Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of us have a good stockpile , etc.
But if a winter storm is coming and you think you might lose
power, do you precook food and lay in extra stuff ?

We have a good woodpile stacked for heat. The generater has
gas in it. I keep some extra water in jugs. All kinds of food here.
And we do have a propane cook stove. And a extra tank of propane
in the shed. I try to stay current on laundry. I don't panic.

I was reading online this morning, and came across a post where
the lady preps some extra cooked food, including deserts,
makes sure water is drawn extra, and then orders in pizza ...

so, do you last minute make a run for something..........
or are you ready ?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
we have a generator. i hope there is gas in it... :bs2:

and i always have a case of water in my room, nothing like a fast to get you in the mood:skept:

·
27,948 Posts
We're pretty much always ready but I hear a nor'easter/blizzard is heading our way I'll double check and get any errands out of the way before hand. Gas, propane, water, food, check check check check.:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
The generator always has stabilized gas in it, and a spare jerry can. Since it can run the well pump, water is not a problem.

At the beginning of the winter, DW cooks up several soups and freezes them. Soup is easy to heat up on the wood stove.

We heat primarily with wood (electricity is a backup), so we keep a 2-year supply in the woodshed. The wood box in the basement has a two-week capacity, and we fill it up when there is a storm forecast. Not that the woodshed is a long way away, but it saves being outside in a blizzard or hurricane.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
We are usuallly ready, have gas for the generator, food & soups etc in the freezer, water is not a problem. We usually prepare in the fall, then there are no surprises later and we dont panic.

·
27,948 Posts
Feels good to be prepared doesn't it?:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I've got a load of wood coming Friday (we're lucky we didn't lose power last night), and my cooktop is propane plus we have the barbecue. So I can cook and stay warm. However, it didn't really occur to me until last night that I can't see in the dark :eek:. Normally storms seem to come early in the day and I would just get ready, then go to bed if power was still out at dark. Yesterday it came late afternoon, it was pitch dark at 4:30 and I was making dinner with the lights flickering when I realized that we don't even have a working flashlight.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
We have a kerosene heater for backup heat and extra kerosene in the garage. We also keep a case of water in the garage and I keep gallons of water in the pantry. I've been keeping my food stockpile filled. I could work on keeping some premade meals in the freezer to pop in the oven, but we have steaks & hamburgers ready to put on the grill.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
when i see a storm rollin our way, i check out our wine cache!!! lol. if we are going to be snowed in, might as well drink some good red wine!!

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i see a storm rollin our way, i check out our wine cache!!! lol. if we are going to be snowed in, might as well drink some good red wine!!
You gotta do what you gotta do :)

Me, I'm golden if I can make a batch of chocalate chip cookies :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I need to stock up on some water and sterno cans. Pretty sure this winter will be pretty cold.

·
Registered
904 Posts
When I lived in the country, we would stop at the gas station and get a loaf of bread and when we got home would fill up one of the tubs with water. When the power went out we would light a lamp and play cards until bedtime and then just go to bed. As I got older that changed a little, we bought a generator and would make sure we had gas for it.

Now that I live in the city, I know the water probably won't go out and it if does it will be back up with in a few hours at most. I have a small indoor propane heater that I keep plenty of gas bottles for. I have a grill on the porch and a camp stove with plenty of propane for cooking if necessary. So, now I don't really do anything to get braced for it.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
We don't have a generator or a fireplace, so I don't need to keep fuel for those. I do have a supply of sterno and liquid fuel, candles, oil lamps, etc. for light and a minimal amount of cooking. The grill tank is full, and I have some charcoal left for the smoker, but that's a long stretch in the winter. We survived the worst ice storm this area has seen in 50 years with just those few supplies.

I don't keep water on hand, as we're unlikely to loose it. DH has a commercial water filter hooked up now, so I am not worried about finding something "safe" to drink.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a great stock of food, Gas for the generator, and fire wood inside for heat..oil and candles for light..keep all of this year round just incase. About the only thing that I will get in extra wood if I am low in the winter but usually have it full all the time. I can usually go 3 to 4 days without going outside even...

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Generator filled with extra gas cans. Propane heater in the shop. We have a propane cooktop so good there. We usually fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets ... just in case. We would need the generator mostly for DFIL's oxygen concentrator machine The pantry and freezers are full. Flashlights and candles are always ready.

Yep, we are always ready. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I would be okay unless we have a long stretch with no power...........then I have no heat....brrrr.

Food, lighting, and water I am fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I keep fairly well prepared ahead of time, but if I know a storm is coming, I'll go buy some extra bread and milk, take stock of everything else to see what we're a little low on, and do some other minor things.

I like to get the power outage supplies ready, changing batteries in flashlights if need be, bring some firewood in, make sure my gas tank is completely filled, do dishes, and wash all the laundry and some extra blankets.

Hehe, I also like to make sure I'm showered. I make sure to take a shower when our water is still running, and the electricity is still on...nothing like having to take a shower in the dark or cold...or having no water to even TAKE the shower. I still have to go to work, even when the weather is bad, so I'd rather shower the night before, than to risk waking up with no way to bathe.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have a couple of hand cranked flashlights and lantern. (Also have one battery powered lantern but don't know if I have batteries for it.) The flashlights also have radios in them. However, I need to pick up a water filter. I tossed out my other one since it didn't seem to be as efficient anymore. I think I'm going to make the most of the day my car will be in the shop next week and clean out my fridge and food closet so I can restock them with healthier food.

On the other hand, my parents live down the street from me and they have both a fireplace (with a stock of wood) and a good stockpile of other stuff. I can walk there if it comes to that. (And I'd rather be there where I can keep an eye on them anyway if it comes down to it.)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, the home of Fluffernutters, Charleston Chews, Necco Waifers and Blizzards :lol:

I am lucky enough to have a gas stove and I make sure I have plenty of 'stove-top friendly' items in my pantry if the power goes out. I also have an 'old' perk pot.

Yesterday I was grabbing some fresh produce for a gift I was making and I heard someone say something about getting a snow storm on Christmas...

Off to aisle 4 -swoosh- 1 bag of coffee in to the grinder and set on 'perk'.

Diva: Why are you getting coffee?
Me: Coffee can save your life if the power goes out.
Diva: Coffee can save your life?
Me: No, it can save yours...

(another Mother in the aisle overheard me and giggled)

Priorities ya know!

We have a lot of blankets and if we lose power for a long time, or over-night, we all climb in to my bed and it gets so warm I have to jump out to cool off.

Handcranked flashlight/radio/phone charger for Old Man and I, an oil lamp and enough candles to re-enact the burning of Atlanta.

There's not much more to prep for... around here, blizzards are something that we are use to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts