Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter Pasta Salad

Recipe Description
This is a spicy salad (adapted from The Pasta Salad Book by Nina Graybill & Maxine Rapoport) that is big on flavor and made with veggies available year round. The pickled vegetables may be too spicy for some, I use a mild giardiniera and I just leave the Pepperocini peppers (if they have them in it) for hubby to eat.
Great for summertime picnics because it can sit out at room temp.​
Preparation Steps:
Original recipe asked for a small jar of sliced Pimiento and I don't think it adds much for the money so I omit. The dressing called for 3/4c. oil and that is too much for my tastes so I cut way back and used my immersion blender to whip it up.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
8 oz. twist pasta
1 lb. broccoli florets
9 oz jar Pickled Italian Vegetables (Giardiniera), drained

Dressing:
1/3c. olive oil
3T wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1tsp Dijon mustard
s&p to taste​
Serves:
Directions:
Cook pasta adding broccoli the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain, rinse in cold water and place in serving bowl.
Add pickled veggies.

In separate bowl mix dressing ingredients, slowly adding the oil.
Add dressing to salad, mix, taste & add s&p if needed. Let stand at room temp for flavors to blend.​

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
This sounds delicious, thank you . I will have to make this on the weekend. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
mmmm-I will definitely try it--thanks !!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't have/want the pickled veggies you can substitute your fav veggies. Unfortunately we opened the jar of giardiniera yesterday when making the salad, it didn't pop and had some fuzzy stuff around the edge so in the trash it went & we had to improvise with what was on hand. In addition to the broccoli we had some canned green chili's, black olives, roasted red pepper and cauliflower. BTW the recipe also tastes good chilled. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts