Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think if I was going to do something like the lady did in the photo, I'm not sure DH would go for it so I'll have to work on him. Otherwise he is happy for me to store food, I cleared out one tall cupboard for that and have a few places upstairs for toiletries. Its amazing how quickly it mounts up but I do feel weird, I dont know anyone else who stockpiles, yet, but I have to do something. I am noticing emptier shelves in the supermarket and prices are crazy which is my main motivation.

I'll definitely be looking in here for advice, I just wish I had space!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Its amazing how quickly it mounts up but I do feel weird, I dont know anyone else who stockpiles, yet, but I have to do something.

I can promise you that you are not the only one in your area that is stockpiling, most preppers keep quite & go unnoticed.
They will not 'advertise' why they are buying what they are buying.
Most of them don't want to bring attention to themselves or their purchases.
It's just a way of life for them & they feel like most people don't care or don't want to know why they are preparing.

I just recently joined another forum online & am amazed at the amount of people that are on there from Tennessee.

I can't imagine not having a supportive spouse.
Although I will say that Mike was not fond of the whole buying cases & 50 lb. bags of items until we were short on money a few times, and he quickly realized how much easier our day to day lives were with not having to buy groceries and live.
It was a very quick learning experience for him.
Since then, he's been much more supportive.

Just try not to pressure you husband, don't make it a big deal, but don't allow his negativity to discourage you from continuing on.
Go with your gut instincts on this and don't let him sway your conviction.

I'm surely not suggesting you completely disregard his concerns or feelings, but let him know that this is something that you feel strongly about & that you feel is a necessity more than a want.

Good Luck on finding more storage room!:tay:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
We put in a pantry where the "mop closet" used to be, and I'm busily filling it. My husband works in construction so we always have to think a bit like this.

We started our "survival prep" by buying a house with a basement. A 1950's basement with 2 foot thick walls (nukes dontcha know!) It's about 700 square feet and we put in a "bedroom" in one corner. It's still pretty grim down there but we've only had the house for 18 months.

Then we got really good camping gear including zero degree sleeping bags, a wind up lantern and little propane stove and a lot of other stuff..(even a fire top espresso maker..hey no one said survival has to suck.)

PSST..for super cool "civilization has fallen" gear go to an SCA event. They are re-creating the middle ages (as they should have been).

I've also stockpiled a lot of paper products and toiletries.

I get that spooked feeling sometimes too. But sometimes I wonder if that isn't at least partially because I've already done so much of the "reccomended" stuff that there seems so little left that I can do.

If you were absolutely new to all of this, there'd be so much stuff to do just to get started. But once you've been at it for a while, so much of the easy stuff is already done. And usually the projects you haven't done yet are ones it's awfully hard to afford.

Oh, also, DH, DD, and I are stocking up on books we want to read, but we're just shelving them for now. We figure it will work for everything from "we had to cancel cable" to "we have to barricade ourselves in the basement".

I still have a lot of stocking up to do, but I can only do it as the $$ comes in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
PSST..for super cool "civilization has fallen" gear go to an SCA event. They are re-creating the middle ages (as they should have been).
:laugh: Been there, done that for many years!

Even more practical, though, is Revolutionary War reenacting. Among other things, there's black powder weaponry...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too, am feeling that I'm starting way late on my storage plans. I've got a good many canned goods from last years garden and more purchased canned goods, but not enough to last a long stretch. Money's pretty tight right now, but it only is going to get worse as inflation starts to drive prices up.

·
2,688 Posts
I'm trying to be extra careful how I spend money on groceries.
My unemployment will run out soon, so I am already trying to cut back enough so we can just live on his money. It's not going to be pretty.
We have next winter's wood supply paid, and already in place for our heat. I have a small EF in place. It will be enough for our taxes come fall, if nothing comes up between now and then . Cash and carry and no new loans of any kind.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I too, am feeling that I'm starting way late on my storage plans. I've got a good many canned goods from last years garden and more purchased canned goods, but not enough to last a long stretch. Money's pretty tight right now, but it only is going to get worse as inflation starts to drive prices up.
I replied to someone else's post the other day & she was feeling about the same way.

Begin where you are.
Take an inventory of what you do have on hand & then move forward from that point.
If you have 30 jars of canned green beans, then I wouldn't spend my money on green beans, I would move onto dry pasta or oatmeal, etc.

If you feel like you have enough canned foods, then begin on your dry goods~oatmeal, rice, dried beans, pasta, flour, powdered milk, etc.
Every item that you can pick up extra, will be one additional item that you will be adding to your 'pile', and before you know it, you will have a fully stocked 6 month supply.

But please don't get discouraged and do nothing. Don't feel like you are already falling so far behind that you feel you can never catch up.
Begin today.
Move forward from today.
Each step you take, will bring you one step closer.

I think some of us get all wound up in feeling so overwhelmed with not knowing where to start, we feel like giving up before we even begin.
But taking that first step/adding that first can/putting aside that extra $5.00 for long-term storage foods, is another step towards being better prepared & more self-reliant.

Don't get discouraged, we are here for support!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm trying to be extra careful how I spend money on groceries.
My unemployment will run out soon, so I am already trying to cut back enough so we can just live on his money. It's not going to be pretty.
We have next winter's wood supply paid, and already in place for our heat. I have a small EF in place. It will be enough for our taxes come fall, if nothing comes up between now and then . Cash and carry and no new loans of any kind.
Do not forget that (if you qualify) to apply for government assistance~food stamps will at least help to keep you & your husband fed & do not be too proud to accept them if you need them.

You & your husband are in my thoughts.

·
Banned
952 Posts
what she said! it's never too late. hit the dollar stores, and salvage grocery stores if theres any in your area. forget the splurge( whatever it might be, or how little it might be) and use it to stock the pantry. you can do it.

·
2,688 Posts
Do not forget that (if you qualify) to apply for government assistance~food stamps will at least help to keep you & your husband fed & do not be too proud to accept them if you need them. You & your husband are in my thoughts.
My unemployment is based on my last 2 part time jobs. Which was like 15 to 20 hrs per week. So I don't get a lot of money. But it has been taking care of our groceries and our gas money.
The last 2 winters we have qualified for Heap money to help with the heat bill. My hubby does work a full time job.
The other day, I got curious and went online to do some pencil pushing on a government website. To see what was available now and for a plan B when my unemployment runs out.
Turns out we could get some food stamps of some smaller amount, which would be spring , summer and fall months. Not winter as he does get some OT then. Not the full amount though. I told hubby I know we are low income but it sure is mind boggling to think our income is slipping even more so. Currently I take advantage of a food pantry which is once a month. I don't feel guilty or too proud to accept a little help. I would rather do this and still be able to make ends meet. We both have worked hard all our lives, like a lot of other folks out there.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Currently I take advantage of a food pantry which is once a month. I don't feel guilty or too proud to accept a little help. I would rather do this and still be able to make ends meet. We both have worked hard all our lives, like a lot of other folks out there.
I'm glad to hear this.
I have often heard of people eating rice & pork 'n beans continually for weeks on end instead of applying for assistance.
Not that there is anything at all wrong with rice & beans, but if a person can qualify for assistance in order to eat a more healthy, well-balanced meal, then I feel that they should.

But in this day and time, if one needs the help & will qualify, then a person defiantely needs to apply for any help they can get.

I'm glad to hear that you have begun to check into what your family would qualify for *beforehand*, that way you already have an idea of what amount you could be recieving.

I wish you both luck & I will continue to say a prayer for your family.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Tonight, I looked at our retirement funds and our other investments. Even though it was scary, it was also empowering. Instead of wondering how bad it was, I made a list of everything with up to date values. Honestly, it was not as bad as I expected. Or, it was not as bad as the news lead me to believe.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That was really brave fixer! Good for you. Sometimes just facing what we think is a total disaster is the hardest part.

I've found a new odd strategy for stockpiling, don't know that it's the best strategy, but I just try out every idea I get.

Whenever they have a BOGO deal or a buy two get one free deal on something I already buy, I put the free one in the stockpile. Oddly enough it seems to be working, and really diversifying the stockpile.

I never really realized that if it's going to be used over a long period of time it's good for it to be big..but it probably needs more variety as well.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've simply stopped being much of a consumer and I am doing everything possible to NOT spend money and to save it in the bank instead. I don't shop much for "fun" anymore. I seldom even stop at yard sales because it's hard for me to pass up a bargain and instead I want to have my own sale and purge all this excess stuff we don't really need. I've slowed down on my internet purchases also for things I like to collect. I've decided I have "enough". I've rented only one video in the past 4 months and I've been getting them for free at the library or watching shows online for free also. I never buy them. No magazine or newspaper subscriptions unless they are free. I don't clip coupons for those things I don't use, either nor do I waste time looking at sale ads for stores further than 5 miles from home. It's not worth my time or the gas running around just to use a handful of coupons when my pantry and freezer is full.

I've stockpiled since way back before the cans and boxes shrunk and the price increased.I am stockpiled to the max and some items I will not be replacing once they run out. Things like cereals, white flour, sugar and artificial sweetners are going to be a thing of the past while I focus on using healthier alternatives and cooking my own breads, breakfast food and crackers rather than purchasing the over-processed garbage they are selling now. It's time for a big change and since food is no longer cheap and convenient I will be much more choosy about what I buy and what we eat. In a small way, the recession or depression, whatever you want to call it, has forced me to taking steps like this that I would otherwise not even think much about because it was too cheap and easy to buy convenience foods. Now the best way to save money is to make everything yourself and be choosier about the ingredients you use.

I can't even rely on buying fresh produce at the big grocers because of e-coli and other scares so I will be buying more local, preserving what I can and not buying as much. I also will be trying to grow more of my own food. The things I happen to like most are not even that hard to grow.

That's my plan. It was interesting reading what others are doing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I could have written those exact words, handymom.

I have a bookcase under the stairs, most of the books we never ever look at so I will be selling those and buying a cabinet, for my stockpile to go in as we have very little space here.

I remember a couple of Christmases ago, the pressure of spending money when we didnt have it and I longed for a more simpler time when kids got just one item or much less than they do today. I feel relief that that time is coming, I think it is a positive thing for my family anyway.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Now that I got a running inventory sheet of my stockpile going I feel a little bit more in control. Today I am adding the prices to it so I always know I am getting my best deal.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Today I will continue to use my dehydrator and free up some more room in my pantry. I'm liking it so far, it's providing me with TONS MORE SPACE.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
if i didn't have so much darn debt....i would be buying up the stock market right now....that's what i would be doing ....:jabber:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I thought I would bump this up. And check how people are doing and if they have updated their plans for weathering this(I think it is going to be a double dip recession. I am still in moneymarket/basic savings plan in the 401k and plan to stay that way for a while yet. My husband is retiring by the end of next year so may roll it out and buy a house in the 401k at that time. If there is a big crash I may put a toe into the market in my 401k. I am still looking just to continue to pay debt and stockpile so I have only been maximizing the DH 401k. I would like to buy more gold but cannot at this time. My stockpile would be enough to get me thru a year but I am now working on the 2 year plan, I am only trying to buy the necessary stuff. All the earthquakes have me getting more prepared with stockpile and possibly moving is making me sell off items so I do not have to cart them with me.

Reactions: fixer

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Dh and I fear inflation. To hedge against our money being less we are buying non perishables and storing them. I've also been creating a stockpile of HBA. You can't really do this too much with medications because of the expiration date. I'm also buying ahead shoes, coats, jeans, sweatshirts for the kids when I find a great sale. I'm buying very plain items that won't be dated. We can always add a few 'cool' items later. Even if inflation doesn't hit these are all things we can use so there's no real economic downside.

81 - 100 of 183 Posts