Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you prepared for an emergency in your car?

We don't travel very far from home. If our car were to break down, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned. I do still like to have blankets and pocket hand warmers available. I could prepare better in our car though.

What types of things do you have in your car for emergencies?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
We have 3 emergency kits in our car.

Two have a blanket, safety pins, edible candles, scissors, bandaids, etc.

One has never been opened but it has a burner to melt snow, waterproof matches, edible candles, 2 pkgs. dehydrated food and a couple other things I can remember right now.

We always bring extra mitts, toques and clothing whenever we travel in the winter time.

Dh had a horrible experience when the kids were smaller. He had all 3 of the kids in the car we had at the time. It broke down and he had to walk several blocks to the nearest gas station. Unfortunately he had forgot to take along mitts for the kids. NOT ONE PERSON offered him a ride. Because both dd and ds#1 were able to put their hands in their parka pockets they were okay. Michael didn't know how. Dh said it was horrible trying to keep his hands warm. He learnt the hard way, always bring extras.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Like Sara, I don't usually have to travel very far. I do have a stash of stuff for emergencies, though.

I have bottled water, paper cups, flashlight, first aid kit, snacks etc. under the front seat of the van, and there are always blankets in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Oh, another thing I keep in the car that isn't just for winter is gallon size plastic ziplock bags for if someone gets carsick. :yucky:

I also have hand santizer and wet-wipes for that occasion (I also have all of us use the hand sanitizer after going to the grocery store and touching the cart or to the city library, etc.)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I pretty much count on my cell phone as my emergency car tool. I do have a cell phone charger & a small first aid kit in the car, as well as a stash of diapers, wipes, and anti-bacterial gel. I probably should do more, but, we don't go too far from home, and our house is only a mile or so outside of town, so I guess I don't worry about it too much.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Tater said:
Homesteadmamma -

What in the heck are edible candles?
I was going to ask the same thing...

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Tater and Michelle, I have never tasted them. But right on the container it says "edible candles". Want me to send them to you to try? :toothy:

Its not something I'd want to eat, but I guess in a pinch...... I've always wondered what they were made of, but just too chicken to try. I prefer food instead. :D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Since we live in the boonies we keep our car supplied.

Extra blankets
extra cell phone battery and hand crank charger for it
extra hat, gloves, socks
candles, lighter, waterproof matches
metal container for melting snow
dry soup, beef jerky, hot cocoa mix, tea bags, sugar
candy bars, trail mix, packets of nuts
de-icer
hand/foot/body warmers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts