Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I stockpile so that we will be able to eat for a long time to come. We have just enough spaghetti for about 75 meals. We have about 7 months worth of meat in the freezer and about another 120 packets of tuna and tons of peanut butter so we will have lots of protien. If I can get anything we use free after coupons I buy it. I have mastered couponing so that I spend less than $75 a month in groceries for 2 adult, 2 kids , cats and 1 dog. I am looking for otehr ways to save around the house and joined the boards here. We have guns and lots of ammo (father owns a shooting range). I know how to load bullets as my father has been doing it for years.
I love canning and usually just help my mom get hers done but this summer I am going to can lots because I am planning on a large garden.

I am no longer the Schwans man best friend as we have quit ordering from him. We used to order about $120 worth every 2 weeks at minimum but I haven't done that in over 3 years now.
We eat almost every meal at home with the exception of maybe 5 fast food meals. And then I usually have everyone eat off the dollar menu. The kids eat at school since it is free, so this saves on the amount of food that is prepared. I am wanting to start OAMC but not sure what to do but will be looking into it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not waiting too long.

When the terrible day comes and we all know it will. Who will you let in and who will you turn away? What questions would you ask yourself?

I've asked myself, the hard question, whose life is worth less than mine and my families.

Did I make a list of those kept out?
Yes.

Is it a long list?
Yes, and some are relatives.

Does it matter, Man,Woman or Child?
No. ( Because there are those that are simply Parasites :-( )

Was this easy?
No.

The people on my list, I no longer talk to them. Because if I'm friendly they will probably show up at my door. We haven't got there and already I am no longer my brothers keeper. I think we all hope and pray that no one comes.

When our officials tell us that it's none our business what they are doing with hundreds of billions of our money the urgency of preparing just went to the top of the list.

We made the decision 38 years ago to live as much like our grandparents as possible. #1 was to owe no one money and we quickly paid off the ranch. After that it's been cash for everything. The Amish say it best, "Buy what you need. not what you want." No, we're not Amish. :)

We have been putting up supplies for a long time and rotating them. There is enough to last our 16 member family for several years. We raise a large garden and livestock. We farm with a tractor and horses Our cellar recently became bigger than our house.

I made an extra fuel tank for my truck ( it came with 2 )and modified my Cab over camper so you don't notice it. With the 3 tanks I have 200 gals. Before it's too late this will let me round up my Sons and their families without stopping for fuel. I have stored quite a bit since the price dropped. Farms and Ranch's are allowed to keep storage tanks of fuel.

Everyone must make their own choices. But you cannot expect others to deny their families just to feed and shelter you.

If all of this seems harsh it is nothing compared a financial failure of our system.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Well, this has certainly been an interesting thread. It shows our diversity. We are all at different places in what we believe in preparedness and survival. Thought provoking.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am trying to pay down debt very quickly. Once it is gone, I will save as much as possible. I am currently looking for a way to earn extra income.

I am also trying to stock up on food. I already have a pretty good stockpile of shampoo/conditioner, body wash/soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes, detergent, and dish soap.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1. Don't forget sources for water and method for water purification. We have 1,000-gallon capacity in our rain barrels. Racks in the basement hold 5-gallon jugs (around 100-gallons). Several collapsible 5-gallon containers. Two 5-gallon camp showers (these are black bags you sit in the sun to heat the water for showers). We also have installed a way to securely hang one of these bags in our shower stall in the house in order to shower inside. I have an electric and a non-electric water distiller - the ultimate method for water purification.

2. I've made a commitment to only purchase basic - no frill - items, loss leaders, and discount specials on my trips to the grocery store. I'm using things from storage and replacing them as soon as there's a sale/bargain/coupon on the item.

3. Continue to reduce the use of high-priced meat.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some people I know call what we are living in "interesting times" some refer to this as "exciting times".
It is very "uneasy times" as far as I am concerned. I also have the foreboding feeling as if I should do more than I have done.
I know people say get out of debt and I am trying but I did not get into this much debt in a short period of time and I can get out of it in a short period of time.
I have stockpiled a years supply of several items by using coupons and loss leaders and am trying to figure out where the holes are in my preparing.
I wish so much that my house was paid for.
My job is pretty secure though no one is immune from losing their job.
I know some of the things I need to add is jars to can with and I want to add a chicken house and chickens.
I search and search trying to find what I should be doing to prepare for things to get worst and find nothing that I don't already know and am trying to do.
I still feel like I should do more so I know that my problem is that I am not turning it over to the one that provides all things and knowing a believing and trusting that God shows me the way and will help me to be prepared for anything.
As I am writing I realize that I need to spend less time looking for the answers on the web and spending more time with my Maker.
(Sorry didn't mean to step up to the pulpit)

Thanks OP Love reading this thread it makes me not feel alone in my concerns.

Reactions: frugal-fannie

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started a stockpile of dry food. When I went to Sam's club yesterday I bought 25# bags of rice, flour and sugar. I also stocked up on oil, spices and bought lots of stuff that we already use in bulk.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We are keeping track of what we are using each month now and not buying anything except what we have used. I keep a running total in my stockpile room and take it to the store when we go. It has got to be a super sale before we buy anything else.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My stockpile is really coming along very nicely as well as quickly. I have probably spent $700 on it so far not counting the shelves. I wanted a years worth. I find even with all the shelving I bought I will run out of room in the next few months.

Some things I would have completed a years worth, others maybe not.

Perhaps when it comes time I will find other storage ideas.

I think the important thing, no matter what you are attempting to accomplish,is to give 100% and then let the dust settle.

No one will ever be completely prepared in every aspect of what can/could/will go wrong.

meanwhile, the debt goes down, the savings go up, the food pile grows quickly,attitudes adjust, and wisdom grows.

I do need a way to store water. I also need a few bags of cat food.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My stockpile is really coming along very nicely as well as quickly. I have probably spent $700 on it so far not counting the shelves. I wanted a years worth. I find even with all the shelving I bought I will run out of room in the next few months.

Some things I would have completed a years worth, others maybe not.

Perhaps when it comes time I will find other storage ideas.

I think the important thing, no matter what you are attempting to accomplish,is to give 100% and then let the dust settle.

No one will ever be completely prepared in every aspect of what can/could/will go wrong.

meanwhile, the debt goes down, the savings go up, the food pile grows quickly,attitudes adjust, and wisdom grows.

I do need a way to store water. I also need a few bags of cat food.
I admire the fact that set your mind to this and you are following through with it. WAY TO GO

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
meters for propane

I went to Sams club. I bought some outdoor solar lights. I also found a meter for propane so you can check how much gas you have in your grill propane tank. I then went to walmart bought a years supply of starter sets for onions and more strawberry roots. I will start growing them soon along with more fruit trees at Lowes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought my seeds and I bought a lot of them going to put out a big garden

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We are keeping track of what we are using each month now and not buying anything except what we have used. I keep a running total in my stockpile room and take it to the store when we go. It has got to be a super sale before we buy anything else.
I think that is the beauty of a stockpile. Once you have it built up you can afford to wait for the super sale to stock up again.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I continue my preparation. I've been reading a lot. I have pulled out my dehydrator book again. Now that I have my juicer, it has opened even more frugal stockpiling ideas and projects.

I've also started working on a "canning" stockpile. Doesnt do me any good to know how to can unless I have rings, lids and pectin does it?

Bleach and Borax are next on my list. Borax can be used for bug control. I also got another box of D-Con rodent bait. I've heard a rumor that my town may cut the days of trash pick up. Well, the rodents would multiply even faster IMHO.

Did you know that rodents such as mice, gerbils, rats can have a new litter of 12 EVERY 28 DAYS??????

Now that's enough reason to stock up on rat bait for sure!:yikes::yikes:

I'm tellin ya, we've only ever had 2 mice all the years my dh and I've been together, but he knows that I get absolutely hysterical.

And those #*(&*&(* things will always run across my shoe while I'm in the middle of a room instead of sticking by the baseboards...... it kills me.

Yes that's me screaming honey honey get your gun! bwhwhwh:crackup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have been trying to convince DW that we need to stockpile more dry goods including wheat, corn, beans and rice. One thing years of marriage has taught me is that sometimes persistence pays. I am waiting for her to say"whatever". Sometimes, that is the best I can hope for.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Instead of getting DCon go to the animal shelter and foster a feral cat. I have always had cats and have never had a mouse or rat (except as a gift) in 26+years.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Instead of getting DCon go to the animal shelter and foster a feral cat. I have always had cats and have never had a mouse or rat (except as a gift) in 26+years.
Your esp is turned on! This past fall, as we were filling our "red shed" (has a hole in the wall from the previous owner) we saw some black cats who "hang out" in our little barn. I told dh we're gonna supplement the cats. Now he put up a fuss, but he said I was too late...he'd been giving momma kitty food for some time! :crackup:

So this winter, they are still feral, but sit on the fence post and "watch" us. They don't get near us, but we do have a mutual understanding.

We were fortunate that birds didn't peck our garden this summer because every once in a while we would find a kill in the garden. Neighbors across the alley lost almost all their stuff due to birds.

My rat bait is unopened and unused. My family of black kitties are sassy and act like they own my yard.

We were so worried around the 4th of July and halloween because of the fireworks and general meanies that scare cats for fun, but dh got his flashlight out and there they were in the little red barn hanging out....:hocus:

Reactions: fixer

·
Registered
945 Posts
The times don't really have as much to do with our lifestyle change as much as an awakening to what is really valuable. We have never had debt, beyond the house, and have always had an EF (dh works construction and even in good economic times weather and such can keep you from getting a paycheck). So, I don't really worry about our place in the world. I pray for those losing their homes and jobs and pray that dh's job continues to be there but we were already prepared, no need to take special measures at this point. We don't stress and worry about what may be because that won't change a thing. We will just take it a day at a time and if the worst happened financially we'd still have our wonderful family.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
6 Posts
to do

With the economic situation we are in, what steps have you taken to prepare for hard times. Every time I watch the news I get a nagging feeling that I should be doing something. I prepare even in good times, so I am at a loss on what to do.
Fixer, yesterday my family activated our pandemic evacuation plan, we are now in the process of getting all of our stuff & supplies out of Denver and into rural Iowa. In case you are interested, my website is still up and running, but won't be updated for the foreseeable future till we get settled in;

link is drum-runners.com

41 - 60 of 183 Posts