Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Now that's what you call decluttering, lol I dont think I could do that :) I wonder how much she got for it all? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Humm- to each his own. Im clutter free myself but that is extream. The woman had moved a lot and changes careers often. SHe was a lawer and now she dilvers legal documents?????

·
Registered
294 Posts
As of the article date the high bid was $100.00. The reserve was $2000.00
Can you imagine selling your entire life for $2000?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Wow, is all I can say. I can't quite wrap my mind around selling everything. On the other hand, even when I'm paying attention it seems like stuff just multiplies around here. You should see all the "stuff" we came home with for the girls after Easter, yesterday, from friends, family, etc.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imagine what the shipping would be! If I really wanted to get rid of everything I'd just donate it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was just going to post about this.. I think what she is doing is wonderful. She is only keeping what truly matters to her and starting a new life - good for her!! Some of us just don't like stuff, though this is extreme decluttering. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow. I don't think I'd go the Ebay route, myself. There's always a fee even if the item doesn't sell. I'd rather take out free ads in the "Pennysaver" type of newspaper.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We simplify and pare things down with every move. We currently live in a 782 sq. ft. house. We also hold an annual garage sale to get rid of surplus, and we donate to the Goodwill and DAV. My ultimate dream is to live aboard a custom RV/Bus. You wouldn't want many belongings with a full-time RV lifestyle. I don't think I would spend more than two or three years living on the road, but who wants to pay storage on a bunch of stuff you can live without for three years?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was thinking about it, I admire her for doing that. Not many people can let go of their belongings. I cannot probably do that on my own since I'm married and everything I have isn't just mine, I share ownership of them with DH.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When we moved from Fl. to NC last June we sold 90% of what we own. We kept a few clothes and things that had sentimental value to us. We didn't do Ebay though, we had a yard sale and sold alot on craigslist. It really was nice to move, and not have alot to pack and unpack and start fresh when we got here.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When my mom and I moved to the U.S. from Germany she sold everything we had except our clothes, some of my toys, and our dog. Cost of shipping over the Atlantic was obviously a factor.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It's a neat idea, I could see doing it if you were planning on moving to a new state and could rent a furnished apartment.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When my mom and I moved to the U.S. from Germany she sold everything we had except our clothes, some of my toys, and our dog. Cost of shipping over the Atlantic was obviously a factor.
When we moved here last year we brought 8 suitcases weighing 75 pounds each. We have a few boxes in storage at Dh's grandma's house, but not a lot. (Mostly just sentimental stuff and stuff I couldn't afford to replace) We sold or gave away everything else. We had been blessed by so many people giving us things to set up our house, we wanted to bless someone else the same way. We know that if we ever have a need for those things again, God will provide the way for us to get them.

We're bringing even less back home with us since we gave away the clothes the girls outgrew throughout the year.

·
27,948 Posts
Good for her! Hope her dreams come true. When you really think of it~ most stuff, is well, just stuff.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
One night I was thinking -- I don't know why -- about what I would absolutely have to replace if the apartment burned down. I came up with: kitchen stuff, bed, table, chair, clothing, a computer, and a handful of books that I cannot imagine being without. That was about it. Everything else I could do without, and a lot of it I wish I didn't even have now. So why do I have all this stuff? Gradually I am easing more of it out, donating it to a friend's garage sale, giving it to folks who need/want it more than I do. I couldn't get rid of as much as this woman is -- I would just have to turn around and replace some of it -- but I still have a lot that could go if I were really committed to barebones living.

Not long after I took a look at how much coverage I had on my renters insurance and thought "why???" I called and took $10,000 off of it. It was for way more than I would need for replacement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts