but no lol of course I have tons of somethings cus like ramen kids were eating it a lot ..get a bunch on great deal they stop. I do have all the basic stuff pasta sauce, dry pasta, beans,canned soup, tomatoes, variety of meats. cake/dessert mixes. canned meat. dry season mixes etc.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm trying to get items on deep discount at this point. Some to replenish and others to stockpile.
I searched the clearance aisle and found rice chex cereals for $2, store brand rice krispy/corn flake $2. DH got half gallon ice cream ( breyers ) for $2.99. Chicken thighs $1.29/lb, cooked bacon $3.50/box.
We're working through the frozen beef and have been eating pasta once a week (we are not usually pasta fans so this is a lot).

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Used up 1 packet of ramen last night and killed the box of spring rolls. Will use some black bean paste tonight, for some reason I have 2 open jars.

Picked up several bags of clearance chips and snacks this month. They are short-dated but will be fine for a couple more months. Shouldn't need to buy any more for a while, either. Going to avoid buying holiday candy and treats, we've been given enough as gifts already.

· Registered
52 Posts
I've very well stocked up on food now that I did a big shopping trip yesterday. My goal is to have an empty fridge (except for condiments) before we go on a big three-week vacation in March. I probably won't make much of a dent in my frozen foods before then, but they should be okay.
I found a couple of great deals. Bags of marshmallows at 50 cents each. I got four, and some store-brand crispy rice cereal so I can make the bars that I love. Also, a gallon of milk discounted at $1.62, but I need to use it up quickly.

· Moderator aka AmyBob
13,578 Posts
I've been struggling whether I should be spending December eating through my fridge and freezer and pantry or if I should be stocking up. I've decided that if I see sales on things that are too good to pass up, I will definitely stock up on those items, and I'm stocking up on other, smaller items that I don't want to be without in case of severe weather when we can't get to the store, like soup. But we have way too much in our pantry for my grocery bill to be as high as it is. And DS18 just came home from college with all the snacks that he didn't eat, so that makes it even a little easier to not buy certain things. :)

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thinking Amy is if it is a great deal and you would be saving money getting it and will use it then stock up. Esp if it is practical stuff. My dd just came home w big can of hot choc and candy canes. I said we had candy canes from last year lol hidden in cold closet. which reminds me if I have a bunch of choc and candy last year hidden. There is going to be a lot of candy this xmas.

well have shopped so stocked on veggies, fruit, cat food etc. bought dinner rotissere chicken, frozen fries and veggies that day for easy dinner. need more milk , creamo will get tonight. apparently we were out of hot choc hence dd shopping cus her and dh drink it everyday now. did pick up peppermint mocha international delight.

used hamburger helper, lb of hamburger, bread,cheese, milk etc hotdogs, buns, rest of the garden tomatoes, the formentioned fries etc. pack of tortenilli and rose sauce. peanut sauce , moldy peppers gone. plus old cook in a bag bags into recycling.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Amy, I'm going to try and get through the end of the year with no more big grocery bills. I've planned out the next 2 weeks, and I think I can do it, only buying fresh milk and vegs. The rest will come out of freezer or pantry. It's going to be extremely cold next week, so I've planned several soup dinners.

I have been buying butter, because it seems to be cheapest this time of year. (on sale $2.99) Was surprised by a sale on bacon this week, and it's flat and easy to squeeze into the freezer so I got a few. There is an ad for $1 carrots on Monday, I plan to get a bag or two, use them in everything. And I hope that is it.

· Moderator aka AmyBob
13,578 Posts
DS11 has been having S'mores for dessert every night, and we were out of graham crackers. But, before going grocery shopping, I organized the pantry and found a box in the back. So, I crossed that off the list. Only one item, but it helped, since DH offered to make his grandmother's lasagna and sauce and meatballs this year for Christmas, which meant I had to buy 6 pounds of ground beef on Sunday. No not buying groceries for the last two weeks here!

· Registered
13,526 Posts
The home-made bars taste sooo much better than the manufactured ones, too. I can't be trusted near a pan of them.

Used the last of the cauliflower rice. Added several cans of green beans to the stockpile.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
added fancy bread, scones and fruit to the pile. plus creamo cus life without coffee... a choc pie half off

the pizza is gone, chicken soup used up, bread, rest of a long english cuke. 4 chicken cordon bleus some rice. box of cookies. the baked goodies that came home w dh.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lots of things with ham this week. and got a big bag of cutup broccoli on sale that I need to do something with..ham broccoli and cheese soup?

used scalloped potatoes, pillsbury cinnamon rolls/crescent rolls, can of corn, chicken breasts, peppers, broccoli, carrots, bread, milk, coffee etc. cranberry juice, apple juice, frozen lemonade. smokies, hotdogs, frozen mac n cheese, cookies, candy..

1 - 20 of 155 Posts